logo
Old 06-14-2017, 01:23 AM
Find More Posts by Archie2010
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Apr 2014
14 Posts
Discussion
How do you repair a chipped canopy?

I just built my first gasser - Pilot RC 87" Edge 540. Successful maiden lasst weekend but I accidentally dropped the canopy on the floor and chipped the back edge of it. Luckily no cracks in the clear portion of the canopy. Pictures attached.

I was thinking of cutting a 4"x1" piece from a thin plastic sheet and epoxying it on top of the cracked area followed by sanding and shaping and painting.

I am looking for some advise on what would be the best materials to use for this. Also, is there a better way to fix this?

Thanks for any help. Cheers.
Archie2010 is offline Find More Posts by Archie2010
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-14-2017, 07:08 AM
Find More Posts by 3ddave
United States, MN, Eagan
Joined Jun 2008
122 Posts
Are the broken off chips gone? Have med ca chips back in place, then squeegeed epoxy on light weight fiber glass cloth to the bottom side. Sharpie dark blue marker for that final paint touch up.
If done right, hard to spot repair and that edge will be stronger than original and most seem to crack or chip right in that general area, somewhere along the way.
3ddave is offline Find More Posts by 3ddave
Old 06-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
641 Posts
Put a doubler on that back former to support the canopy from the inside, and to cover the space that's there. You can also use Automotive body filler, the ones used for plastic bumpers. Apply and let dry, then shape it using 80 grit, then work your way to 300 then 600 grit.

When done and blended, mask the area and paint.

Make sure all ares with the body filler is supported.

Hope this helps.
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 06-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
641 Posts
Your method of filling in with plastic, then using body filler will work as well.

Enjoy
Old 06-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Joined Apr 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ddave View Post
Are the broken off chips gone? Have med ca chips back in place, then squeegeed epoxy on light weight fiber glass cloth to the bottom side. Sharpie dark blue marker for that final paint touch up.
If done right, hard to spot repair and that edge will be stronger than original and most seem to crack or chip right in that general area, somewhere along the way.
I have the broken chips but they are very small pieces and not sure if I have everything. it would be like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. It would also need a sturdy base to hold it together.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Joined Apr 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
Put a doubler on that back former to support the canopy from the inside, and to cover the space that's there. You can also use Automotive body filler, the ones used for plastic bumpers. Apply and let dry, then shape it using 80 grit, then work your way to 300 then 600 grit.

When done and blended, mask the area and paint.

Make sure all ares with the body filler is supported.

Hope this helps.
Thanks JoeT. I am also looking in to FiberFix Rigid Patch. I think that combined with the automotive filler as you have recommended may work.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Gettin better 1 crash@ a time!
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,313 Posts
I was faced with a similar issue on my AW Extra260 Freestyle canopy--AW is gone, so I had to do the repairs. I cut a piece of 1/64 ply the width of the blue band at the back of your canopy, and epoxied it in a hoop shape over the top of the canopy. Sanded/smoothed the front edge, applied a coat of finishing epoxy, then painted with white paint to match my canopy. It does leave that 1/64" lip, but looks pretty good and is stronger than stock on that overlapped back edge
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old 06-14-2017, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Lancaster , PA
Joined Dec 2007
3,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy View Post
I was faced with a similar issue on my AW Extra260 Freestyle canopy--AW is gone, so I had to do the repairs. I cut a piece of 1/64 ply the width of the blue band at the back of your canopy, and epoxied it in a hoop shape over the top of the canopy. Sanded/smoothed the front edge, applied a coat of finishing epoxy, then painted with white paint to match my canopy. It does leave that 1/64" lip, but looks pretty good and is stronger than stock on that overlapped back edge
Just have to make sure that type of fix does not impede the canopy from sitting flat when installed because of clearance where it extends over the turtledeck.
flyin4fun is offline Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Old 06-14-2017, 07:09 PM
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin4fun View Post
Just have to make sure that type of fix does not impede the canopy from sitting flat when installed because of clearance where it extends over the turtledeck.
Yes, that's exactly what I needed--mine chipped similar to OP's, but didn't go forward of back canopy former. However, it needed to overlap turtle deck, so gluing it to the top of existing canopy worked well.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by brokenprops
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Jan 2014
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie2010 View Post
I have the broken chips but they are very small pieces and not sure if I have everything. it would be like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. It would also need a sturdy base to hold it together.
put tape on the bottom sticky side up to hold pieces in place. then glue fill in the voids and paint
brokenprops is offline Find More Posts by brokenprops
Old 06-15-2017, 05:05 PM
Joined Apr 2014
14 Posts
Thanks everyone for some great suggestions. Rebuilding from the broken chips is not going to work for me because i have too many pieces, many of them are under quarter inch in size. Also few missing pieces.

The suggestions from wyo69cowboy sounds the most effective way to have a strong and clean fix. This is what I will try to do subject to the clearance over the turtledeck mentioned by flyin4fun.

Thanks again guys. Cheers.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,313 Posts
I'll try to get some pics tonite of the finished product and post them tomorrow
Old 06-16-2017, 01:10 PM
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,313 Posts
Here are some pics of my completed repairs. It ended up a little wavy in a couple spots; I needed more clamps to hold it flatter while glueing lol. Even though there's a gap on the left side in the one pic, when push down and attached with the mounting screws, it sits quite nicely against the fuse.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
641 Posts
That's a great repair!! looks great!!
Old 06-17-2017, 12:39 AM
Joined Apr 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy View Post
Here are some pics of my completed repairs. It ended up a little wavy in a couple spots; I needed more clamps to hold it flatter while glueing lol. Even though there's a gap on the left side in the one pic, when push down and attached with the mounting screws, it sits quite nicely against the fuse.
Thanks wyo69cowboy. I really appreciate this. I will be working on fixing this over the weekend. Will post pictures when done.