Old 01-06-2019, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by njrcflyer2
Ed Alt
Randolph, NJ
Joined Dec 2006
4 Posts
Discussion
Tech-Aero Ultra IBEC HV added to product line

Hi all. I saw that there was a recent thread related to HV IBEC capabilities. This is just to confirm that Tech-Aero Designs LLC is now offering the Ultra IBEC HV for use with higher voltage ignition modules, with a choice of 5.9V, 6.3V, 7.3V and 8V output to the ignition via jumper selection.

Please note that nearly all present day ignition modules will work reliably at the 5.9V setting, however we are continuing to offer the original Ultra IBEC with its jumper selectable range of 5V, 5.3V, 6.1V and 6.6V to assure that everyone is able to configure their ignition system the way they prefer.

Please also note that the HV version is the same design as you've been using for years, it just has a change in the value of one resistor component that causes the output voltage range to shift to the new higher range, and there is no price increase.
njrcflyer2 is offline Find More Posts by njrcflyer2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-06-2019, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
Thank you!
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 01-17-2020, 02:59 PM
Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Team Twisted!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2006
5,907 Posts
What voltage setting do you use for a single DLE ignition?

Why are there so many different voltage settings?

And....do you use the standard or high voltage version for the DLE?
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Last edited by STLAV8R; 01-17-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
Awesome ��
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 01-17-2020, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLAV8R View Post

Why are there so many different voltage settings?

And....do you use the standard or high voltage version for the DLE?
This isn't a DLE issue but applies to pretty much any engine that uses the RCexl ignition. These ignitions have been produced for different voltages and I have (4) different ignitions here that came with different DLE engines over the last 10 years. Their working voltage printed on the ignition box includes the following ranges: 4.8 - 6 volts, 4.8 - 8.4 volts, 6 - 12 volts and 4.8 - 14 volts. These are pretty much in the order they were produced.

I'd set the voltage from the Tech Aero with in the range of voltages printed on the particular ignition I was working with. Any ignition labeled with a high voltage of 8.4 volts or more will tolerate full Lipo voltage so you could use the highest setting on the Tech Aero. There are multiple voltages available from the Tech Aero so you have a choice of voltages to work with the particular ignition you have. Stay within the range of voltages on the ignition box and you should be good to go. One exception, the older 4.8 - 6 volt ignition always seemed to work best with at least 6 volts and would sometimes kick back or misfire at 4.8 volts.

Use either the HV or regular Tech Aero IBEC depending on which input and output voltage range best suits your needs.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 01-18-2020, 07:01 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Mar 2006
5,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
This isn't a DLE issue but applies to pretty much any engine that uses the RCexl ignition. These ignitions have been produced for different voltages and I have (4) different ignitions here that came with different DLE engines over the last 10 years. Their working voltage printed on the ignition box includes the following ranges: 4.8 - 6 volts, 4.8 - 8.4 volts, 6 - 12 volts and 4.8 - 14 volts. These are pretty much in the order they were produced.

I'd set the voltage from the Tech Aero with in the range of voltages printed on the particular ignition I was working with. Any ignition labeled with a high voltage of 8.4 volts or more will tolerate full Lipo voltage so you could use the highest setting on the Tech Aero. There are multiple voltages available from the Tech Aero so you have a choice of voltages to work with the particular ignition you have. Stay within the range of voltages on the ignition box and you should be good to go. One exception, the older 4.8 - 6 volt ignition always seemed to work best with at least 6 volts and would sometimes kick back or misfire at 4.8 volts.

Use either the HV or regular Tech Aero IBEC depending on which input and output voltage range best suits your needs.
Appreciate the info. I will have to take the cowl off to verify but believe it is the 4.8 to 8.4 version. If that is the case, what voltage should it get set to? It sounds like I would need the HV edition IBEC then.

Also....can you use different ignitions on the same engine without changing anything else?

Lastly.....why would you need to operate it at 12 or 14 volts? That seems really high!
Old 01-18-2020, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Appreciate the info. I will have to take the cowl off to verify but believe it is the 4.8 to 8.4 version. If that is the case, what voltage should it get set to? It sounds like I would need the HV edition IBEC then.

Also....can you use different ignitions on the same engine without changing anything else?

Lastly.....why would you need to operate it at 12 or 14 volts? That seems really high!
If you have the 4.8 to 8.4 V version, you could set the IBEC to any voltage in that range ..... but many would probably opt for a voltage between the middle and the higher end of that range as some ignitions are known to misfire or kick back at the lower voltages. That may or may not be the case here and only experimenting could yield an answer. I really wouldn't worry about it much unless you experience a problem. With that ignition, either of the Tech Aero models would work just fine.

There is a trend towards higher voltages and perhaps the higher voltage ranges on the ignitions reflects that trend ..... I don't know. The next wave of servos coming on the market also reflect higher voltage operation so maybe Rcexl just wanted to get a jump on the market with higher voltage compatibility for their ignitions. I don't worry about the high end of the voltage range but do worry about the low end. I stiff prefer LiFe batteries and their voltage is on the low end of many of the newer ignitions which could be a problem for me and many others who have the same preference.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 01-18-2020, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
of many DLE and DA engines, I have never changed the IBEC voltage from the default setting.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 01-18-2020, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
I run my DLE 55RA at the 6.6 volt setting. Works fine.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 01-20-2020, 11:11 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Mar 2006
5,907 Posts
Truckracer, FGNewbie and Judge - thanks guys for the info.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by Fly N Dutchman
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Feb 2006
120 Posts
How do you program these? I have travel set to -150 on one end and 150 on the other. Tried 0 at one end. get light no mater what setting i use.
Fly N Dutchman is offline Find More Posts by Fly N Dutchman
Old 07-09-2022, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
Instructions supplied or via website are pretty strait forward -
Are you on a switch or slider or dial ?
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 07-09-2022, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,091 Posts
You may want to plug it into a servo tester if you have one, just to see the light turns on and off properly. I typically use -100/+100% but it typically turns on and off with less than 100%.

Look carefully at the photos in the instruction manual to make 100% certain that the end plugged in to the receiver is the receiver input lead, and not the battery input lead. It's possible the leads were mislabeled, although I've not personally seen that.
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 07-09-2022, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
You can put it on a slider, a knob, or a switch. Travel at 100% in both directions. There’s nothing to program. On the unit but possibly in your transmitter. If using spektrum the monitor will tell you whether a signal is being sent.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 07-09-2022, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
Yeah they're all straight forward and can use any open channel. No programming whatsoever on the device itself.

Depending on your system/transmitter, and/or mixes, make sure you're plugging into an open channel and not one that's mixed with something else. If there's any programming involved it will be in your transmitter. The device should work with travels set at +/- 100.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant

Quick Reply