logo
Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
The mounting area for the motor dome in the pictures above looks a lot different than the same for the plane that started the Extra 330 SC thread.... hmmmm
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
You are right, the cowl and the canopy are wrong. It is not the 60cc CARF 330SC it is the older CARF 330 not the SC. It has the big canopy and one large oval air inlet for the spinner and cylinders. The SC has separate holes for each and the openings on each side of the spinner are rectangular. The one he has is no longer produced, it was discontinued when the SC came out.
Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
Which means that neither one of us know what the F(*& we're talking about, and we need to give his thread back to him!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
LOL, we just assumed he had the SC because he first started posting in the SC thread.
Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by Brave
Joined Jan 2008
222 Posts
You are right..... This is the 330L 2.3. I posted there before I began to notice all the differences. My bad. Not sure how long this one has been out but it was on special last year which probably means that its discontinued. At any rate I have noticed that there's a few more things that I'm faced with being that it's an older model. Biggest problem, I had to fill and re-groove all the control surface control horns. Not a big deal, just took up an evening that I wanted to use doing the servo install.
Brave is offline Find More Posts by Brave
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
My first composite plane was a 100cc sized Edge 540 from Xtreme Composites (supposedly an off-shoot from Comp-ARF years ago). It came with no instructions, and I couldn't find a build thread. Anyway, I eventually jumped into building it. It was similar to your 330L in that none of the control horns and other pieces were included. The one big mistake I made was glueing the clear canopy on before I mounted the blind nuts for the canopy frame.

This plane didn't have the tabs for the canopy mounted, so I had to mount those, cut holes in the fuse for them to fit through, then tape the canopy frame in place, mark and drill through the fuse, through the mounting tabs, then remove it all and mount the blind nuts. It all came out OK, but it was a bear to get it done properly.

A friend of mine had ordered a CARF 100cc Extra, and all of that was done for him, the control horns were mounted, etc... I could still kick myself for going with the Xtreme Composites plane just to save a few hundred dollars. That plane was also probably the worse coupling plane I ever had.... sold it quick!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Find More Posts by Brave
Joined Jan 2008
222 Posts
Yeah, I'm glad I've never made a mistake in this hobby..... I pretty much assume most things to require more work than expected in most builds. I actually, suprised that this thing is as true as it is. Being an older model, I figured Carf would have expected me to do more.
I have a Carf 3M Yak that was really nice but I had it painted a custom scheme at the factory. Very very smooth bird. Still have a lil 2.6M yak thats another story in the attic. May pull it down after this one.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Find More Posts by Brave
Joined Jan 2008
222 Posts
So far things are moving along nicely. Got all the phenolics doubled up and Hysoled, and all servos and links installed. Trimmed the insides of the elevators to give me more throw, like I'm going to actually 3D this thing.....lol.
I managed to get the 3/16th ply firewall spacer installed and the engine and firewall dome mounted. I wanted to see how this thing was going to balance out with most everything major in place. Looks like it balances at 115mm. The manual says 100-115mm from the leading edge at the tip. I didn't have batts, the rudder servo equip., or electronics, but I did throw the mufflers and prop on the front just to see, so I'm happy with that. This gives me room to play. Can't believe having to mount everything to the engine dome just to still come in a bit tail heavy. This thing is going to be on rails!!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
Looks like your extra "nose weight" is paying off"
Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by Brave
Joined Jan 2008
222 Posts
Seems like I'm spending more time just looking at the bird, watching hurricane Sandy's aftermath, and knocking down Dos Equies rather than building..... Anyway, here's an update.....
Moved the push rods closer to the servos to help elilminate slop and stress on the servos. Will give me less throw but I don't need much on this plane. Really had to fight the urge to use carbon fiber everywhere, but I'm just going to get this thing done and up and beat on it. Maybe the next one will be all blinged out. Also, couldn't help but include a pict. of a really sweet 4 cylinder engine.....
Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by Brave
Joined Jan 2008
222 Posts
She's basically finished..... excluding the blisters on the cowl that I still have to make. All I need is the custom badger switch and A123 batt from Fromeco and shes ready to maiden smoke and all. I'll probably pull off this new DA-120 and replace it with a proven and already broke in 120 that's on my Aero Works 75cc extra. At least I know that it's going to be pushed hard with no worries. She actually balances perfectly at 110mm so the weight worked out......
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
let me know how the weight comes out... my 2.3 Edge came out at 24.5 lbs with a DA85. I wasn't too concerned about weight, since there was going to be so much on the nose.. heavy tailwheel, main wheels, canister, custom paint job, heavy batteries. I could probably shave a pound or so off of it. We'll see after the maiden tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by Brave
Joined Jan 2008
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyn3545 View Post
let me know how the weight comes out... my 2.3 Edge came out at 24.5 lbs with a DA85. I wasn't too concerned about weight, since there was going to be so much on the nose.. heavy tailwheel, main wheels, canister, custom paint job, heavy batteries. I could probably shave a pound or so off of it. We'll see after the maiden tomorrow.
Ok, here it is. I just maidened the lil rocket today an all I can say is holy!!!! This thing is like a jet on rails..... It's a lil fat on the needles so it's not really woke up yet but I'll keep it like this for a few gallons. Running a Xoar 26x10 because I was concerned about clearance. Waiting on Lonnie Prince at Prince Aircraft to crunch some numbers to get the best pitch on a 26" carbon prop. I ended up locating the A123 2400Mah batt in the engine dome so it would balance at 110mm from the tips and this thing really comes in slow and lands super smooth. I just weighed it and believe it or not, it comes in at 23.29lbs. and that's with a smoke system!!!!!!!! I hope to have video sometime in the next few weeks. Not sure of the speed yet but I'll know more once I get it broken in. I've got a ton of expo dialed in but it makes her fly like a trainer.... I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Brave; 11-19-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
You're not doing your engine any good running it rich like that. Tune it right now and save yourself headache later. It's not a glow engine.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB

Quick Reply