Old 06-25-2020, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by ktreadway
Yak Alcoholic
United States, WV, Marlinton
Joined Jan 2008
180 Posts
Discussion
Charging Jeti Pack

I'm using Jeti Lion packs and can I use the JR lead to my SmartFly and use the multiplex connection as my charge lead.
ktreadway is offline Find More Posts by ktreadway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-26-2020, 06:07 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktreadway View Post
I'm using Jeti Lion packs and can I use the JR lead to my SmartFly and use the multiplex connection as my charge lead.

Is your "SmartFly" simply their switch or a power expander ?

If you're using a power expander in your plane I would think you'd want the heavier leads used with the multiplex connecter going to the smart-fly instead of the JR lead which has very minimal current handling capacity.

Even if it's their switch I'd use the version that takes a Deans connector in with 2 JR out and connect it to the Multiplex side of the battery,
wfield0455 is online now Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 06-26-2020, 06:54 AM
Yak Alcoholic
Joined Jan 2008
180 Posts
It's a SmartFly Sport Plus if that makes a difference. It only has the JR battery connections
Old 06-26-2020, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by LucRc
Belgium, Flanders, Kapellen
Joined Aug 2016
7 Posts
I have the same question about these Jeti packs. I also used these via the JR plug and then to a new 5.9V sparkswitch from Powerbox. DA 60 started well, ran well in the middle area but ran badly on full throttle. It turned out to be no tuning problem because I changed to a 5 cell nimh pack and the problem was gone. Defective sparkswitch that was new anyway ? Or the Jeti pack that can't provide enough power for an ignition through the JR lead ? I guess there is still some electronics in the pack because of the overload protection. What do you guys think ? Are the 2 wires connected internally or is there really a difference between the power wire and the charge wire ? It is the Power Ion RB 2600 pack.
LucRc is offline Find More Posts by LucRc
Last edited by LucRc; 06-26-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by camss69
DDD
Joined Dec 2006
1,687 Posts
I don’t know if you guys know but according to James at Esprit, you need to charge these packs using a LiIon setting and not LiPo on your charger. I mention that because Fromeco and most other manufacturers that use LiIon use the LiPo (7.4v) setting and these use the old 7.2v LiIon setting. This may or may not be correct because I found conflicting voltage listings for these packs on various Jeti websites but when they came the label said 7.2.
camss69 is offline Find More Posts by camss69
Old 06-27-2020, 05:09 AM
Yak Alcoholic
Joined Jan 2008
180 Posts
The guy who had it before ran it this way. But I want to be sure it's safe. He then would just charge them through the charge jacks on the side of the plane which go to the SmartFly and the charging jack that is hooked through the reg to the ignition. It's a CARF Edge 2.3m and the batteries are mounted to the engine box up front so there not going to be accessible. If I use the power ends to the box then I'll have to do something different as far as the charge leads that won't be going through the box to the charge jacks.

Quick Reply