logo
Old 12-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by arb65912
United States, NJ, Lindenwold
Joined Nov 2023
365 Posts
Discussion
DLE engines original spark plug, good or bad?

Hello,
As the title says, is the original spark plug that comes with DLR engine good or should I get something different?
I am asking as I was watching the video and the guy said that the first thing you need to ditch the original spark plug and get something different, can not remember what was it.
Is it true?

I am sorry as this has been answered 100 times already.
arb65912 is offline Find More Posts by arb65912
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-13-2023, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
JR DA 215 Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,829 Posts
NGK CM-6 is the one to get via amazon along with your favorite 2 stroke oil
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Joined Nov 2023
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Vargas View Post

Thank you!!
Old 12-13-2023, 05:55 PM
Joined Nov 2023
365 Posts
Is that the ONE?
Do I use original washer or the one that comes with new plug?
We are threading into aluminum alloy so I do not know what should be the best.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
throw away the plug and anything attached to it. And shame on whoever sold you that engine without exchanging the plug. Yes, NGK CM 6 is what you want.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 12-13-2023, 07:32 PM
Joined Nov 2023
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
throw away the plug and anything attached to it. And shame on whoever sold you that engine without exchanging the plug. Yes, NGK CM 6 is what you want.

It was from Horizon Hobbies.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arb65912 View Post
Hello,
As the title says, is the original spark plug that comes with DLR engine good or should I get something different?
I am asking as I was watching the video and the guy said that the first thing you need to ditch the original spark plug and get something different, can not remember what was it.
Is it true?

I am sorry as this has been answered 100 times already.
Dang, you do come up with the questions. Here are a few answers to go along with the others.

Regarding the DLE supplied plug, the answer is it "depends". The plugs as originally supplied with DL / DLE and other Chinese engines back 10 years or so were just plain junk. They were so bad that many of them didn't even have a good seal between the ceramic insulator and the steel plug body. Some had the center electrode shorted to ground and who knows how many other problems. These plugs have been gone for years now and all should have been thrown away. Over the last several years, the plugs have improved but there are still not so great ones being supplied. The current standard plug has green DLE writing on it and it can work OK but frankly it doesn't always fit the cap well. The insulator can be a bit too long and the top electrode can have a sharp edge on it that prevents it from being inserted in the cap easily. If the electrode has a sharp edge it could damage in insulator in the plug cap. I'd toss this one also but it would work in a pinch if you were on a desert island and had no other choice. Another plug was provided with some engines and was also sold as an Iridium plug .... it has Red writing on it. These work darn well and if my engine came with one I wouldn't be afraid to use it though see below. I've seen these plugs actually run a little smoother in midrange in some engines.

But .... the industry standard is the NGK CM-6 / 5812 that was originally designed for and still used in Honda generators. If you have any question about the provided DLE plug, as others have suggested, just chuck it and get the NGK. Several other companies make similar plugs and they even call them interchangeable with the NGK but they are not. They will work in a Honda generator but they probably won't fit the plug caps provided for our RC engines. If you can't find the NGK plug by the common CM-6 number, have the vendor check the 5812 number. They are one and the same plug.

On DLE engines, I also highly recommend you toss the large spring that comes in the plug cap. It often interferes with the cap being pushed down far enough on the plug causing a loose / intermittent ground connection it was supposedly designed to prevent. When the cap is pushed on far enough, the whole hex part of the plug should be covered.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 12-13-2023, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by Eric_04
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Jan 2017
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Vargas View Post

Amazon is a significant source of imposter spark plugs, NGK in particular. I would choose a reputable automotive or powersports supplier to purchase them from.
Eric_04 is offline Find More Posts by Eric_04
Old 12-13-2023, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
I would recommend VV RC for DLE. Tom offers a 10% off to AMA members and engines are shipped with CM 6 plugs. He also stocks parts.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 12-14-2023, 04:38 AM
Find More Posts by Futterama
Denmark, Herning
Joined Jun 2008
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arb65912 View Post
Do I use original washer or the one that comes with new plug?
We are threading into aluminum alloy so I do not know what should be the best.
The washer is an integral part of the spark plug, it should not be able to come off. It is a special washer that compresses as you tighten the spark plug, you will feel this when you tighten it for the first time. Make sure to tighten the spark plug enough, the washer should be completely compressed.
Futterama is offline Find More Posts by Futterama
Old 12-14-2023, 07:41 AM
Joined Nov 2023
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Dang, you do come up with the questions. Here are a few answers to go along with the others.

Regarding the DLE supplied plug, the answer is it "depends". The plugs as originally supplied with DL / DLE and other Chinese engines back 10 years or so were just plain junk. They were so bad that many of them didn't even have a good seal between the ceramic insulator and the steel plug body. Some had the center electrode shorted to ground and who knows how many other problems. These plugs have been gone for years now and all should have been thrown away. Over the last several years, the plugs have improved but there are still not so great ones being supplied. The current standard plug has green DLE writing on it and it can work OK but frankly it doesn't always fit the cap well. The insulator can be a bit too long and the top electrode can have a sharp edge on it that prevents it from being inserted in the cap easily. If the electrode has a sharp edge it could damage in insulator in the plug cap. I'd toss this one also but it would work in a pinch if you were on a desert island and had no other choice. Another plug was provided with some engines and was also sold as an Iridium plug .... it has Red writing on it. These work darn well and if my engine came with one I wouldn't be afraid to use it though see below. I've seen these plugs actually run a little smoother in midrange in some engines.

But .... the industry standard is the NGK CM-6 / 5812 that was originally designed for and still used in Honda generators. If you have any question about the provided DLE plug, as others have suggested, just chuck it and get the NGK. Several other companies make similar plugs and they even call them interchangeable with the NGK but they are not. They will work in a Honda generator but they probably won't fit the plug caps provided for our RC engines. If you can't find the NGK plug by the common CM-6 number, have the vendor check the 5812 number. They are one and the same plug.

On DLE engines, I also highly recommend you toss the large spring that comes in the plug cap. It often interferes with the cap being pushed down far enough on the plug causing a loose / intermittent ground connection it was supposedly designed to prevent. When the cap is pushed on far enough, the whole hex part of the plug should be covered.
Are you mad at me for asking?
See, if I get to know what I need, I will not be asking anymore so please be patient with me.
Thank you for a great reply.

Yes, I ordered new NGK CM-6 5812 plugs from Amazon, I hope they are good, see the screenshot above.
I had a hard time pressing the cap over the spark plug but I was under impressions that it was just meant to be like that.

That large spring in the cap, you recommend to remove, is that a common practice?
Of course I trust you but wonder why would they put it there and even give you a spare one?
Old 12-14-2023, 07:44 AM
Joined Nov 2023
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_04 View Post
Amazon is a significant source of imposter spark plugs, NGK in particular. I would choose a reputable automotive or powersports supplier to purchase them from.
Take a look at the description, do you think it is a fake one?
I did not Amazon is so bad.
I stay away from sellers like Ali Express but thought Amazon was kind of secure to some extent.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:45 AM
Joined Nov 2023
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
I would recommend VV RC for DLE. Tom offers a 10% off to AMA members and engines are shipped with CM 6 plugs. He also stocks parts.

What is W RC? Sorry.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:47 AM
Joined Nov 2023
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futterama View Post
The washer is an integral part of the spark plug, it should not be able to come off. It is a special washer that compresses as you tighten the spark plug, you will feel this when you tighten it for the first time. Make sure to tighten the spark plug enough, the washer should be completely compressed.

Learned another thing.

Thank you very much, would never think of it.
I knew about tightening but not about washer not being removable.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:53 AM
Joined Nov 2023
365 Posts
Is that the reliable one? From NGK website

Quick Reply