logo
Old 06-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Dec 2014
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
Well I for one can not stand the silence of electric. Yes, it has come a long way in ability and many love it but to say it is the best or the only is just wrong. I prefer gas and left electric by the road side simply because of the silence, number of batteries needed, extreme charging abilities. I charge the batteries in numerous airframes the night before, load 2 gallons of fuel, radio case and go fly all weekend. No more taking 10-30 batteries or massive chargers to the field or having to replace all those batteries frequently.
If you love electric, enjoy it! I don't and enjoy it.

So go big, and , go gas!!!!
I would never say one is the best as this a very subjective parameter. Some people love the noise, the smell or the simple "scale" appeal of IC engines and this is totally cool. In the end, personal preference will always dictate the decision, after all, both power systems are available and work well for most planes.
What I often try to do is to clear some misconceptions I hear which prevents many people from trying electrics on anything above 60", by giving my personal experience.
Electrics are easy to operate, reliable and not costly in the long run (pack cost/ number of cycles). All my 60", 30cc and 50cc birds fly on 6S packs which makes parallel charging easy. The 60" and 30cc planes use the exact same packs (2 in series for the 30cc).
I have a 1000W 30A inexpensive charger in a small suitcase which allows me to balance charge 10 6S 5000mAh packs in around 40min. I can fly all day long if I want but usually leave the club before noon.
In all my electric planes the rx and servos are powered with a BEC connected directly to the flight packs so no additional batteries needed.
Although I do enjoy the simplicity, silence and ease of operation, my preference for electrics is mainly based on the performance. I usually can't take much more than 6 min of 3D/XA at a time so flight times are not an issue. Parallel charging and replacing packs is just too easy and quick.

Your birds are huge and beautiful, I would never consider an electric power system for any of them at this size due to current energy density of lipos, as I already mentioned.
Ronaldo
ronaldopn is offline Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply