logo
Old 05-20-2018, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by SuperCub WQA
Joined Oct 2013
15 Posts
Discussion
91” EF Extra 300

Hi all,

Have a new 91” EF Extra 300 and I am wanting to hear how you have set up your throws and C of G. I am wanting to use this for IMAC, so no 3D throws. Currently the C of G is slightly aft and the throws as per the manual but looks a little much for IMAC.
Any feedback, recommendations appreciated!
SuperCub WQA is offline Find More Posts by SuperCub WQA
Last edited by SuperCub WQA; 05-20-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,342 Posts
This model builds tail heavy. If you want neutral or forward cg...you will need to move bats or whatever you can forward.
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 05-20-2018, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
3,999 Posts
What engine? I have a friend with one that started with a DLE 61 and then went to an EVO 62. Batteries are by the wing tube and plane flies fine. Can't really talk about CG without knowing the effect of the weight of the engine.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 05-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
Scituate, MA
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
I have a DA70 in mine, and even with the batteries way forward it's still tail heavy. I need to add some weight.
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
3,999 Posts
curious how you are determining it is tail heavy. Unless you have some weight in the rear I suspect it is fine. you might want to talk to the guys at EF before chasing a non existent CG issue.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 05-21-2018, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,342 Posts
I like how you assume no one but you knows how to check the cg...
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 05-22-2018, 02:29 AM
Find More Posts by Guille2017
www.alelilaser.com
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Castelnuovo Rangone
Joined Jan 2017
65 Posts
What ever the plane is, setting up for IMAC is an about 20 flights job.
You already chose a good plane so start setting it up as vendors reccomendation: It's always a good start point.
Use servo throw as follows: Since you're not doing 3D, set up maximum servo throw to the maximum surface throw reccomended from manufacturer. Example: PAU says for its Sukhoi that 25 degrees for ailerons with 0 to 20% expo are good for IMAC; so measure that throw with maximum servo throw you can get. You will have then a "aileron long arm - servo short arm" configuration. Set a reasonable expo too... PAU reccomends 20%; But I'm currently at 38%.
Once you take off, take your time to get some confidence with the plane before start moving things. Don't change anything unless it's mandatory. You NEED to be sure of what you're reading on the plane while flying (10 to 15 flights are a reasonable number...). Once you're there, you can start all the trimming process. There are several recipes... the one I use is the "Triangulation method" which is a F3A recipe developed by Bryan Hebert (i think), yet there are several others simpler. Attached here there is one very popular here in Italy; good enough, very graphic and easy to understand even if it's in italian (use google translate!!).

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/01378...4185345553.pdf

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/01378...a20c20f147.pdf

Hope it helps....
Cheers
Guille2017 is offline Find More Posts by Guille2017
Old 05-22-2018, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
tap....tap.tap... is this on?
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
curious how you are determining it is tail heavy. <snip>.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy082662 View Post
I like how you assume no one but you knows how to check the cg...
Pretty sure he started his response with a question asking just that..................
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old 05-22-2018, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
Scituate, MA
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
I’m determining tail heavy by hanging from the wing tube to start. After that, I’m rolling inverted on a 45 upline. My plane climbs instead of gently falling. I’m using pull-pull for rudder so no extra servo in the tail.

I’ve been slowly going through the triangulation trimming method to get ready for my first IMAC with this bird. I spent the first 10 or so flights just getting used to it. Now I’m trying to get through the process. It’s slow though when there isn’t anyone available to write the results for me. I end up forgetting by the time I land.

Poke around the 91 Extra forum here on FG, and lots of people end up tail heavy. Some were adding nearly a pound of weight in the nose.
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old 05-22-2018, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Avoiding Fake News
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2007
1,748 Posts
The 91" Extra is well known to be tail heavy - hence some in my area put 85cc engines on them.
5150flyer is offline Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Old 10-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by SuperCub WQA
Joined Oct 2013
15 Posts
Update, long overdue but this is what I had to do.

I ended up pulling the engine forward 1/4” (DLE 61), putting a aluminum spinner on vs carbon fibre, heavier batteries (2x LiFe 2500 A123) and added some lead weight, I can’t remember but I think 3.45oz.

Again this is for IMAC, other types of flying may differ.
SuperCub WQA is offline Find More Posts by SuperCub WQA
Old 10-10-2018, 05:09 AM
Find More Posts by Timh
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2016
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guille2017 View Post
What ever the plane is, setting up for IMAC is an about 20 flights job.
You already chose a good plane so start setting it up as vendors reccomendation: It's always a good start point.
Use servo throw as follows: Since you're not doing 3D, set up maximum servo throw to the maximum surface throw reccomended from manufacturer. Example: PAU says for its Sukhoi that 25 degrees for ailerons with 0 to 20% expo are good for IMAC; so measure that throw with maximum servo throw you can get. You will have then a "aileron long arm - servo short arm" configuration. Set a reasonable expo too... PAU reccomends 20%; But I'm currently at 38%.
Once you take off, take your time to get some confidence with the plane before start moving things. Don't change anything unless it's mandatory. You NEED to be sure of what you're reading on the plane while flying (10 to 15 flights are a reasonable number...). Once you're there, you can start all the trimming process. There are several recipes... the one I use is the "Triangulation method" which is a F3A recipe developed by Bryan Hebert (i think), yet there are several others simpler. Attached here there is one very popular here in Italy; good enough, very graphic and easy to understand even if it's in italian (use google translate!!).

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/01378...4185345553.pdf

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/01378...a20c20f147.pdf

Hope it helps....
Cheers
Any chance there is an English version of these documents?
Timh is online now Find More Posts by Timh

Quick Reply