logo
View Poll Results: Current IMAC Leadership is?
Leading 13 24.07%
Following 10 18.52%
In the way 31 57.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by Dozer Blade
Yeah~ try the other left
Joined Apr 2008
153 Posts
Discussion
IMAC- Leading, Following or In the way?

A phrase often used around the late NASCAR driver Dale Earndhart. Fan's either hated or cheered him on. Either way - competitors and fans knew where he stood. A rare kind of quality these days.

Looking toward the future of IMAC, I am curious to know how the modeling community views the current leadership of IMAC. What kind of job are they doing? Is IMAC leading, following or in the way? Will the past continue to repeat itself? Do they want to really serve or is it more just "filling in because no one else will do it?"

Having served on the BOD I can honestly say I'm unfortunately not impressed. I would like to be able to say that we (IMAC) are leading the way but that would be far from the truth. If that offends some of those currently on the BOD, marketing committee or membership so be it. I think most of you know where I stand. I'm not personally attacking anyone individually. It's a hard lesson in life but I've learned to "hate the sin- not the person".

Poor leadership has resulted in:
-Marketing committee that is in gridlock with little production in almost two years
-A sequence committee where few do all the work of all
-Membership decline continues
-Spending over $15K to fund a new IMAC site without so much as going to a vote to the membership or BOD. All this while increasing due's and burying the website cost over two term's.
-A budget that continue's to pay out over 13% ($3000) annually just to maintain the website.
- A budget that pays out 31% to hold the NATS while the region's that funded it only get 20%.
Dozer Blade is offline Find More Posts by Dozer Blade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-23-2018, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,465 Posts
Great post Ron!
It’s hard to say what is in the future for IMAC, if they continue down the status quo path they are currently on it will certainly die a slow fiery death.... As a member of the Marketing and Membership Committee we have no power to do anything without the BOD approval. My overall feeling regarding IMAC is that they are too afraid of upsetting the apple cart to make any significant change that would potentially help the decline, others just refuse to recognize that there is a problem to begin with.
eheliflyer is online now Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 07-23-2018, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
following with interest.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 07-23-2018, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by Slats!
Joined Dec 2008
1,254 Posts
485 members wow. Is there a multiplier to that lol.

I would say the apple cart has no wheels already with that total.
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Last edited by Slats!; 07-23-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by Free Bird
Joined Aug 2010
420 Posts
Here’s my take. I joined IMAC a few years ago and started in basic. While there was a lot of help, those that flew basic were treated as second class citizens. So the next year I move up to Sportsman, treatment wasn’t much better. Very disappointed. Contests weren’t that well run and if lucky, maybe got in 2 flights a day. If there was any conflict with classes, basic always got pooped on to make time for upper classes to fly. That was a lot of money spent for a few flights over the course of a weekend. Now add in that in the northeast contests have all but disappeared, so it’s not worth belonging to IMAC any more. Thing is, I just love scale aerobatics and the discipline needed to be competitive. So sad that IMAC is in a tailspin.

R
Free Bird is offline Find More Posts by Free Bird
Old 07-23-2018, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Bird View Post
Here’s my take. I joined IMAC a few years ago and started in basic. While there was a lot of help, those that flew basic were treated as second class citizens. So the next year I move up to Sportsman, treatment wasn’t much better. Very disappointed. Contests weren’t that well run and if lucky, maybe got in 2 flights a day. If there was any conflict with classes, basic always got pooped on to make time for upper classes to fly. That was a lot of money spent for a few flights over the course of a weekend. Now add in that in the northeast contests have all but disappeared, so it’s not worth belonging to IMAC any more. Thing is, I just love scale aerobatics and the discipline needed to be competitive. So sad that IMAC is in a tailspin.

R

Sad to hear about the treatment you noticed of the lower class pilots. I'm afraid that can be a regional thing. We work harder at recruiting and making sure Basic pilots have a good time than anything else at our club.

I just returned yesterday from a 500 mile round trip contest in the North West that was ran incredibly well. We had 19 pilots, which for recent years in the NW was a good turnout. Definitely the largest turnout I've seen at this location for the past several years. So that was encouraging! With 19 pilots we were able to run one flight line. Any more pilots, and we would have probably seen 2 flight lines. The Basic pilots were definitely in favor of one flight line, and I think most all pilots preferred that as well. We got in 2 rounds per day, with a very organized flight line. But even with that, it was a long day. I don't think anyone there would have wanted to fly more than 2 rounds each day. I get to fly all day long, as much as I want at home while practicing. But I've never been to an event with more than two rounds each day. Not saying it doesn't happen though. I took the week off vacation, left mid week to travel, and spent a few nights in a Hotel to hang at their field and fly. So I guess I'm saying a spent a lot of money (for me) and didn't expect to fly more than twice a day on contest days.

Great post by the OP. Hopefully IMAC will find it's way and return to what it once was in membership.

That said, I don't have any gripes at all in regards to my current experiences. I see regional judging schools offered annually, a NW director who is working hard at maintaining current events, and working with other clubs and regions trying to grow the NW events to help with travel. I can't speak for the politics of the board and committee's, only what I see.

Scott
sthudson is offline Find More Posts by sthudson
Old 07-23-2018, 04:32 PM
Yeah~ try the other left
Joined Apr 2008
153 Posts
Just to clarify there are currently 626 members. 488 US, 138 Canadian/International. I put the chart together at the beginning of every year and try to mathematically predict what the number will be next Jan. So to date IMAC has lost 13 members from 639 to 626 . 485 was the mathematical prediction based on the historical curve you see as the last entry at bottom of chart. Will it be 485 come Jan 1? I hope not.

From an income point of view ...
US members 488x$40= $19,520
Canadian 47x$40=$1880
Int 91x$30=$2730
total= $24,130 total dues.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by brokenprops
United States, OH, New Carlisle
Joined Jan 2014
542 Posts
Following. As I use to fly IMAC series but it seems to have faded
brokenprops is offline Find More Posts by brokenprops
Old 07-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
3,997 Posts
Ain't none of this new...for the last 15 plus years there has been a continual parade of ex iMac BOD members or committee leaders who left because the elephant of iMac refused to move.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 07-23-2018, 08:06 PM
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,465 Posts
One thing we can agree on FG! Lol
Old 07-23-2018, 09:10 PM
Yeah~ try the other left
Joined Apr 2008
153 Posts
At least the webmaster had fun spending over $15K on the website.

Oh, almost forgot ... annual maintenance is $3k!

Maybe a little more than an elephant?
Last edited by Dozer Blade; 07-23-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:39 PM
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,465 Posts
A wooly mammoth maybe?? Lol
Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,468 Posts
Wish I had more time to do more for the sport.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 07-23-2018, 11:27 PM
Yeah~ try the other left
Joined Apr 2008
153 Posts
Quote:
A wooly mammoth maybe?? Lol
Lol!
Fox guarding the hen house?
I think his name was Roy and he used a wheel "barrow".
Old 07-24-2018, 08:50 AM
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,465 Posts
Lol

Quick Reply