logo
View Poll Results: Current IMAC Leadership is?
Leading 13 24.07%
Following 10 18.52%
In the way 31 57.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2018, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,463 Posts
Size limitations is a drastic move, but what about a percentage bonus for the use of 35% and smaller. Some of the discussion behind all of this is the amount of people you see flying 3D at all of these fun fly events. How do we attract these people to IMAC, what is keeping them away?
eheliflyer is online now Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-26-2018, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by Larry Raydo
United States, TN, Jasper
Joined Apr 2013
22 Posts
Dozer,
Doesn't matter or concern me anymore since I am no longer a member. The real question is what are you, if you are a member, going to do as a volunteer? Are you going to run for office? I am not talking local volunteering...I am asking as an International volunteer? Putting out questions to denigrate present and past BOD's without stepping up has little value to me, I would rather hear about what you will do to correct what you see as the problem. I did not leave because of the BOD or how IMAC is run, I left because I didn't feel we flew enough to justify the time and investment. I still may compete in some contests, I will just pay the higher entry fee. I only entered this conversation to say why I have left. And by the way thanks for your previous service to IMAC, but what about now?
Larry Raydo is offline Find More Posts by Larry Raydo
Old 07-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by Dozer Blade
Yeah~ try the other left
Joined Apr 2008
153 Posts
Oh, speaking of changes...
A friend of mine and I were just discussing the cost issue recently. He shared a spreadsheet he kept from last year that had all of his expenses -hotel, gas, wear and tear on the vehicle, meals etc. I think the average "IMAC weekend" costs ran in the 6-$700 range. So if we multiply that times 5 contests we get $3000 + per year. Oh yeah.. that doesn't include any NATS expenses

Why not lower the Regional Point Series (RPS) to 3000 points instead of 5000 points. Basically three contests, and if you win all three- then battle it off at the regional just like we do now?
Pro's
- Quality over quantity
- Lower expenses for all competitors across the board (especially you regions that are spread out)
- Increased participation at regional
- It's not about being a "Road Warrior"
- Practice more = do better

Cons???
Dozer Blade is offline Find More Posts by Dozer Blade
Old 07-26-2018, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,468 Posts
Few ideas I sort of thought about in my past...

I do like the idea lowering it to 3000. I also have suggested in the past to divide up the regions into sub regions. And the Regionals at the end of the year is the battle between the two sub regions of your region.

Sound
Do away with the actual score and just put a check box for sound. If he is quiet enough he gets a Check. Too loud (usually the score would be a (0-3) then he gets a X. Any X given the pilot is warned by the CD.

Size Limitations
I dont care for this one as I already have a nice Dalton that I love flying in IMAC. Plus you would hurt those businesses that sell that size of aircraft that are especially made to compete in IMAC.
Instead....
Create another class that limits the aircraft to a certain size electric aircraft. Lets say less than 80" for example. They only fly one sequence since it is electric and they fly a sequence that is between Basic and Sportsman. They have unknowns. Cheap introduction to IMAC
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 07-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,198 Posts
IMAC

Good comments Larry.
It's easy to criticize and hypothesize. Much harder and much more meaningful to do something.
Next election is coming up. Let's see who's stepping up.
Flybye Steve is online now Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 07-26-2018, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
3,994 Posts
I stated a few posts back that none of this is new. Not the turnover at the BOD level, not the endless list of suggestions from people who really don't get the big picture, not the number of ex-competitors (and I am one of them) who have seen the dysfunction up close, and certainly not the lack of transparency that has defined IMAC for well over two decades. There is no magic pill, no rules change that is suddenly going to attract or retain pilots. Whatever success IMAC may or may not have is at a local, not a national level. With the exception of DA, IMAC has no presence among the mfrs. That in itself is a death sentence. Contrast that to twenty years ago when product and promotion were both plentiful. Some people take the competition aspect of it seriously, most don't. I could go on...it's pointless.

But if you like scale aerobatics, but are truly not happy with the direction or substance of IMAC, then do your own thing. there's nothing stopping you. You can have size and displacement limits, introduce new classes, eliminate spins from basic....who knows, it might be successful.....
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 07-26-2018, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,289 Posts
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
Thank you... I thought at one time right around then it was over 1000 worldwide... but thank you
Sorry Curtis....I have been corrected on the number by an actual record. The number of members in December 2014 was 901. That is 40 more than I had mentioned previously.
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Old 07-26-2018, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
Unfortunately I think a lot of this boils down to the sport is seeing a loss of participation and there are a lot of people who are frustrated with lack of turnout at events.

When people get frustrated they look for a reason, with the perceived lack of transparency (I am not active enough at the national level to even know what that is) the problems compound.

I do believe there are a lot of strong personalities in IMAC and that can always become frustrating. We all have thrown out ideas that we think will help, or more realistically will make us happier in the sport. Limiting size might make some people happy, but will upset a lot as well.

I think the issues are beyond the control of the IMAC BoD and rest in the local guys. The BoD can not drive up membership at the local level. They can advertise and such but that push has to come from the local pilots.

If you want to help Imac then work at the grassroots level and encourage more people to fly IMAC at your local contests. I have been trying and its difficult. I dont have the time I wish to devote to the sport. This year I wont be flying any events due to helping try and get people and also helping to run the events.

Even if the BoD was a bunch of corrupt criminals they are doing nothing to impede my ability to drive up membership. Most of the pilots I talk to dont even realize there is a National organization. One guy complemented me for doing all of the unknowns and known sequences. I had to kindly inform him that we have a team of volunteers from across the world who do that.

And to the point about BoD not doing anything, step up and run against them. While these threads can start out useful or have some nice productive discussions they usually end up spiraling into a bitch session.

So to answer the poll question. The BoD is insignificant in the issues I am seeing and the individuals who wish to see IMAC succeed need to drive up participation.
Keith Cannon is offline Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Old 07-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,468 Posts
Since this thread is getting a lot more views and comments... lets not forget about the TAS 2018 or the upcoming IMAC Worlds. Its not too late to register for TAS 2018. Also the prelim freestyle / invitational pilots list was just announced.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=232165
Old 07-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,141 Posts
Here's why I left.....

1. I could care less what the BOD does or doesn't do. There are rules I don't like and I have suggestions to change them, but that doesn't stop me from attending.
2. TAS went from every year to nothing, then every other year. (I lived in the SW, so this was a nice event to watch or be in.....but expensive if you lived on the east coast). Awesome to see the pilots from other countries attend
3. NATS was always in Indiana, so if you don't live near it, its crazy expensive and time consuming (vacation days!) to get to and they didn't have an Invitational type class like the TAS. So at best I was going to see average/good pilots from the Midwest and hardly any from Overseas....So to me it just wasn't representative of "Nats" and did not have the WoW factor with no foreign pilots
4. It got to be too damn time consuming to practice. This is probably the biggest thing. Based on work I can only fly weekends typically. Contests almost every week and if there wasn't a contest I had to practice. I just couldn't put in the time.

I enjoyed the time doing it though. Made me a better flyer. I met a lot of great folks (and some jerks).
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 07-26-2018, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by Dozer Blade
Yeah~ try the other left
Joined Apr 2008
153 Posts
Good points above.

When I started the thread I chose that leadership is in "following" category. I'm actually kind of surprised that we have so many voting "in the way". Having served (by the way thanks for the earlier compliment Larry) I was really on the bubble going so far as to choose "in the way".

A number of people asked me to stay on the BOD at the end of my term. There were some that asked me to go to VP but I turned it all down. The environment was too toxic then for any amount of positive change at the BOD level.

What about now?
This is meant to be positive. I try to keep life simple. There are three kinds of ideas out there. Some that will work, some I really don't know, others that either have not/or will ever work. IMAC members are very passionate and are suffering from "paralysis of analysis". There's an organizational problem that needs corrected from the top down first. Whether or not the current leadership stays or goes it's obvious that the people voting here feel that the BOD as a whole are not leading. I know they are undoubtedly busy with the Worlds but election time is right around the corner.

step 1 - Restore transparency
The BOD communicates a number of ways. There are the minutes recorded and posted on the website for everyone to see. There are secure threads on the website reserved exclusively for the BOD and whomever the webmaster gives access too and then there are private emails shared among the BOD. There are probably others but that's what I recall at the moment. The only thing that members see are the minutes. We could do much better than that. Post the audio from the BOD meeting's that are already being recorded. What is their track record and how/why did each one vote? Did they even vote or was it endless fruitless discussion? Begin a thread or list on the IMAC website that lists precisely the views of those members and give them a chance to state their position - Not a bich session

step 2 - Reach out and vote accordingly. Get to know your RD and BOD. Give them a call or email. Where do they stand on issues you feel are important. How can they lead if they don't know how you feel? You always get more fly's with honey than vinegar

Step 3 - Organize Actionable Data
STOP arm chairing and casting silver bullets! It's not about who has the biggest lungs. Use that energy instead and put it on a chart , take a survey etc. and back it up with real data! Do a preliminary beta test and observe, take notes to see what happens. Task the marketing committee to do there job and if they don't produce - kick them off, find a replacement. BOD needs to be very clear about producing/organizing actionable data that they (BOD) can vote on. They owe it to us to work and get to a point that they can confidently say whether you like it or not "Based on the absolute BEST information the BOD and marketing committee has gathered and organized we have voted to do X". Maybe it will work, maybe not, but we can always change it later if need be.

Step 4- Roberts Rule's.
Make a good decision based on all available information and move forward. Stop the political posturing. USE ROBERTS RULES

Step 5 - Fiscal responsibility.
We need to fix this. The membership is falling. It will take time to rebuild. Will we become insolvent before that happens?? BTW - look at what happened to IMAA? They had the same webmaster who happens to be the highest paid in all of IMAC. There needs to be some kind of set of limits put into place on how money is being spent. For instance - BOD cannot spent X dollars without a membership vote. The by-laws need tweaked and the budget reformed.

Step - 6 Efficiency
Where are we spending our precious resources? This usually comes down to time or money. When I would reflect back on a BOD meeting sometimes I would get this feeling like "Did we really accomplish anything?". "We spent alot of time talking about x." We're largely all volunteers so start from the top down and learn to focus the discussion and get it done.
Dozer Blade is offline Find More Posts by Dozer Blade
Last edited by Dozer Blade; 07-27-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-26-2018, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
846 Posts
I maintain that it may more likely be that the BOD is leading, following, sometimes in the way and
sometimes doing a good job. I just don't know that I could say they only do one thing.
I disagree with some things they have done, but there is good in what they do as well.

Best to temper our complaints about the BOD. Its a thankless profitless and often lonely job.
Its so easy for us to tear them apart...( I have )….but I couldn't do as they are doing, I'm too
busy flying and living life.
super rookie is online now Find More Posts by super rookie
Last edited by super rookie; 07-26-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by c.h.lewis
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer Blade View Post
Good points above.

When I started the thread I chose that leadership is in "following" category. I'm actually kind of surprised that we have so many voting "in the way". Having served (by the way thanks for the earlier compliment Larry) I was really on the bubble going so far as to choose "in the way".

A number of people asked me to stay on the BOD at the end of my term. There were some that asked me to go to VP but I turned it all down. The environment was too toxic then for any amount of positive change at the BOD level.

What about now?
This is meant to be positive. I try to keep life simple. There are three kinds of ideas out there. Some that will work, some I really don't know, others that either have not/or will ever work. IMAC members are very passionate and are suffering from "paralysis of analysis". There's an organizational problem that needs corrected from the top down first. Whether or not the current leadership stays or goes it's obvious that the people voting here feel that the BOD as a whole are not leading. I know they are undoubtedly busy with the Worlds but election time is right around the corner.

step 1 - Restore transparency
The BOD communicates a number of ways. There are the minutes recorded and posted on the website for everyone to see. There are secure threads on the website reserved exclusively for the BOD and whomever the webmaster gives access to and then there are private emails shared among the BOD. There are probably others but that's what I recall at the moment. The only thing that members see are the minutes. We could do much better than that. Post the audio from the BOD meeting's that are already being recorded. What is there track record and how/why did each one vote? Did they even vote or was it endless fruitless discussion? Begin a thread or list on the IMAC website that lists precisely the views of those members and give them a chance to state their position - Not a bich session

step 2 - Reach out and vote accordingly. Get to know your RD and BOD. Give them a call or email. Where do they stand on issues you feel are important. How can they lead if they don't know how you feel? You always get more fly's with honey than vinegar

Step 3 - Organize Actionable Data
STOP arm chairing and casting silver bullets! It's not about who has the biggest lungs. Use that energy instead and put it on a chart , take a survey etc. and back it up with real data! Do a preliminary beta test and observe, take notes to see what happens. Task the marketing committee to do there job and if they don't produce - kick them off, find a replacement. BOD needs to be very clear about producing/organizing actionable data that they (BOD) can vote on. They owe it to us to work and get to a point that they can confidently say whether you like it or not "Based on the absolute BEST information the BOD and marketing committee has gathered and organized we have voted to do X". Maybe it will work, maybe not, but we can always change it later if need be.

Step 4- Roberts Rule's.
Make a good decision based on all available information and move forward. Stop the political posturing. USE ROBERTS RULES

Step 5 - Fiscal responsibility.
We need to fix this. The membership is falling. It will take time to rebuild. Will we become insolvent before that happens?? BTW - look at what happened to IMAA? They had the same webmaster who happens to be the highest paid in all of IMAC. There needs to be some kind of set of limits put into place on how money is being spent. For instance - BOD cannot spent X dollars without a membership vote. The by-laws need tweaked and the budget reformed.

Step - 6 Efficiency
Where are we spending our precious resources? This usually comes down to time or money. When I would reflect back on a BOD meeting sometimes I would get this feeling like "Did we really accomplish anything?". "We spent alot of time talking about x." We're largely all volunteers so start from the top down and learn to focus the discussion and get it done.
DOZER!

I AGREE WITH MANY OF THE STEPS YOU HAVE POSTED! The “in the shadows, behind closed doors,secretive meetings and decision making” is and have hurt IMAC
OH!
And not one word this discussion will be taken up by the BOD. The BOD has no vision and no mission.
c.h.lewis is online now Find More Posts by c.h.lewis
Last edited by c.h.lewis; 07-26-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:27 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,468 Posts
Old 07-26-2018, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009