logo
Old 09-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,338 Posts
Some of us arnt made of money and expensive is a realitive term. Repurposeing stuff is part of this hobby and basically life in general. If I could just deactivate the one coil I'd have a perfectly good ign. I already ordered a new ign and the point of the posting here asking you guys input is because as dumb as I might be I am smart enough to ask questions before and not after....lol
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-09-2019, 03:17 PM
wrongwayfeldman
Joined Mar 2010
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinsp View Post
can you pull the ignition apart and rid it of the second coil?
Man I wish I knew exactly what and where...I'd start hacking away...but not knowing what is what makes it tough

I wish they'd make all the main spark leads removable and replaceable
...can't count how many over the years I've seen thrown in the club trash because of frayed braid or damaged spark plug end...Ive replaced several plug ends
Old 09-09-2019, 03:23 PM
wrongwayfeldman
Joined Mar 2010
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch View Post
...and not learn something. Our hobby got where it is by people not afraid to tinker. Those blindly spending money moved on to support golf.
Exactly...thanx man...
Old 09-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,128 Posts
the cost of an rcexcel ignition is far less than having an engine quit while in hover or harrier, think about that before you dumpster dive
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 09-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy082662 View Post
Man I wish I knew exactly what and where...I'd start hacking away...but not knowing what is what makes it tough

I wish they'd make all the main spark leads removable and replaceable
...can't count how many over the years I've seen thrown in the club trash because of frayed braid or damaged spark plug end...Ive replaced several plug ends
I understand your need for knowledge. Youíve never said what brand of ignition you have. Some are repairable, many are not. Let me answer a few unasked questions. If RCexl, once inside youíll find the whole thing potted with resin. Almost impossible to fix the internals on these. They do (or once did) offer a plug lead replacement kit. RCXP / RCAME are repairable to a point but they donít offer a twin ignition. Once inside though, all connections are visible. The original CH ignition is 100% repairable being mostly discrete components with all connections visible. DA ignitions are partly repairable with the factory offering some limited service on them. Iíve never had a DA ign apart so canít answer any questions about them. Hope this helps some.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 09-09-2019, 03:51 PM
wrongwayfeldman
Joined Mar 2010
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
I understand your need for knowledge. Youíve never said what brand of ignition you have. Some are repairable, many are not. Let me answer a few unasked questions. If RCexl, once inside youíll find the whole thing potted with resin. Almost impossible to fix the internals on these. They do (or once did) offer a plug lead replacement kit. RCXP / RCAME are repairable to a point but they donít offer a twin ignition. Once inside though, all connections are visible. The original CH ignition is 100% repairable being mostly discrete components with all connections visible. DA ignitions are partly repairable with the factory offering some limited service on them. Iíve never had a DA ign apart so canít answer any questions about them. Hope this helps some.
You're exactly right...it's a EME, it and the other igns I have are all white epoxy covered...only tiny bits showing
Old 09-09-2019, 03:54 PM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy082662 View Post
You're exactly right...it's a EME, it and the other igns I have are all white epoxy covered...only tiny bits showing
EME uses RCexl ignitions.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,720 Posts
Sitting here in the woods and cold, thought I’d add a bit more info. If an ignition’s circuitry ( DC - DC converter, SCR, capacitor, etc) is optimized to work with two coils, it probably won’t be happy long term even if you find the connections and disconnect them. You might want to contact Adrian at CH. He works closely with RCexl and I’m sure he could answer all your questions.

Sadly RC electronics has become more throw away oriented just like all other types of electronics. No conspiracy, modern circuitry is highly integrated with mostly surface mount components. This just doesn’t lend itself to repair unless the device is extremely expensive and can support having a repair facility. The do it yourselfers are mostly out of luck.

Quick Reply