logo
This thread is privately moderated by TheTank, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson32 View Post
Also, how many flights do you generally get at a two day event?
You generally get 4 "flights" in. 2 flights each with 2 sequences on day 1 and 2 flights, 1 with 1 sequence and 1 with 2 sequences.

When I left my first IMAC event I thought "what a waste, I spent 2 days (15hrs) to be in the air for under 30 minutes.... by the time I got home, I could not wait for the next one It's not the flying as much as it is the competition, people and atmosphere. You'll love it.
mtndewdewd is offline Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by jwilson32
Doo It! Doo It!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2010
200 Posts
Thanks mtndewdewd!

Another question. I sold my PRC Edge, and thinking about going with either the Yak or Extra in the 35% size. I haven’t decided on the brand, but it's between two, which both make excellent airframes but don't want the brand name to be a deciding factor.
What would make a better IMAC plane between the two? I have a 104" Slick that I have been practicing with, and really like it, but want a second plane and of course, if it fly's better, I will use that plane.
I know it's kind of a broad question so feel free to ask what you need from me to answer.
jwilson32 is offline Find More Posts by jwilson32
Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by racelikustolit3k
how low can you go
United States, OK, Inola
Joined Aug 2008
601 Posts
try to catch a flight on a 2.6m comp arf yak.. they are the best 35% imac machine on the market.. they track so true its like cheating..
racelikustolit3k is offline Find More Posts by racelikustolit3k
Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Doo It! Doo It!
Joined Jun 2010
200 Posts
I'll have to check the Comp ARF stuff out...

I ran across the TT TOC 37.5% Yak a while back and kind of forgot about it. Chief is offering them at $875 with CF landing gear plus an additional 5% off through today. I did a little research and looks like most guys like them. Only bummer is parts seem to be obsolete, unless you’re lucky enough to find some in the classifieds. But for the price, it would be nice to have a 37.5% plane. Looks to be a little more assembly than say a Pilot plane, but that doesn’t bother me. Does anyone have experience with this model or seen it in person?
Has anyone transported a plane this size in a vehicle? I have a Dodge Grand Caravan, 2011 if that matters. It’s not my favorite vehicle, but it’s a great plane transporter! I really don’t want to get a trailer….
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM
how low can you go
United States, OK, Inola
Joined Aug 2008
601 Posts
haha to funny.. I have an 05 caravan for my planes and 2012 ram express for the trailer.. I did buy one of the toc 37.5% yaks in march and it fits but barely.. I had to make ramps to get the nose between the seats..

they were a big hit back in the day and lots of people have them.. they are a great flying big plane.. dont know about imac though.. they build pretty light and mine gets josseled around by the wind alot.. its mainly for 3d though
Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Doo It! Doo It!
Joined Jun 2010
200 Posts
I hear ya. I'm torn right now. The minute I decide on something, another thought pops in my head.... I put an excel spreadsheet together and a PRC 37.5% yak is about $400 more, but it has all CF tubes and parts are available. Then the 104" EF Extra and 110" Yak look appealing as well!
I'll probably keep practicing with the Slick and take my time. Maybe a smoking deal on a nice used one will pop up... But that never happens to me! haha... There are a lot of nice choices right now. Like most people say, pick the model and color you like and go for it!

racelikustolit3k, what type of plane do you like for IMAC?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM
how low can you go
United States, OK, Inola
Joined Aug 2008
601 Posts
Quote:

racelikustolit3k, what type of plane do you like for IMAC?
that plane right here

<<

<<

was my go to plane for unlimited imac.. it was a wildhare 41% extra.. a skippykix here on FG has it now.. and I believe it is still going strong..

but my practice plane was and still is the comp arf yak 55 2.6m.. the plane does everything so well..

it literaly is like cheating.. very very little rudder correction is needed for anything, except solid 4 point or 8 point rolls..

I have a buddy that I have built a few planes for and he mentioned selling his 2.6m yak.. it has a DA 100 on cans but if you want unlimited power you would need either greeves or ES pipes
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Find More Posts by Mike Anderson
ago involo ergo sum
Ottawa Ontario Canada
Joined Jun 2007
212 Posts
Another resource is Scale Aerobatics Canada: http://www.scaleaerobaticscanada.com/
Mike Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mike Anderson
Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndewdewd View Post
You generally get 4 "flights" in. 2 flights each with 2 sequences on day 1 and 2 flights, 1 with 1 sequence and 1 with 2 sequences.

When I left my first IMAC event I thought "what a waste, I spent 2 days (15hrs) to be in the air for under 30 minutes.... by the time I got home, I could not wait for the next one It's not the flying as much as it is the competition, people and atmosphere. You'll love it.
I gues it depends on the size of the contest. My experience in the SC district is at least 3 rounds if not 4 on Saturday, then the one sequence unknown on Sunday.

Like you said though, I am always pumped for the next contest.
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I gues it depends on the size of the contest. My experience in the SC district is at least 3 rounds if not 4 on Saturday, then the one sequence unknown on Sunday.

Like you said though, I am always pumped for the next contest.
Most contests have limited numbers of pilots that are capable of judging plus the numbers in each class prohibit a second flight line. Optimally, contestants should be judged by a different set of judges in each round. Hence, most of the time we are doing well to get in three MAYBE four rounds on Saturday and one round of unknowns with the basic pilots flying their two sequences on Sunday. Generally, the time by then is approaching 1330 hrs what with final calculation of the scores and subsequent presentation of the awards it's almost 1400-1430 on Sunday. By then EVERYONE is hot, tired and ready to get home! So, attemping to fly another complete round for the rest of the classess after the unknown would put the end somewhere around 1600-1700!

And that is why we generally have only three rounds Saturday!
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,398 Posts
There really is no reason to fly more than 6 knowns. That is the point where 2 sequences get dropped. You would have to go to 9 sequences to get to 3 drops. That is fairly difficult for most contests. 6 Knowns, drop 2 plus the Unknown is plenty to determine a winner, which is the objective of a contest. The point of a contest is not to see how much flying you can do, but as I said, choose a winner. IAC only flies 3 sequences. A known, and Unknown and the Freestyle (pilot designed sequence).
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Doo It! Doo It!
Joined Jun 2010
200 Posts
Quote:
Quote:

No problem at all. I raced 1/8 scale off road nitro for 5+ years and I know all about waiting around. Most national events were 4 days long. 2 - 7 minute practice heats on Thursday, 3 - 5 to 7 minute quals on Friday, 1 - 5-7 minute qual on Saturday and lower mains Saturday night and upper mains Sunday.
So for a 4 day event you get less than 1 hour of wheel time! And the other time you’re chasing a set up or wrenching on your cars. I'm really digging flying, it's so much more relaxing!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:

No problem at all. I raced 1/8 scale off road nitro for 5+ years and I know all about waiting around. Most national events were 4 days long. 2 - 7 minute practice heats on Thursday, 3 - 5 to 7 minute quals on Friday, 1 - 5-7 minute qual on Saturday and lower mains Saturday night and upper mains Sunday.
So for a 4 day event you get less than 1 hour of wheel time! And the other time you’re chasing a set up or wrenching on your cars. I'm really digging flying, it's so much more relaxing!
You will love it then

In the SW - most of the contests I go to have 35-50 pilots, and just getting 2 rounds in takes us to mid-late afternoon. I could see with a smaller contest where you could get more rounds in.
mtndewdewd is offline Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
tap....tap.tap... is this on?
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
There really is no reason to fly more than 6 knowns. That is the point where 2 sequences get dropped. You would have to go to 9 sequences to get to 3 drops. That is fairly difficult for most contests. 6 Knowns, drop 2 plus the Unknown is plenty to determine a winner, which is the objective of a contest. The point of a contest is not to see how much flying you can do, but as I said, choose a winner. IAC only flies 3 sequences. A known, and Unknown and the Freestyle (pilot designed sequence).
yes, but a 7th or 8th known sequence can certainly change which sequences are dropped.... and can certainly change the order.
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Horse Power Saves Planes!
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
yes, but a 7th or 8th known sequence can certainly change which sequences are dropped.... and can certainly change the order.
+1

Also, the additional non-dropped knowns usually rewards the more consistent flier.
Fixed Wing is offline Find More Posts by Fixed Wing

Quick Reply