logo
Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 AM
Find More Posts by JakPak
Joined Oct 2009
16 Posts
Hey guys,

Is it possible to use two servos per one elevator side or is there a cut out for just one? I am thinking about using either Hitec 7955s (2 for each aileron, 2 for each elevator side and 2 or 3 for the rudder) or Hitec 7950s (two for each aileron, 1 for each ele side and 2 for the rudder). I have only hear good things about the 7955s from F3M/IMAC guys here who use them on their competition Krills and I know nothing about the 7950s yet so do not want to experiment.

Thanks,

Jakub
JakPak is offline Find More Posts by JakPak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 AM
Find More Posts by spookyeng
Kelhar Designs
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Jun 2006
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakPak View Post
Hey guys,

Is it possible to use two servos per one elevator side or is there a cut out for just one? I am thinking about using either Hitec 7955s (2 for each aileron, 2 for each elevator side and 2 or 3 for the rudder) or Hitec 7950s (two for each aileron, 1 for each ele side and 2 for the rudder). I have only hear good things about the 7955s from F3M/IMAC guys here who use them on their competition Krills and I know nothing about the 7950s yet so do not want to experiment.

Thanks,

Jakub
Each elevator has two openings for servos. I used one 8711 per side on this airplane. I used the 7955's in my last airplane (40% Slick 540) and they work really well, one per elevator half and two per aileron. Take care.

Jason
spookyeng is offline Find More Posts by spookyeng
Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by trumpetguy27
Westminster, MD
Joined Jan 2008
275 Posts
So I'm once again seriously thinking about getting either one of these or a 38% Decathlon as my next plane... Hopefully soon but we will see.

Here's my question for now... with these things coming out SO nice and light, has anybody tried one with a DA 120 yet? I would think 30 pounds even would be achievable based on the numbers I've seen so far (assuming it could be made to balance with no extra weight).

Since I am reading about the Decathlons being several pounds heavier than this and still being able to hover etc. I would THINK the 120 should haul one of these around nicely and be SUPER light... whadda you guys think?

I have a DA 150 now so I could definitely use that but I've always liked the idea of trying to set something up like the Aerotech Hyper Lights.

Anyway... Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!

Scott

(by the way ... if anybody would be interested in a great deal on a Trueworthy 41% Pitts I have one... and it would let me get the HEMPEL I've been wanting for WAY too long now.)
trumpetguy27 is offline Find More Posts by trumpetguy27
Last edited by trumpetguy27; 06-10-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by Jaybird
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts
If it is ~30 lbs a 120 should be fine, IF it will balance. Shoot, I've had a 35% before that was 29 lbs with an old style 3w TOC 100 that had plenty of power.
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by Flatlandman
Your my boy Blue!!!1
Lexington Kentucky U.S.A.
Joined Jan 2006
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy27 View Post
So I'm once again seriously thinking about getting either one of these or a 38% Decathlon as my next plane... Hopefully soon but we will see.

Here's my question for now... with these things coming out SO nice and light, has anybody tried one with a DA 120 yet? I would think 30 pounds even would be achievable based on the numbers I've seen so far (assuming it could be made to balance with no extra weight).

Since I am reading about the Decathlons being several pounds heavier than this and still being able to hover etc. I would THINK the 120 should haul one of these around nicely and be SUPER light... whadda you guys think?

I have a DA 150 now so I could definitely use that but I've always liked the idea of trying to set something up like the Aerotech Hyper Lights.

Anyway... Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!

Scott

(by the way ... if anybody would be interested in a great deal on a Trueworthy 41% Pitts I have one... and it would let me get the HEMPEL I've been wanting for WAY too long now.)
I had to run my batts on the back of the firewall with a da170 and canisters. So i think you will have a heck of a time cging the plane with a 120. IMO even if you get it set up with the 120 i believe that this plane at 33 pounds with a da150 and a 30x12 mezjlick will fly way better than it would with at 30 pounds with a da120 and 28x12 mezjlick. If its your goal to acheive the 120 powered low weight plane i would say go for it but if your goal is the best flying Hemple yak then the 150 or 170 is the best way to go. (Just my opinion here)

Another nugget for others trying to decide on 2 or 3 servos on the ailerons, with a 1 inch servo arm and imac throws ( below 27°) go 2 servos. With a longer arm 1.25-1.5 inch arm and 45° 3d throw 3 servos are better; with the 3d throw 2 servos will get a lot of blowback.
Flatlandman is offline Find More Posts by Flatlandman
Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by russ b.
Flyin' Around
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Nov 2009
9 Posts
Just to thow my two cents in.I have flown my Yak at 33 8 ,170 stock muffs for over 10 gallons,doing everything i ask it.But one thing keep naging at me,man a 170 on stock muffs, so back in went the cans,same 29x12th 3 blade mez prop ect,no change in flight same vertical same great plane, just alot less noise.The extra 1lbs 7oz made no change.I am sure there is a tipping point on weight,but this plane seems to perform.
russ b. is offline Find More Posts by russ b.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by Hammerman
DA isn't Haulin it? It Drags
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2006
2,620 Posts
I don't know what my Hemple Yak weighs but i am happy with it. DA 170 and the Pro Flows 30-13 prop. Very well powered. Get the Pro Flows, best canister system available!!!!!!
Hammerman is offline Find More Posts by Hammerman
Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Still no video of one of these flying??
mtndewdewd is offline Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
Old 06-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by GlenR
winnipeg manitoba canada
Joined Mar 2007
38 Posts
Could someone tell me the inside measurement of the cowl? Thank you glenr
GlenR is offline Find More Posts by GlenR
Old 06-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by spookyeng
Kelhar Designs
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Jun 2006
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenR View Post
Could someone tell me the inside measurement of the cowl? Thank you glenr
The inside diameter is a little over 15".

Jason
spookyeng is offline Find More Posts by spookyeng
Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by GlenR
winnipeg manitoba canada
Joined Mar 2007
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyeng View Post
The inside diameter is a little over 15".

Jason
Thank you Jason, I had a 40% TOC Yak with a 210 ZDZ (384 mm-14.941 inches spark plug cap to cap) that I truly loved for 5.5 flights. I think the BH 40% Yak and 210 ZDZ would be a great combination ??? glenr
GlenR is offline Find More Posts by GlenR
Old 06-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Joined Mar 2006
2,620 Posts
My Hempel Yak with a DA-170 and Pro-Flows was quite nose heavy. I needed to put the second elevator servo per stab and still added 2.5 oz of lead to the tail wheel bracket to get it neutral. If it were set up for rudder servos on the tail I would install them so I could remove the lead.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by toc pilot
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerman View Post
My Hempel Yak with a DA-170 and Pro-Flows was quite nose heavy. I needed to put the second elevator servo per stab and still added 2.5 oz of lead to the tail wheel bracket to get it neutral. If it were set up for rudder servos on the tail I would install them so I could remove the lead.
I am not going to disagree with your set up and CG because this is where you fly yours. BUT.... I have my batteries mounted just behind the wing tube and the CG is perfect how I have mine... I am using the 3W-170 and mufflers and single elevator servos.

In my opinion a 200cc+ motor would just be rediculous in this airplane. Plus the extra 1 pound of weight probabbly would make this airplane really nose heavy.
toc pilot is offline Find More Posts by toc pilot
Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by wings19
3D Heli Turned IMAC
United States, TX, Friendswood
Joined May 2006
293 Posts
Is there a consensus on how this plane would do on a DA-120? I have the 35% and its foamy power with the 120 on std mufflers just breaking in. I'm doing half throttle uplines. I'm thinking DA-120 on pipes or something as long as the plane stays under ~32-33lb. I think it would be interesting to try it out.
wings19 is offline Find More Posts by wings19
Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Joined Mar 2006
2,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toc pilot View Post
I am not going to disagree with your set up and CG because this is where you fly yours. BUT.... I have my batteries mounted just behind the wing tube and the CG is perfect how I have mine... I am using the 3W-170 and mufflers and single elevator servos.

In my opinion a 200cc+ motor would just be rediculous in this airplane. Plus the extra 1 pound of weight probabbly would make this airplane really nose heavy.
I agree the 200cc engines is just to much. As far as batteries mune are as far back as I can get them without adding mounting material. Wonder why mine was mor nose heavy. Even with the 3W-170 CS I felt it was very nose heavy. BTW I need a new canopy.

Quick Reply