logo
Old 11-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by Scamp73
Joined Jul 2014
8 Posts
Thanks Jerry. I was at their Warbird fly in a few weeks ago and have the basic info and made some new friends out there. I guess I am just surprised with the events the hold out there that the club doesn't have more info out there on the web.
Scamp73 is offline Find More Posts by Scamp73
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by airborneSGT
Pimpalicious
Germany, BY, Bamberg
Joined May 2006
2,241 Posts
I was really bummed to learn that KC Hobbies had closed
airborneSGT is offline Find More Posts by airborneSGT
Old 06-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by stewiek308
United States, NC, Dunn
Joined Jun 2016
52 Posts
Hey guys, it seems like not many people have been commenting on this thread any longer, but im coming back from my time in the air force and will be getting back into rc and IMAC but it seems like the rc world is kinda dwindling out in nc? I could be wrong but just wanted to try to touch base with you guys and see whats going on. Ive been out of the game for over 6 years and to see the new technology and gadgets is exciting. hope everyone is doing well.

stewie
stewiek308 is offline Find More Posts by stewiek308
Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by Scamp73
Joined Jul 2014
8 Posts
Stewie, there are actually several clubs in the Fayetteville area. I am the VP at Piedmont Aeromodelers and will gladly help you out.

Field address is 2900 Hayfield Rd.
Wade, NC 28395
Scamp73 is offline Find More Posts by Scamp73
Old 06-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by flybaby505
AmericanSpectre
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2006
748 Posts
Parkton Club

I fly both unlimited IMAC/F3A-FAI pattern , when I'm in town. I'm out there all weekend. Piedmont is a great place to fly also.

The Parkton club has a membership cap and we only have a few spots open.

Davisbridgeaeromodelers.com

The RC world is slowing due to pending Federal regulations, past sluggish economy, prior gas prices, etc (IMOP). It will pull back up when things are worked out.

Bill Holsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewiek308 View Post
Hey guys, it seems like not many people have been commenting on this thread any longer, but im coming back from my time in the air force and will be getting back into rc and IMAC but it seems like the rc world is kinda dwindling out in nc? I could be wrong but just wanted to try to touch base with you guys and see whats going on. Ive been out of the game for over 6 years and to see the new technology and gadgets is exciting. hope everyone is doing well.

stewie
flybaby505 is offline Find More Posts by flybaby505
Old 06-03-2016, 11:41 AM
United States, NC, Dunn
Joined Jun 2016
52 Posts
Thanks Scamp. I've flown at piedmont a number of times, did a lot of flying with downhumpty (kent) and all them guys. I should be back by the end of the year. Shopping for an airplane at the moment, I have an old DA 100 that may not be good anymore, any idea how long a motor can sit on a shelf and still run? Ill bench test it when I get back to nc but ill probably go ahead and get a new motor. Deciding on a competition plane is a tougher decision than I remember! Any input on new planes would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:47 AM
United States, NC, Dunn
Joined Jun 2016
52 Posts
Bill, thanks for the info! I always loved flying at piedmont. Last time I competed I was in advance, so im not sure if ill have to start back in advance or if I can drop back to intermediate while I get my feet wet again. but we will see. Thanks for the replies!
Old 06-07-2016, 06:01 PM
AmericanSpectre
Joined Jan 2006
748 Posts
Drop back

Drop back, get the fingers working and move up.

Look forward to seeing you around...

Bill

Quote:
Bill, thanks for the info! I always loved flying at piedmont. Last time I competed I was in advance, so im not sure if ill have to start back in advance or if I can drop back to intermediate while I get my feet wet again. but we will see. Thanks for the replies!
Old 06-08-2016, 04:55 AM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,305 Posts
If you're worried about the motor, send it back to da and have them freshen it up.

Tony
vatechguy3 is offline Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Old 06-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by Raleighcopter
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2016
326 Posts
I fly at dix park, helicopters and big airplanes.
Raleighcopter is offline Find More Posts by Raleighcopter
Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 AM
United States, NC, Dunn
Joined Jun 2016
52 Posts
Bill,
I dug in the rulebook and found where it says once you compete in a higher class, you cant go back. But it says nothing about taking 8 years off and coming back haha ive been putting in a lot of practice on the Advanced 2016 Known and its not been to bad so once I get back to nc and get my new plane, ill probably just get my butt kicked for a few contests until I get back into the swing of things.

Tony,
I thought about doing that but worse case scenario, they charge me for looking at it only to tell me its bad and I end up buying a DA 120 haha seems like that's what everyones running now anyways on the 35%ish planes. Ill test it out myself and see what happens and then go from there. thanks for the input!

Raleighcopter,
Where exactly is dix park? Do yal have a certain process for the combination of helis and airplanes? ive never flown at a club that had more than 1-2 helis at any given time.

thanks for all the replies!
Old 06-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by Raleighcopter
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2016
326 Posts
Dorthea dix park is near unc campus. It is more of a free form place. Not too busy and i can easily fly my helis and big stearman there. Huge field.

https://goo.gl/maps/7ienGVo6bs52
Raleighcopter is offline Find More Posts by Raleighcopter
Old 06-15-2016, 10:58 AM
AmericanSpectre
Joined Jan 2006
748 Posts
Hummm

Send Kent Porter a PM.

IMAC and pattern have different rules. I don't think anyone would oppose you jumping back in at any class. The participation is the important part. You will eventually move to the class you need to be in. Just have fun!!!

Bill

Quote:
Bill,
I dug in the rulebook and found where it says once you compete in a higher class, you cant go back. But it says nothing about taking 8 years off and coming back haha ive been putting in a lot of practice on the Advanced 2016 Known and its not been to bad so once I get back to nc and get my new plane, ill probably just get my butt kicked for a few contests until I get back into the swing of things.

Tony,
I thought about doing that but worse case scenario, they charge me for looking at it only to tell me its bad and I end up buying a DA 120 haha seems like that's what everyones running now anyways on the 35%ish planes. Ill test it out myself and see what happens and then go from there. thanks for the input!

Raleighcopter,
Where exactly is dix park? Do yal have a certain process for the combination of helis and airplanes? ive never flown at a club that had more than 1-2 helis at any given time.

thanks for all the replies!
Old 06-16-2016, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by rcdude07
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Feb 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighcopter View Post
Dorthea dix park is near unc campus. It is more of a free form place. Not too busy and i can easily fly my helis and big stearman there. Huge field.

https://goo.gl/maps/7ienGVo6bs52
You trying to start a fight by calling NC State UNC? Just yanking your chain.

Dorthea Dix is a city park behind the Farmer's Market in Raleigh. Dix is accessible via Western Blvd. There is no formal flying club at the site. Just a bunch of people who fly there. There are model rockets being flown in the same space, DLG pilots, people walking and playing in the same area, etc... I went out there once and decided to never go back. There was no established pattern, cliches/groups of friends stood together and flew their way and couldn't care about anyone else. I watched one guy put his suped up Parkzone Spitfire on the road behind the cars and pilots, take off on the road and shoot out between the trees and pilots into the field. A DLG pilot was out in the middle of field before anyone showed up and no one respected him, they buzzed him and drove him off the field. Watching all this I decided the safest thing to do was for me to pack up and watch the insanity. I was also surprised to see two local hobby shops show up in logo'ed cars and trailers and partake in the insanity.

My advice to flying at Dix is: fly at your own risk.
rcdude07 is offline Find More Posts by rcdude07
Old 06-16-2016, 10:23 AM
United States, NC, Dunn
Joined Jun 2016
52 Posts
Bill,
I know Kent so ill message him. thanks for the advice!

Looks like Dix park is a no go haha I don't want anything to do with that. thanks for the input!

Quick Reply