Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by racelikustolit3k
how low can you go
tulsa, oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
601 Posts
Re: One 5955 on rudder enough?

never lost one on a failure either, routine maintence is key in our big planes

also just for the sake of covo.. what did all the legends( QQ, hempel, hyde, ect. ect. ) use in there planes as power systems when they were flying GS with only 8411's or worse in there 40% planes, that I am sure weighed way more than what we are flying now ????
racelikustolit3k is offline Find More Posts by racelikustolit3k
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by stepsez
Fly Low - Fly Hard !!!
Columbia City,Indiana.
Joined Sep 2010
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw308 View Post
I have a 33% aero-works with a DA 85 and I have two JR8611A servos on the rudder it holds a knife edge perfect
Im going to be starting my 33% aeroworks extra 260 /Da85 vary soon but mutiple servos sound like more work/time to set up...Cant I just use one 7980 or a 7990 (Rudder) and be done w/ it?
I like flying knife edge all over the field ,so Ill be beating the piss out of the rudder...
stepsez is offline Find More Posts by stepsez
Old 01-19-2011, 11:06 PM
how low can you go
tulsa, oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepsez View Post
Im going to be starting my 33% aeroworks extra 260 /Da85 vary soon but mutiple servos sound like more work/time to set up...Cant I just use one 7980 or a 7990 (Rudder) and be done w/ it?

yep,

and if you ever have a dead stick, you can just swim the plane back to the runway with all that rudder torque
Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by stepsez
Fly Low - Fly Hard !!!
Columbia City,Indiana.
Joined Sep 2010
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racelikustolit3k View Post
yep,

and if you ever have a dead stick, you can just swim the plane back to the runway with all that rudder torque
LOL !!!!
stepsez is offline Find More Posts by stepsez
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?
Bennington VT.
Joined Aug 2008
6,798 Posts

Quote:
never lost one on a failure either, routine maintence is key in our big planes

also just for the sake of covo.. what did all the legends( QQ, hempel, hyde, ect. ect. ) use in there planes as power systems when they were flying GS with only 8411's or worse in there 40% planes, that I am sure weighed way more than what we are flying now ????
They were using multiple servos per surface. I'll bet they draw less amps using only some of there avaliable torque than a servo that is maxxed out and or stalled. when I used one 5955 on the rudder push pull I used 500 mha per flight when I went to two I used 425 per flight. I use about the same with one 8711 but I fly alot harder than I use to. They had alot more flight failers back in the day then we do now. Plese don't take this the wrong way but you can't be doing wide open snaps, blenders, rolling circle, rolling loops. or any hard manuvers the whole flight with that setup ? I'm only giving advice of what I have excperiance with. I ran a plane with the same setup as you. qq 102 and everything got hot and the packs failed twice. Never lost the plane because of dual redundant setup. But if you fly hard that setup isn't enough, or if you want the plane to last forever at least use better batteries. You and the op can use what you wish that's what makes this a hobbie great. I just hope it doesn't fail with a crowd around.
scott m lyons is offline Find More Posts by scott m lyons
Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 PM
how low can you go
tulsa, oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
601 Posts

I have flown that setup for YEARS and I have snapped two wings off the plane ( thank you great planes for sendind me new wings)... never falied, never will ( I fly at my private field with a few select guys, so no crowds involved ) another thing I HAVE noticed between my 59/7955 tg's and the my junk 8711's is that vibration also kills packs and works the servo's... meaning a direct push pull sending vibes straight to my no slop titanium gears, may just be workin my servo even at an idle, while my 8711's sloppy ole gears disapate the engery through the gear train,, thus saving a few tiny little mah's

I was also talking about the ni-mh packs, a123's and Li batts havent been out that long meaning they do have a place in giant scale other than our ignitions......

I have the same plane as your avitar, maybe (( H9 46% ulty )) has 15 5955 servo's in it and she has worked like a champ for 3 straight years with only 2 4500mah NI-MH's on-board
Old 01-19-2011, 11:57 PM
how low can you go
tulsa, oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott m lyons View Post
I couldn't tell you the temps but I know it's not supposto melt the case.

also another weird one, in all my years as a journeymen electrician.. I have never seen a total case meltdown on an enclosed motor situation ( like your servo ) that didnt first fail in the wire leading to the motor....... meaning maybe our tiny, yet very long extension's need to be ugpraded to a larger GA. wire befor we rule a servo as a culprate tiny wires, carppy current flow, voltage drop, sending the amps through the roof, giving very poor performance, that sort of thing.....

hmmmmm maybe these brainstorming conversations could lead to a whole new line of electrical gear for our GS planes

DANG I LOVE FG
Old 01-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?
Bennington VT.
Joined Aug 2008
6,798 Posts

Quote:
also another weird one, in all my years as a journeymen electrician.. I have never seen a total case meltdown on an enclosed motor situation ( like your servo ) that didnt first fail in the wire leading to the motor....... meaning maybe our tiny, yet very long extension's need to be ugpraded to a larger GA. wire befor we rule a servo as a culprate tiny wires, carppy current flow, voltage drop, sending the amps through the roof, giving very poor performance, that sort of thing.....

hmmmmm maybe these brainstorming conversations could lead to a whole new line of electrical gear for our GS planes

DANG I LOVE FG
I though of that as well about the extension's . I always use 20ga ext's just for that reason. Yes that is an altimate 46% in my avitar. Flys well has a mix of jr and hitec servos in it and 4 a123's 2300's. Can get about 10-12 13 minute flights. no power box and one reciver. I powered each wing seprate with a battery share for redundancy . The other two batteries power the reciver in a redundant manner.Work well.

The 5955 didn't melt all the way through the case. It just bubbled it up and burnt the bottom of the case. weird.
scott m lyons is offline Find More Posts by scott m lyons
Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2006
3,988 Posts

Not all 100cc planes are the same. You can't just group all 100cc's into one category and say that anything over a 5955/7955 is an overkill. It depends on a lot more than the size of the motor. One thing of importance is the size of the rudder. Some 50cc planes have as big of a rudder as the GP Cap or the OMP Yak55.

Here is one example. My friend has a Comp ARF 3.1m Super Xtra w/a Set of fitted covers for the rudder and stabs. The Rudder cover fits my 110" EF Yak Perfectly. It's not a bit to big for it. IMO the 110" Yak needs more than a single 5955/7955. I switched from a single 8711 to two 7955's on my Yak and could tell a big difference in the rudder authority. Now compare the size of the rudder between the EF Yak and an OMP Yak and there is a big difference.
cjcyclesrc is offline Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by shotgun
Mojo Aviation Flight Team
Hucking with the Stars- Zero G style
Joined Dec 2007
1,332 Posts

Well said Charles,
I agree. We are currently running a single 7990 rudder servo on two 37% planes, and have been very pleased. We wanted the simplicity and weight savings of a single servo, but with the large rudders on most 3D planes, I certainly wouldn't trust it to just one 7955. We have about 30 5955/7955 servos in use on our BIG planes, but the 7980/7990 is fast, strong, and gives us a little extra piece of mind.
No pissin in the wind!!
shotgun is offline Find More Posts by shotgun
Old 01-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by aviti
St Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2006
1,342 Posts

I agree with Charles. I ran one 8711 on a 24 lb 100cc Extra 260 for years. It had plenty of power and developed no slop. I tried a single 8711 on my 110 EF Yak and it lacked authority and developed slop in a couple months. I added anothe 8711 and it was noticeably better.
aviti is offline Find More Posts by aviti