logo
Old 04-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,473 Posts
Perfect Smoke System/Setup

Well today was the first time in a long time I ran smoke in the 260. I have a DA-150 with MTW Canisters. We put the smoke going through just the bottom of the header just before the canister. I am also running a skywriter smoke system. (so far motor in it is fine heard a lot of problems about them) The smoke fluid I am using is Super dri.
I do have the throttle and smoke on a mix curve. I believe I always heard more throttle more smoke less throttle less smoke. I program that. So far at low idle it puts out a okay smoke and at high it doesnt put out. I speeded the pump up at high but didnt get to try it again today. I was just wonder how do you guys get that really white white puffy smoke to come out. Today was a little cloudy day so it was hard to tell. I do know one thing. TOO much smoke will cause the liquid to cool the mufflers and the smoke will just run right on out.

Also another thing I have always heard if you mixed Diesel and Transmission fluid this would be a great to use for smoke. Is this true? I am thinking about getting a gas tank and fill it up with the fuel I dump out at the airport for when I do the fuel test every day. I believe jet fuel would work perfect!
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2006
3,408 Posts
Re: Perfect Smoke System/Setup

Kevin, when we set up my Yak, I believe we bench tested it and we set the pump so at idle, it didnt pump at all, and at full throttle, it pumped 8ish oz. per minute. We set a linear graph to this so that it slowly increased as the throttle did. This was a very good starting point for the DA 100, I actually could have probably stepped it up a bit more. Try getting a graduated sylinder, or some sort of measuring device, and pull the line of the muffs, and put it in the cup, and try to get it around 8 oz per minute. Should be somewhat close, but again this was for my DA 100 . . . not a 150, so I'm not real sure if that would make a difference or not. Increase the amount of smoke fluid per minute, until it starts getting worse, then go back a bit. Or if it gets worse off the bat, then back it off.

Seth
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,473 Posts

thanks seth! will give it a try. I think now I barely have it running at idle. what fluid are you using?
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 04-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Find More Posts by RightThrust
Ocala, FL
Joined Jan 2006
271 Posts

Hey Kevin, how much residue is left on your airplane after running the smoke? That's how I judge how to setup the smoke. The way to get the best smoke is to burn as much of the oil as possible. With super dri you should have a slight residue on the bottom of your plane and it should be slippery. If you have oil running down the bottom it's way too much. Sounds like you have the nipples in the right spot, mine are about 1" after the bend in the header. I prefer the TME pumps and found something interesting with mine. At full throttle my pump is set about 20% or so. I ran it at like 80% and if I ran the pump for a couple of seconds it would continue smoking for over a minute. The optimum smoke setup should turn on and off quickly with very little residual smoke trail. If you're trailing smoke for a while after you turn it off the oil is pooling in the cans. See you soon when I get my stuff up to GA.

-Kelly
RightThrust is offline Find More Posts by RightThrust

Quick Reply