logo
Old 07-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,115 Posts
I can only share that s friend has the 40% and I have the 47% and I don’t see anything of concern in the design. It’s rare in RC for any mfr to comment on an alleged defect so I doubt after all these years one will be forthcoming. It’s easy enough to beef up the engine box if one wants to, in my case I had to cut the firewall back to accommodate the four cylinder. Good luck on whatever you do.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-29-2019, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheli View Post
Thanks Hodge, mine was a standard order from Chief Aircraft.
I painted the gray interior and installed a foam panel deck in the rear half of the cabin.
She looks Great, Fyi Pilot now make wing bags for the Decathlons
The Hodge is online now Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 07-29-2019, 04:32 PM
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhf View Post
Specifically

page 32 - cropduster - structural failure
page 31 - iunazzi - radio issue but the owner felt the need to reinforce the airframe

Several other comments on how to strengthen. Granted this may be unwarranted fear but there have certainly been some unexplained structural failures.

Lots of photos on the 150" thread of it breaking and starting to break apart around the UC

Looking for a response from the manufacturer on this specific issue.
I think with theses sorts of things, Look over the plane and If you feel you need more strength as you may push the plan more etc Or are running larger than Speeced engine, then do what you feel is right. its always a compromise between weight & strength.

Landing gear area is always a common one for most model makers, Hard landing are not always kind to them for sure, There is a few pics in this thread that show this area off so you can see for your self, But its mosly like Other pilot planes.

Regarding landing gear The Pilot wheels are rock hard, and for less than perfect landings transfer more force to the Fuse, Would be worth while to change to a softer dubro or similer wheel, One for more scale look but also to absorb more and to help with bounce. Ill be doing this with a 5 inch wheel.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:20 PM
uhf
Find More Posts by uhf
uhf
Joined Feb 2010
8 Posts
I know they wont say there is a problem but it would be nice if they identified one to say what they did to fix it. I've had pilot models before including an early sbach and found it wasnt very strong. I've got 3 x ef 104 now and they're all rock solid after several years (well except the wing that delaminated after 40 flights!)

Expecting a model to take a heavy landing is unreasonable but seeing so many comments regarding them breaking up in flight is disturbing. I was looking at a BH but no response from 3 emails now.
uhf is offline Find More Posts by uhf
Old 07-29-2019, 06:00 PM
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhf View Post
I know they wont say there is a problem but it would be nice if they identified one to say what they did to fix it. I've had pilot models before including an early sbach and found it wasnt very strong. I've got 3 x ef 104 now and they're all rock solid after several years (well except the wing that delaminated after 40 flights!)

Expecting a model to take a heavy landing is unreasonable but seeing so many comments regarding them breaking up in flight is disturbing. I was looking at a BH but no response from 3 emails now.
I wonder if the pilots having issue are Pushing the model past what the really designed for? Ie Hard blenders etc. & A lot of motor.

I Dont think you will be Disappointed with the Pilot Decathlon. Over the years Pilots models have just gotten better and better, Great fit and Finish in my experience.

I Did have the same Experience with contacting BH, I also i found the Decathlon of his Is less complete (No hardware etc) and is not a nicely finished in my view. But it is a little bigger.

Hope this helps
Old 07-29-2019, 06:06 PM
Joined Mar 2010
4,115 Posts
Yes, as the pilot and owner of a 47% i would be disturbed too, I just don’t see any credibility to the concern. BH 96 is a nice airplane. Bill can be a challenge to get a hold of.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:13 PM
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Yes, as the pilot and owner of a 47% i would be disturbed too, I just donít see any credibility to the concern. BH 96 is a nice airplane. Bill can be a challenge to get a hold of.
47% That must be a challenge to Transport and setup SO dam big

Give us a PIc
Old 07-29-2019, 07:31 PM
Joined Mar 2010
4,115 Posts
Yep, itís big.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:16 PM
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Yep, it’s big.
Looks Great, Its Giant lol like the Truturn Spinner.
What did you do to your windscreen lol?

Is yours just the standard Red covering (Flame Red)?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:45 AM
Joined Mar 2010
4,115 Posts
the plane sat in the boxes it was shipped in for several years in a friend's hangar. he sold it to me and i figured I would fly it before replacing the windshield. I got lucky on the spinner - it's a 6" and a friend had it and the three blade that he sold me. it is a beast to put together and transport. it requires a table and cordless drill.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,300 Posts
Hi Guys,

Change of Plans, Im not going with the 122, Decathlon now, Have decided it maybe a little small for my liking.

So instead im looking at going with the EMHW 35% Bellanca Kit. Its 133 inch wing span.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by danimach
United States, GA, Evans
Joined Nov 2017
90 Posts
Started building mine today. I am extremely impressed with this kit. Wow, the covering is nearly perfect. The hardware is excellent and bagged like I have never seen before. Began with the wings. (They are big) Installed the wiring harness and servos. Painted the control horns and installed.
Had to drill out the hangar 9 servo arms for the larger attachment screw on the power hd servos and tapped them to 3mm. Going to do the struts tonight and have the wings finished.
Hope the rest goes this smooth.
danimach is offline Find More Posts by danimach
Last edited by danimach; 08-15-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 08-15-2019, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by always flying
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
315 Posts
Thats awesome! i'll start mine in the winter! please keep the pics coming
always flying is online now Find More Posts by always flying
Old 08-15-2019, 10:29 PM
United States, GA, Evans
Joined Nov 2017
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by always flying View Post
Thats awesome! i'll start mine in the winter! please keep the pics coming
Thanks, and I am planning to post all of this build. It is the opposite of winter here. Been so hot and humid for so long this summer, its build time.
Have to go to the field by 0700 to be done by 1045 due to heat. Looking forward to October weather and flying this.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:41 PM
United States, GA, Evans
Joined Nov 2017
90 Posts
Wings are done as far as I can go for now. Strut ends will need to be drilled and bolted once proper placement is made with the fuselage attach points. Rx is programmed and full span aileron mix is setup.
Tailwheel is next.
Last edited by danimach; 08-17-2019 at 03:10 PM. Reason: sp

Quick Reply