Find More Posts by Jim T.
VIBE!
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jan 2006
2,075 Posts
Discussion
10 Questions for Bill Hempel

10 Questions...
This is a new article series that will be running on FlyingGiants. We will email 10 questions to giant scale RC pilots, designers, and industry leaders to learn more about them.

This week we get the skinny on Bill Hempel. I know Bill from all the amazing birds he flies each year at Joe Nall. You might know Bill from his company Team Edge. Let's jump in and get to know more about him:

1. How did you get involved in RC?
My Father got me started in the Hobby. At the time he was heavily into Pattern competition and racing. He also started a new hobby shop called the Hobby Barn in Tucson supporting this area with RC products. I was always with my father and went to the different events and he taught me how to fly. At the age of 7, I was already competing in National Championships flying ¼ midgets, pattern and scale events.

2. What was your first RC plane?
I had a Mini-Stick as my first primary trainer. It had a K&B .15 motor and I still remember crashing this plane, hitting the fence on landing.

3. Who was your mentor?
My father taught me everything he knew in RC! He started me on the path of competition and I loved it! I was very fortunate to have such a great teacher that was into different areas of RC. I learned all about engines, racing, pattern flying and scale competition and at 11 years old, I built my own Flightglass P-51 Mustang.

4. Have you flown competitively?
Yes, all of my RC life.

5. How did you move into giant scale?
I started flying IMAC in 1996. I had an Aeroworks 35% Edge 540 ARF. This was a very cool airplane and it took me to the National Championships where I won Unlimited class in 1998. From there, I wanted something bigger for my first TOC invite in 1998. I designed a 40% version of the Edge 540 and it was awesome! From there I knew 40% airplanes were where I wanted to be! In 1999, I designed and built a 50% Edge 540 for the 1999 TOC competition. Now, Giant Scale means different things to different people, for me giant scale is anything 50% or larger.

6. When did you get your company going and what was your motivation?
As a result of competing at the TOC and designing large competition airplanes, more and more people started contacting me wanting the 50% Edge 540. I started off with a partner building these monster 50% Edge’s from scratch but soon became overwhelmed with the amount of orders and simply could not keep up with the demand. In 1997 I formed Team Edge LLC. The first production ARF was my 50% Edge 540. To date, we have sold over 500 Edges to all parts of the world.

7. What is currently your favorite plane to fly?
My latest project that was just brought to market is the 65% DR-1 Triplane. I wanted to build a model that conforms to the AMA regulations of having a 125 pound maximum takeoff weight but still be as physically big as possible and still be legal to fly. The 65% Triplane was the perfect choice. The full size counterpart is pretty big and a tall aircraft. The 65% DR-1 stands over 6 ½ tall and has an 18’ ws. My DR-1 weighed 121 pound with full fuel. It is really my favorite plane right now.

8. If you could design anything what would it be?
I am still trying to figure out my limits on what I can do. My business plan hasn't really followed what my customers have wanted but on what I have always wanted. So far, so good as sales seems to be growing and my line of airplanes keeps growing. I have not always chosen the best planes to build and an example of this would be the Hiperbipe. I wanted an RC model of the Hiperbipe because I owned a real SNS-7 Hiperbipe. Bringing this airplane to the RC market was not difficult but once I had it available it turned out to be a rather difficult airplane to fly. As a result, we have discontinued the model. Currently, I am designing a 50% Pitts Challenger to be released later this year.

9. What is in your RC future?
More planes! I will continue to bring more large scale ARF’s to the market. I have ideas on about 4 or 5 planes that I want to build and fly. I will do another large RC glider and maybe a new turbine model. As of our current rule set, the 65% DR-1 is the largest RC model I can produce here in the USA but maybe a large WWII plane would be cool?

10. If you could give advice or a tip to someone new in giant scale what would it be?
Starting off into a giant scale airplane can be a little overwhelming. There is a lot to learn about gas motors, batteries and proper servo set up. I would recommend getting help from a fellow club member and try to learn as much as possible from talking to people and ask for help. Giant scale airplanes are very rewarding and having someone to help guide you can make your transition into Giant Scale a much more positive experience. I would also recommend making your first giant scale model something that is easy to fly. Getting a giant scale twin engine scale plane with retracts and having a high wing loading may not be the best introduction into Giant Scale models.

Thanks to Bill for taking the time to answer our questions for FG.

Visit Bill Hempel's site.

Bill Hempel's Fokker Dr1 at Joe Nall 2014 (3 min 3 sec)
Jim T. is offline Find More Posts by Jim T.
Administrator
Last edited by Jim T.; 08-05-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
Bill who? LOL!

Nice interview
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 08-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
Phil Hintle I think he said his name was.

All kidding aside Bill is one of those big names in the industry who has always been very accessible.
Years ago before I knew him, out of the blue I looked up his number on directory assistance, called him up, and he spent about an hour on the phone with me helping me program my 9 ZAP. Really good guy.
Bill

Very Nice interview.
Badams is offline Find More Posts by Badams
Last edited by Badams; 08-05-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by BillJ
Where Big is REALLY BIG
United States, VA, Max Meadows
Joined Apr 2006
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmceachern View Post
Bill who? LOL!

Nice interview
Bill...the myth.... the legend.... Who Lands like a butterfly with sore feet...and takes alot of my money to his bank.....LOL
BillJ is offline Find More Posts by BillJ
Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by CHUCK
TUCSON,AZ.
Joined Oct 2006
1,284 Posts
I can't thank Bill enough he has really helped my son(Jacob) out a Ton.
Thanks again for all you do for my son
Thanks
Chuck
CHUCK is offline Find More Posts by CHUCK
Old 08-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by gridley
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Jan 2006
93 Posts
Very nice article and pics.
gridley is offline Find More Posts by gridley
Old 08-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by bobzilla
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Apr 2006
2,541 Posts
Why not just into the cockpit of the Fokker with your radio and fly yourself around!!
bobzilla is offline Find More Posts by bobzilla
Old 08-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
United States, MO, Sullivan
Joined Jul 2011
1,345 Posts
I just have ONE question for Bill Hempel.

When is the 25% L-4 Grasshopper going on sale?
pawnshopmike is offline Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
Old 08-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
I love that Billy isn't afraid to push the envelope on RC aircraft. His DR-1 is simply fantastic!
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 08-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by Timber
United States, IL, Hoffman Estates
Joined Sep 2011
246 Posts
Great article. I own a Mr. Hempel 35% Yak 55 what a great flying Plane.
Timber is offline Find More Posts by Timber
Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by Hammerman
DA isn't Haulin it? It Drags
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2006
2,620 Posts
this Hempel 260 is a really good flyer.
Hammerman is offline Find More Posts by Hammerman
Old 08-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by yak55mpilot
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2011
86 Posts
Thanks for all the help Billy! Really appreciate everything you do for me! Your 260 is a great flier, can't wait to get the Xtreme Decathlon done. Thanks again to all the help!
yak55mpilot is offline Find More Posts by yak55mpilot
Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by wingwall
Edgewood, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,217 Posts
I have seen a number of planes saved by doing what is, or must be termed, a "Hempel", since I understand he was the first to do one and have it documented. Many of you know what I mean. You have seen the video.

Some people have had the presents of mind to apply the wing high knife-edge to save a plane from a lost wing panel since seeing Bill do it, or someone following what he first did. We have a young fella here in the NW who saved his freestyle plane when one wing ripped off. John Paul Takacs put it in a knife-edge with the remaining wing high, brought it around, and landed on the wheels. It was a tense moment, and an amazing thing to see.

Thanks to Bill for that!
wingwall is offline Find More Posts by wingwall
Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Busutil
We like to watch....
Yuma Arizona
Joined Mar 2008
2,662 Posts
Was it really necessary to ask Bill question #4? Especially after question #1 and 3...

Nice Job Bill!! Love your planes
Mike Busutil is offline Find More Posts by Mike Busutil
Last edited by Mike Busutil; 08-06-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by bogan
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2006
306 Posts
Wow 500 Edges. That's a ton of balsa and film !
bogan is offline Find More Posts by bogan

Quick Reply