Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by Flynbulldog
IMAC and 3D
USA
Joined Jun 2006
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstocktx View Post
I guess there was a typo...product description says 0.14-0.12 sec, but if you look at the pic, it says 0.11-0.09 sec assuming it is the correct servo in the pic
The servo in the pic is the lower torque 245 oz servo - of course its just geared for more speed which means it will have less torque.

I guessing that both are the same servo just geared differently.

I might buy one of these and do some testing.
Flynbulldog is offline Find More Posts by Flynbulldog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-17-2013, 07:54 PM
IMAC and 3D
USA
Joined Jun 2006
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooinit View Post
That must have been painful
yes, yes it was...
Old 11-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by superstocktx
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
I see that now lol. Might give the 245 in/oz a try, that'll be plenty for a 30cc
superstocktx is offline Find More Posts by superstocktx
Old 11-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Find More Posts by Tony Hallo
springdale, pa usa
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynbulldog View Post
I went through about 12 pages of heli threads and didn't find anything about these servos.
Look here
https://www.google.com/search?q=prom...w=1120&bih=533
Tony Hallo is offline Find More Posts by Tony Hallo
Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by boggintuff
Sigh...really?
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
man I wish there was some servo testing already done. YouTube produced no results.
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 AM
IMAC and 3D
USA
Joined Jun 2006
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hallo View Post
yeah, there are some mentions of the servo but no real-world reviews or tests.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by crash.n.dash05
"Hey your low end is to rich"
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Nov 2010
218 Posts
John Beech at audacity models ( Heli mfg) is a great guy to deal with and he backs his products... If I had some extra money I was going to get some of his servos to try...
crash.n.dash05 is offline Find More Posts by crash.n.dash05
Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by Mike 48
Super Contributor
United States, CA, Indio
Joined Jul 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstocktx View Post
They are kinda slow tho 0.14-0.12 sec, but they look nice!...that's all that matter right?

Might have to try some in my new 30cc Redwing RC Slick 540. Here is the build log: https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=86668
"They look nice….that's all that matter right". Reminds me of the Mintor (Merda) engine. You can't judge a book by its cover. I've learned the hard way to not buy new market items when they first come out. Not always, but often enough something new will have problems that need fixing before becoming a good product. I will no longer become a beta tester for some new item until plenty of satisfied customers have given the item a good review.

The new servos may be great or they may be junk. Only time will tell with those who buy them and report on how well they work. As for me, I do not intend to be a tester.
Mike 48 is offline Find More Posts by Mike 48
Old 11-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 48 View Post
"They look nice….that's all that matter right". Reminds me of the Mintor (Merda) engine. You can't judge a book by its cover. I've learned the hard way to not buy new market items when they first come out. Not always, but often enough something new will have problems that need fixing before becoming a good product. I will no longer become a beta tester for some new item until plenty of satisfied customers have given the item a good review.

The new servos may be great or they may be junk. Only time will tell with those who buy them and report on how well they work. As for me, I do not intend to be a tester.
LOL...I almost mentioned something about the Merda engine, but I held back.

These servos look decent and are priced right. Maybe I get some of the 245 in/oz ones and see what happens.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:21 PM
IMAC and 3D
USA
Joined Jun 2006
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 48 View Post

Yeah, a good friend of mine bought one of those Mintor 4 cyl engines - now the engine is gone - sent back to who knows where and lost in limbo no doubt - $3000 down the drain

I feel a bit better about these. But I'm a glass half full kinda guy
Old 11-18-2013, 03:24 PM
IMAC and 3D
USA
Joined Jun 2006
516 Posts
I sent an email asking about resolution and amperage draw and here's the response I got from John.

Hi, I'm wondering about the resolution on your new PDRS74520BLHV brushless digital servos. I have a radio that transmits 4096 steps of resolution, are your servos designed for that resolution? Also, Can you tell me nominal and peak current draw? Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

Good morning. We're in early this AM to help pack orders received over the weekend but I'm answering emails intermittently as well.

Anyway, our servos offer 1024-resolution. For what it's worth, we debated this issue of resolution internally here quite a bit before ultimately saying, "Screw it" and going with 1024. Why? Simply because these chips were readily available, proven, and reasonably priced (proven was the important consideration, then price, then readily available). Oh, and yes, the servos work just fine with radios outputting 2048 or 4096-steps, no problem (and eventually with 8192-resolution when someone claims this is better).

For what it's worth, in our tests, we find it essentially impossible to plot 1024 output motion as anything but perfectly smooth analog output (e.g. no steps whatsoever) and thus, as a practical consideration, I rather doubt anyone on this planet can discern steps in the servos, ours, theirs, anybody's regardless of brand, or whether the servo's claimed resolution is 4096, 2048, or 1024. This is true even on the workbench, but most especially it true while flying because the surface is always moving when the model's flying. That, plus there's minute play in linkages (even when using ball bearings on controls linkages, which aren't common on most models, and especially uncommon on the hinges). This reminds me of the whole "measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon, and cut with an ax" principle.

Nevertheless, I won't argue with anyone who believe it matters because it's an unwinnable argument, e.g. eventually a servo vendor says, "Our servos offer xxxxx-resolution" and simply because it's a bigger number there are some who will automatically presume this means they're better when in reality, it just doesn't matter because the number of steps a radio system is outputting to the receiver bears little relationship in the real world where we perceive things in an analog fashion. Remember, the goal of increasing the number of steps in the first place is to more closely approximate analog output, or no steps at all.

Finally, 400-500mA is nominal draw and they're pulling about 3000mA, or 3A when fully stalled, which is about the limit of the JR style connector, anyway. However, in practice, stalled is quite uncommon so I wouldn't worry overly much about it. It may be worth noting we offer 2S LiPo packs (1800mAh capacity) but I think we're packing out the last of them this AM and more are expected later in the week or early next.

In closing, thanks for giving me an opportunity to address your concerns.

Cheers,
John
Old 11-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
I spoke to John on the phone before, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on some
Old 11-18-2013, 10:49 PM
IMAC and 3D
USA
Joined Jun 2006
516 Posts
I'm about ready to buy new servos for a 40% plane. I'm looking at the Savox 1231SG and these pro modeler servos
I like that the PM servos are brushless but they are 1024 resolution. I know that John insists that we cant feel the difference but the reality is that more steps is going to be smother whether we can feel it or not.

The Savox servos that I'm looking at are not brushless but they are rated at 4096 resolution.

What is more important - Brushless motors that have less wear and are more accurate - or higher resolution?
Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
I'd say the 1024 resolution would be fine, I doubt anyone could feel that in the air with a plane. I can tell the difference in my heli's tho, every nano second counts in a heli
Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
You really can't feel the difference, to the average pilot. I swapped in some Savox 2270's in lieu of JR 8711 HV, in a Comp ARF MX2. I almost noticed instantly, that the roll rate was crisper, the snaps were stopping faster. The elevator was a bit more responsive. All in all, a big win win for me. Am I going to get rid of my JR servos?? Not on your life! I have other airplanes they can reside in.

The difference in transit time is only .03/60 travel. Can I tell that difference?? No, but the Savox surely do feel better in the air, than the JR does.

I'm such a believer in the Savox line of servos, my Rush 750 FBL heli has Savox 1267 speed servos on cyclic and pitch. And I'm soon to be ordering a set for a 60cc Corvus Racer from Red Aero RC.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle

Quick Reply