logo
Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by FastnLow
Joined Feb 2006
614 Posts
Re: Full-Scale Airports, RC Flying (and hopefully a little mutual understanding)

Does anyone know what happened with this situation? Who got the blame in the end run?
FastnLow is offline Find More Posts by FastnLow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by STATUS
Victoria Australia
Joined Nov 2010
180 Posts
Re: Full-Scale Airports, RC Flying (and hopefully a little mutual understanding)

Bingo to OP certainly agree.
STATUS is offline Find More Posts by STATUS
Last edited by STATUS; 01-09-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by Turbo442
Flyin' Around
Joined Jan 2009
2 Posts
I live at an airpark with 18 other homes that share a private airstrip. I have been involved in model aviation for over 30 years. An airpark is designed to support full scale aircraft, this is the primary purpose. As a group of homeowners on the airpark we are liable for the actions that occur on our airpark weather we invite another full scale pilot to land, drive our car across the runway or fly a model airplane in the vicinity of the runway. It is not uncommon for model aircraft to fly in the vicinity of our airpark, but models must ALWAYS give the right of way to ANY full scale aircraft operations. Without being in direct radio communication with the other aircraft, I would want to error to caution and assume the landing aircraft needs to land immediately. (low on fuel, engine problems, etc).

If I see a full scale aircraft in the vicinity of the airpark, I would assume his intention is to land. Generally in the full scale aviation world, a flyby of a runway means intent to land, clear the runway. In this case, if the full scale aircraft made a low flyby first, I would immediately land the model aircraft.

On the other hand, a low high speed flyby down the runway with the full scale SA750 is a reckless manuver at an uncontrolled airport even if it's your private airstrip.

I would be willing to bet the pilot of the full scale SA750 decided to have a little fun, probably monitoring the CTAF heard no other aircraft in the area. Time to buzz the runway. Well, he never thought of a hovering RC aircraft over the runway and the rest is history.

Reading the accident investigation it reads like any other, a bunch of half truths from the pilot in an attempt to avoid any guilt. (insurance and FAA problems).

Is the RC pilot at fault? Absolutely not, he was a guest of this airpark. He is not a full scale pilot, how should he know the rules and operation of this airpark.

Is the full scale pilot at fault? It's hard to place blame here either, he is returning to his home airport, possbibly not expecting model aircraft to be flying. To be honest, when I fly full scale and approach an airport, model airplanes are the last thing I am watching for.

Is the event organizer responsible? In my opinion, yes. He is a member of the airpark, he should be responsible for the safety of the spectators, home owners and potential aircraft operating in the area.
Turbo442 is offline Find More Posts by Turbo442
Old 04-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Find More Posts by Ira d
Ira d
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jan 2009
454 Posts
I put most of the blame on the full scale pilot because as I understand it he was in radio contact with the
airboss and had been told there was a model in the air, The full scale then told the airboss he was going
around but instead made a hi speed low pass down the runway or just to left of the runway.
Ira d is offline Find More Posts by Ira d
Old 04-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
I'm going to wait and see who then the FAA and NTSB hod responsible, because, you see, their opinions are the only ones that matter.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 04-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by rcakropilot
What... Weather sucks again!!!
Hyannis, Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2007
5,648 Posts
I can't believe this thread is still going.

rcakropilot is offline Find More Posts by rcakropilot
Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by Scags
Greenville, MS
Joined Jan 2009
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo442 View Post
I live at an airpark with 18 other homes that share a private airstrip. I have been involved in model aviation for over 30 years. An airpark is designed to support full scale aircraft, this is the primary purpose. As a group of homeowners on the airpark we are liable for the actions that occur on our airpark weather we invite another full scale pilot to land, drive our car across the runway or fly a model airplane in the vicinity of the runway. It is not uncommon for model aircraft to fly in the vicinity of our airpark, but models must ALWAYS give the right of way to ANY full scale aircraft operations. Without being in direct radio communication with the other aircraft, I would want to error to caution and assume the landing aircraft needs to land immediately. (low on fuel, engine problems, etc).
Scags is offline Find More Posts by Scags
Old 04-23-2011, 04:52 AM
Find More Posts by daveymg
Flyin' Around
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroAcro View Post

With 100% certainty, I can guarantee you that the full-scale pilot involved in the incident would have NEVER deliberately ignored the advisement of RC flying being in progress above the runway, and proceeded with a low pass that would have put him in close proximity to the RC model. I guarantee the full-scale pilot NEVER saw the RC model.
While you make some fair comments on the incident, the only time you can make these comments is when you're speaking for yourself.

Dave
daveymg is offline Find More Posts by daveymg

Quick Reply