logo
Old 09-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by bryan01601
United States, CT, West Hartford
Joined Jan 2006
769 Posts
Discussion
EME 120 review

I am just getting back into the hobby after a 5 year break. Kids and work got in the way. About a month ago my 13 year old son stumbles upon an old trainer and wants to learn to fly ! Just the excuse I needed with the Mrs. to get back into it. So I decided to build/assemble a 104" extreme flight extra. With 2 kids sucking the paychecks away I needed to save some $$$ without compromising the airplane. So I decided to go with a EME 120 for an engine. I do not want to start a brand war or an engine bashing session. I just want to give my honest review of the EME without any bias. I also want it to be know that my past experiences with gas have been as follows. I have used the following engines chronological order. BME 50 in a great planes PW extra , 3w50 in a comp arf 2.3 extra, DA-100 in an aviation models 35% yak, DA-150 in an aviation models 40% extra, Da-150 in a Jtech edge, Da-150 in a 3w competition series extra Wagstaff scheme. I want to make it perfectly clear I chose this engine based on relative value. It was with mixed emotions as I have been a DA-guy and always like to support dave and his company. However, when it becomes a choice of most bang for your buck I chose the EME hoping I will have a good reliable engine at half the cost.

Ok sorry for the long winded intro.

First Impressions :
I purchased the engine through Mile High Rc and in 3 days had the engine at my door. great service and very quick shipping. they even provided a tracking number to track the shipment via e-mail. The engine comes boxed and packed in cutout foam for protection to the engine. Upon initial inspection the engine seems light the castings are good and I am over all very pleased and would even say they have exceeded my expectations for a low-cost motor. I will post some pictures of the motor and packaging in the am. Next will be to get my prop and test/break in the motor in a few days.

Again no flaming just want to give my honest assessment of this value line of engines.
bryan01601 is offline Find More Posts by bryan01601
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by 49dimes
Joined Dec 2010
2,114 Posts
Very much looking forward for your experience with this product. Thanks for posting.
49dimes is offline Find More Posts by 49dimes
Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,961 Posts
money as always plays a part,i am sure you will like the EME,other do.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 09-28-2013, 06:21 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,838 Posts
I've had good luck with mine. I use a 28x9w Falcon Carbon to tow gliders with my 33% Pawnee
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 09-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,525 Posts
Once I get another 35% done, I'm putting my 120 in it, and thinking about trying the 28x9W. Probably be next year............
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by chrisventer
Joined Mar 2008
22 Posts
hallo did any one give you any feedback on the eme 120 cc? i also whant to know?
chrisventer is offline Find More Posts by chrisventer
Old 11-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Feb 2013
2,790 Posts
I know that I was very impressed with the performance of my EME 60. Seeing as how the 120 uses the same cylinders, Bore/stroke it should be very similar. My old 60 has about 50 gallons run through it and so far not even a hiccup. Had one deadstick with it but I leaned the low speed too far and hammered the throttle from idle attempting a KE spin. Added 1/8th turn to the mixture screw and that never happened again. Currently I am in talks with a seller for a DA120 but if that falls through EME is the only other option on the list. Does anyone know if the bolt patterns are the same for EME120/DA120 like they are for the 60?
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 11-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by rick dazzler
www.taildraggerrc.com
park city, ky
Joined Jan 2006
5,207 Posts
Yes the da 120 has the same mount pattern.
rick dazzler is offline Find More Posts by rick dazzler
Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick dazzler View Post
Yes the da 120 has the same mount pattern.
Not to be a stickler but ............ the EME has the same mount pattern as the DA120.
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by rick dazzler
www.taildraggerrc.com
park city, ky
Joined Jan 2006
5,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Not to be a stickler but ............ the EME has the same mount pattern as the DA120.
Understood.. The eme copies da 120 pattern how about that?
rick dazzler is offline Find More Posts by rick dazzler
Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Find More Posts by probrodude
United States, FL, Lutz
Joined Apr 2007
400 Posts
It is very hard for me to spend 1200 on an engine then another 180 on mufflers. There is no way those mufflers could be worth 180. Don't get me wrong I'm not a DA basher, as a mater of fact I owne two DA engines. I have a hangar 9 extra 300 that I was going to put a DA 120 in, but with this EME for half the cost is very appealing to me.
probrodude is offline Find More Posts by probrodude
Old 11-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by probrodude View Post
It is very hard for me to spend 1200 on an engine then another 180 on mufflers. There is no way those mufflers could be worth 180. Don't get me wrong I'm not a DA basher, as a mater of fact I owne two DA engines. I have a hangar 9 extra 300 that I was going to put a DA 120 in, but with this EME for half the cost is very appealing to me.
If I had two EME120s I'd trade them for another DA120. Lots of ways to measure value.
MaceH is offline Find More Posts by MaceH
Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by joshuapaulguidry
United States, LA, Breaux Bridge
Joined Jan 2012
186 Posts
Here we go!!!!!
joshuapaulguidry is offline Find More Posts by joshuapaulguidry
Old 11-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
MaceH is offline Find More Posts by MaceH
Last edited by MaceH; 11-08-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,325 Posts
I do agree with you Mace but this thread isn't about that

The OP specifically stated he was previously a "two lettered American brand" person and he specifically asked for the thread not to turn into a brand vs brand discussion. Problem is he used the term "Relative Value" and that will probably excite some fans of the aforementioned 2 lettered brand - mention of relatives will probably get them thinking of their personal erotic experiences and therefore it is likely they will not be able to resist chiming in.

FWIW - I am also "anti chinese" f(especially for RC engines) and wherever there is a choice I do not purchase Chinese - however by far the majority of people I know who have had the EME 120 are very happy with them, a couple that have had problems have been sorted very efficiently.
aussiesteve is offline Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Last edited by aussiesteve; 11-08-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply