Old 03-12-2020, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by PhantomGhost
United States, NC, Wake Forest
Joined Mar 2020
2 Posts
Discussion
New Member with Large CNC Router for Foam Plugs & Molds

Hello,

I've been interested in aircraft since I can remember. I grew up about 45mi from Seymour Johnson AFB and used to see the fighter jets on training missions, very low to the ground...and fast every once in a while. Also, Crop dusters were common, and those pilots are absolutely nuts. I may be showing my age, but I had a Royal Air 40T trainer plane with the Futaba control when I was 12-13. It's here in my shop now haha.

Fast forward, one of my current interest is automated flight with surveillance, which is what brings me here. I'm looking to mill some plugs for aircraft and maybe this interests a member who could benefit from my services. I'm currently looking for projects to build my portfolio.

Check out the video using only 2lb density foam...I get a good finish and smooth to the touch.

youtube video

I have epoxy tooling paste as well, which is similar to bondo. Leaves a really good finish, but dulls the bit and is excessively dusty and stinky. I can supply plugs/prototypes unfinished as in the video, or they can be finished in a coating of your choice.

I have experience with building prepreg carbon fiber parts for an OEM auto supplier, and hope to be producing parts in the next few months. I have a 3D scanner handy. Maybe you have something in mind, don't hesitate to bounce ideas off of me. Scale models? Sure. My cutting envelope is 80"x60"x20". My business address is located in Raleigh, NC. You're more than welcome to stop by

thanks for reading

Ron
PhantomGhost is offline Find More Posts by PhantomGhost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-26-2020, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,167 Posts
Are you capable of cutting carbon fiber sheets. I need a few custom ribs and don't look forward to cutting them by hand.
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply