Old 12-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
So you fly toy planes??
United States, MS, Carson
Joined Dec 2010
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxcoupe View Post
It's harder than you think to come up with numbers. Only Hitec would know what the real numbers are. All I know is what I have personally seen. You have no idea what I know or who I've known to have problems. You have no numbers either as you sit there and deny any problems with the A9. Off the top of my head I know 5 people that own the A9 2 have lost 10's of thousands of dollars due to the A9 and have been highly talked about in these threads.

To put that into perspective out of all the people I came into contact with this past year that I fly with on a regular basis, which would be hundreds of people flying every different radio brand....I don't know 2 other people who lost a plane or planes due to their radio.

Pretty much just common sense the way I see it.
LX I never denied any problems. That is very much a twist of things. I know they had a some issues with the A9 no doubt. But some folks are here just to flame and you know this. Not saying you are but you know there are some.
YAKMAN76 is offline Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
a 1S lipo.

sorry, just had to do it.
Sorry, a 1S lipo is not a battery, it is a single cell. We must use correct terminology here so as not to get our toes stepped on!
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 12-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Sorry, a 1S lipo is not a battery, it is a single cell. We must use correct terminology here so as not to get our toes stepped on!

i was just messing with him, but i am curious on why it wouldn't be a battery. they are used in some micro park flyers. but i guess a battery technically would have to be 2 or more cells. so what would we have to call the single cell lipo's then? i think this might be a catch 22 senario.
jamesrxx951 is online now Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Mayberry
Poway, CA
Joined Mar 2006
798 Posts
Unfortunately everything I say here is used as a catalyst for the hatters to continue to stir the pot... it's just their nature I guess and it is unfortunate as the FG forums are unlike others in this sense. Hitec has responded to the problems and is confident that the V2.02 RX firmware has resolved the issues that some had experienced.

As far as numbers go... there are 10's of thousands of A9's in the marketplace.

I would kindly ask that those that are here just to discredit the radio to please refrain from continuing to contaminate this thread with their unneeded/wanted banter and let the thread get back to what it was meant for... to discuss the usage of the Aurora 9 radio.

Mike.
Mike Mayberry is offline Find More Posts by Mike Mayberry
Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
So you fly toy planes??
United States, MS, Carson
Joined Dec 2010
1,183 Posts
Thanks Mike!! Keep up the great work!!
YAKMAN76 is offline Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM View Post
oldrookie
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while oldrookie edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by CSpaced
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts
In an effort to get this thread back on track, I thought I would share a setup that I put together recently. I had posted this in another thread, but it seems appropriate to post it here. I have a 2m glider that I wanted to set up for night flying. This posed a few questions, being an electric glider a flight timer wouldn't really work as I can easily fly for a half hour. So how would I know when my battery was done? (short of landing every five minutes to check it). I also wanted to be able to play with the lights a little bit, so I installed them on a second ESC.

I made an adapter, so that the flight battery can power both the motor ESC and the lighting ESC. On the Optima 7, I ran a 3rd line from the flight battery into the receiver's SPC port, giving me actual pack voltage rather than ESC regulated voltage on my telemetry reading. This then allowed me to set a voltage alarm, so that I can fly in the dark without a timer, and when the pack voltage reaches a specific level my transmitter will start beeping indicating it is time to land. (plus I can glance at the backlit screen to read actual voltage).

I assigned the lighting ESC to a shoulder slide switch, so I can go from "off" to any level of brightness. I also programmed a mix so that I can activate the lights with my rudder stick (the sailplane is only rudder and elevator on the right stick), and I can strobe away. The slide on the side is primary to the rudder mix, so where ever the slide switch is set will be the minimum brightness, and the rudder stick lets me brighten it up, pulse it, what ever.

So now using my A9 I have the battery alarm so I don't have to worry about how long I have been flying, plus the dual esc's so I can play with the lights that are mixed in to both the shoulder slide and the rudder stick! My friend set his up the same way (video below) and it is a lot of fun to send them up until they are a dot, and then shut the lights off and see who turns them back on first . Plus it's great for freaking people out miles away with our "close encounter" strobing effects . It's also a relaxing end to the day after flying giant scale.

Night Light Setup (0 min 28 sec)

CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by canavanbob
CA
Joined May 2007
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrookie View Post
Mike...You are right on with your comment about our Aurora 9 thread spoilers.
Here is a list of those that participate the most, and contribute the least.

canavanbob....Did you guys know that Bob has a friend Jim Drew and uses XPS? Why is he anywhere?

Greg
I am here because I have two A9s and without the XPS module I would not be able to use either radio because the Hitec module and/or receivers I got were junk!

Besides, we like to hear the fanboys whine about having to listen to us.

If I didn't like the Hitec radio I wouldn't have bothered to fix the problem, maybe someone can solve the problems they are having with the XPS module.
canavanbob is offline Find More Posts by canavanbob
Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts
A cool ground test range video:

Hitec Aurora 9 Range Check Using Segway (8 min 37 sec)
Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts
This is a pretty cool onboard video of an easyglider flying over italy (using an A9)...

Ever dreamt you were flying? Featuring music from the Machinarium soundtrack by Tomas Dvorak (8 min 57 sec)
Old 12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts
And just to mix it up a bit, here's Justin Jee flying a Gaui X5 with his A9...

8 Year Old Justin Jee - Gaui X5 RC Heli Flying - 2010-08-28 (4 min 32 sec)
Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by Eganwp
Jesus saves!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2009
1,025 Posts
Thanks for the update Mike!
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Last edited by Eganwp; 02-13-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
i was just messing with him, but i am curious on why it wouldn't be a battery. they are used in some micro park flyers. but i guess a battery technically would have to be 2 or more cells. so what would we have to call the single cell lipo's then? i think this might be a catch 22 senario.
Kinda like motor and engine? We know the real definition of those two words but they're often used interchangeably. I've known far more people in various racing circles that use the term motor for what is up front under the hood rather than calling it the engine.

Back to the battery thing, you could refer to a single cell lipo as a single cell battery? Who really cares but it is fun to poke fun at people once in awhile if a reaction is to be expected.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer

Quick Reply