logo
Old 01-18-2019, 01:29 AM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
Hehe. It's going to be hard not to giggle next time someone complains about the cost of their 40% airplane...

I just ordered a new prop and spinner for my RV-8.. Total price including tax and shipping??

$4,815.56

Ouch.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-18-2019, 02:17 AM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts
Which?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
Hehe. It's going to be hard not to giggle next time someone complains about the cost of their 40% airplane...

I just ordered a new prop and spinner for my RV-8.. Total price including tax and shipping??

$4,815.56

Ouch.
Fixed pitch or constant speed? BTW: We have no pity for your wallet.....
Look at all the fun you get to have, you lucky dog!!! (What was the need for a new prop? Damaged or seeking performance?)
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 01-18-2019, 03:06 AM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
Fixed pitch. Catto 3-blade composite.

I'm looking for better performance in climb and braking over the Sensenich 2-blade.. Plus it being 18 pounds lighter, my CG moves back some (an issue in the RV-8), and it's quieter. I'm giving up a few knots in WOT top speed, but nobody really flies at that throttle anyway except for giggles..

I went fixed for 2 reasons.. Simplicity, and changing from a FP to a CS would put me back into Phase 1 flight test for a major change to the airplane.. I really didn't want that. Of course, once I get the new prop, I can pretty easily sell the old prop and spinner for about $2500..
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 08-06-2019, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by yakdriver
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
I've flown around 15 both fixed pitch and C/S RVs and built a Rv-7. Did the test flying on a RV-8 and an 8A. My 7 with a hot rodded IO-360 would cruise 205mph on 10gph. My friend's 8A is a bit faster both with the Hartzell scimitar blade porp. The Hartzell composite props are the way to go. Lighter and more efficient. So yes I like C/S props even have a MT on my Cub. That said the phase one is only 5 hrs so not a big deal but to change from fixed pitch to C/S will require a quite a bit of cowl re work. The spinners for those props are usually 13-14" dia and your F/P is probably 10-12". Well worth it in my opinion but big cost and a bit of work. The 8 is a great airplane and a lot of fun. I have a friend who is getting close to finishing his and I'll get to maiden another one. Have fun and be carefull.
yakdriver is offline Find More Posts by yakdriver

Quick Reply