logo
Old 12-23-2018, 03:14 AM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Mar 2010
1,720 Posts
Discussion
2019 ... 25% Tariffs on Chinese Toys/Hobbies.

Imports will be getting more expensive as in January 2019, Toys/Hobbies e.t.c are going to be hit with a 25% tariff.

This is the first time in recent memories I have seen a tariff being charged on toy/hobby items.

There has been discussion on rcgroups/rcuniverse, however, I didn't see anything on F/G so if there already a thread about this, please ignore.

more info
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...son-2018-09-21
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-23-2018, 07:17 AM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts
Yep.. and guess who will be paying that? The end consumer..
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 12-23-2018, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,867 Posts
So be it,if this brings back US manufacturing jobs at lease we will have the money to pay it.
Unemployment is down 3.5%,manufactures are screaming for help,paying more money to get workers.It's about time we level the playing field for manufactures.No one likes paying more for goods,but we can't go on as a nation of only service jobs.We get into another war with who ever, who are we going to buy our steel from.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 12-23-2018, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by Carter
Joined Dec 2018
15 Posts
The press beats up on Trump about this, but the bigger picture is that the higher tariffs are only a temporary part of a plan to lower ALL tariffs to, as was said, level the playing field.
In the end, I think all of the import prices will be lower as well as our own exports being less expensive for foreign countries.
Carter is offline Find More Posts by Carter
Old 12-23-2018, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,053 Posts
You mean there's a plan behind all this?

The indicators are that the boom economy is coming to a close. Trump opined during the campaign that the very low interest rates during the Obama years created a false economy...now he is criticizing the fed for trying to rein in the growth. And many US companies are gearing up for layoffs.

But believe what you will....tariffs are a good thing. As is a government shutdown, turnover of key staff, a declining stock market, subsidizing farmers because of the tariffs, and indictments of close allies.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 12-23-2018, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
So be it,if this brings back US manufacturing jobs at lease we will have the money to pay it.
Unemployment is down 3.5%,manufactures are screaming for help,paying more money to get workers.It's about time we level the playing field for manufactures.No one likes paying more for goods,but we can't go on as a nation of only service jobs.We get into another war with who ever, who are we going to buy our steel from.
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 12-23-2018, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,082 Posts
And regardless of what happens we will still be here debating oil brands, Jeti vs Futaba, and flying on the weekends.
dshriver is online now Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 12-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
The press beats up on Trump about this, but the bigger picture is that the higher tariffs are only a temporary part of a plan to lower ALL tariffs to, as was said, level the playing field.
In the end, I think all of the import prices will be lower as well as our own exports being less expensive for foreign countries.
Trouble is this doesn't fit the mold of economic study. Tariff games are a crap shoot where typically no one wins.

Economy is global these days and trying to manage it in a traditional macro sense doesn't work.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old 12-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
880 Posts
At least in Tucson, hobby shops are fewer, Membership is down....one club by half!
All happening well before Pres. Trump took office. Lets give tariffs a chance. I'd be glad
to see American companies get into the hobby industry again.
super rookie is online now Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 12-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by Dozer Blade
Yeah~ try the other left
Joined Apr 2008
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
You mean there's a plan behind all this?

The indicators are that the boom economy is coming to a close. Trump opined during the campaign that the very low interest rates during the Obama years created a false economy...now he is criticizing the fed for trying to rein in the growth. And many US companies are gearing up for layoffs.

But believe what you will....tariffs are a good thing. As is a government shutdown, turnover of key staff, a declining stock market, subsidizing farmers because of the tariffs, and indictments of close allies.
My family has farmed for more than 100 years. I don't like the tariff situation or being subsidized. The soybean market has lost more than $2/bushel since the tariff went into affect almost a year ago from $10/bushel. I can deal with the short term affects. It's the long term we should be more concerned about. If the Federal Reserve raises interest rates, were in for a wild ride. There will be blood in the streets.

Keep this in mind: The Chinese are THE largest population on earth. The production of grain results in the concentration of protein otherwise known as MEAT. The Chinese are an emerging third world country who have just recently discovered that they happen to like meat over rice. The average Chinese worker (building our planes for ex.) now enjoys comforts that most take for granted in this country. I doubt they want to go backwards now.

My sincere hope is that the Chinese government understands they need to play fair and change their selfish ideology about their own people's welfare.
Dozer Blade is offline Find More Posts by Dozer Blade
Old 12-23-2018, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by crazyjoe
co
Joined Jan 2006
984 Posts
1: inflation outpacing wage growth
2: companies are now looking at moving manufacturing of products shipped to the US to countries like Taiwan, Vietnam, etc. Products that are shipped to other countries will remain in China. One such company looking into this route is GoPro if you care to look it up.
3: You can remove all the environmental protection's you want. Manufacturing will not come back until you convince Americans to work for a dollar a day.
4: interest rates and tariffs starting to take its toll on the only industry's we have left, the building industry.
5: uncertainty and rising interest rates taking its toll on the market.
6: destabilizing foreign governments as well as our foreign policies are having a negative impact on the global economy
7: the euphoria of the tax cuts wearing off.

While I do agree we need to do something about the Chinese stealing our intellectual property. I don't think tariffs will fix that.

I'll take eight years of slow steady growth with low interest over the two-year Spike of this so-called great economy that is poised for a recession in the near future.

Save your money. Those were great right-wing talking points though.
crazyjoe is offline Find More Posts by crazyjoe
Old 12-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by 1bigben
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Nov 2008
716 Posts
In the industry I work in we buy products from China. They understand the tariff but still want the sale so they are eating the cost.
Time for the RC suppliers to remember who the customer is.
1bigben is offline Find More Posts by 1bigben
Old 12-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by crazyjoe
co
Joined Jan 2006
984 Posts
Futaba, smartfly, hitec, DA, A123's by hang time, and Tech Aero.

Rock solid
crazyjoe is offline Find More Posts by crazyjoe
Old 12-23-2018, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
Futaba, smartfly, hitec, DA, A123's by hang time, and Tech Aero.

Rock solid
I am not following your statement.

A123 cells are made in China since A123 Systems was acquired years back. Hitec and Futaba are Korean and Japanese companies, respectively, who have most of their products manufactured in China. DA, Tech Aero, SmartFly - yes, US made. Although many components are globally sourced.

As far as the concept that more people will enter the hobby if products were made in the US? No.... the hobby is shrinking because young kids simply don't have the same degree of emotional interest in airplanes as the baby boomers.

Don't count on many US companies popping up to invest in a small and declining industry with tight margins and a volatile economy and stock market.
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 12-23-2018, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by Carter
Joined Dec 2018
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
1: inflation outpacing wage growth
2: companies are now looking at moving manufacturing of products shipped to the US to countries like Taiwan, Vietnam, etc. Products that are shipped to other countries will remain in China. One such company looking into this route is GoPro if you care to look it up.
3: You can remove all the environmental protection's you want. Manufacturing will not come back until you convince Americans to work for a dollar a day.
4: interest rates and tariffs starting to take its toll on the only industry's we have left, the building industry.
5: uncertainty and rising interest rates taking its toll on the market.
6: destabilizing foreign governments as well as our foreign policies are having a negative impact on the global economy
7: the euphoria of the tax cuts wearing off.

While I do agree we need to do something about the Chinese stealing our intellectual property. I don't think tariffs will fix that.

I'll take eight years of slow steady growth with low interest over the two-year Spike of this so-called great economy that is poised for a recession in the near future.

Save your money. Those were great right-wing talking points though.

As opposed to what?... Left Wing talking points?
Carter is offline Find More Posts by Carter

Quick Reply