Old 05-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by scooby61
No Balsa Withstands my Wrath
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Jan 2009
103 Posts
Discussion
Issues with 3dhs 75" edge

Im starting a build of a 75" 3dhs edge 540 so far everything good until i test fit the rear stabilizer. When the fuse was built these two interlocking peices were allowed to separat before the glue cured resulting in it being impossible to get the stab seated straight. Normally when i encounter stuff like this i just fix it and go on but the location of this issue is very difficult to work with unless i pull a bunch of ultracoat off and do some fairly serious surgery. So my question is this it makes my stab about 3.5 /16ths of an inch off from being an even distance from the wing tube. Is this enough to affect in flight characteristics? Should i attempt to fix it? Or ask extreme flight to send another fuse?
scooby61 is offline Find More Posts by scooby61
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-19-2019, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,617 Posts
It will make a difference in flight,and surly when you use a lot of up and down elevator.For what we pay for ARF's now day's, I would want a new fuse,good luck there.
closetguy is online now Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 05-19-2019, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
It's Tougher in Alaska
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
239 Posts
I had a similar circumstance with my 75" edge. The plug in stab was a little bit off in alignment. In your case its looking like the slot width has widened and wont allow any wiggle room? I marked and taped my stab in place so when the epoxy cured it set in place.
You can send a picture to EF, and give them a call a bit later and let them look at your issue while you're on the phone with them. They should try and make it right somehow for you if you cannot fix it easily yourself. QA should have caught that??
AKNick is online now Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 05-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Joined Jan 2009
103 Posts
Ok they should be back from nall on monday thats where i bought it. Great kit good quality just a production defect. I will call them sucks that my build is at standstill got all the tedious hinging done except the rudder was just going to set up the fuse glad i test fit.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 PM
Joined Jan 2009
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNick View Post
I had a similar circumstance with my 75" edge. The plug in stab was a little bit off in alignment. In your case its looking like the slot width has widened and wont allow any wiggle room? I marked and taped my stab in place so when the epoxy cured it set in place.
You can send a picture to EF, and give them a call a bit later and let them look at your issue while you're on the phone with them. They should try and make it right somehow for you if you cannot fix it easily yourself. QA should have caught that??
Thats exactly what the problem is its bulged out on one side no play and a pretty large gap between the outer sheeting and the leading edge of the stab.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 PM
Joined Jan 2009
103 Posts
Pic with stab in
Old 05-20-2019, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by Jparagallo102
United States, NJ, Franklin
Joined Jan 2018
28 Posts
What If you were to hold a block of wood up against that spot and tap it gently... think maybe you could get it to break loose fall into place then hit it with some thin ca?
Jparagallo102 is online now Find More Posts by Jparagallo102
Old 05-20-2019, 11:37 PM
Joined Jan 2009
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jparagallo102 View Post
What If you were to hold a block of wood up against that spot and tap it gently... think maybe you could get it to break loose fall into place then hit it with some thin ca?
That spot is glued really solid in multiple directions i thought about trying to cut it loose with an exacto and tap it in but dont want try until EF gets back to me. Ive had to do stuff like that on cheaper lower end models before to get it right but i dont think i should have to rebuild such an integral structure on a new airframe of this caliber. Ive had several of their models and this is the first ive seen of issues from them. Im sure they will help me make it right. If they dont then ill tear it apart get it fixed right and go back to PAU or pilot rc models in the future.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:41 PM
Joined Jan 2009
103 Posts
From what i see my repair options are grind that structure down to get the clearance right and possibly weakening it. Or mod the stabilizer to get clearance which would probably be the easier repair but mostlikely result some ultracote damage to a new airframe.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:53 AM
Joined Jan 2009
103 Posts
Good customer service frome extreme flight! As i have always received from them. A new fuselage will be on its way to me today. Thanks EF
Old 05-22-2019, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by suds
indywestrc & viehercfliers
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Jul 2014
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby61 View Post
Good customer service from extreme flight! As i have always received from them. A new fuselage will be on its way to me today. Thanks EF
Top notch!
suds is offline Find More Posts by suds

Quick Reply