logo
Old 05-30-2019, 04:41 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,616 Posts
Rant
What's a wrecked empty airframe worth?

I recently purchased a giant sailplane no longer being manufactured for the last 5 or so years. Bumped into another guy who has the same airframe, only its busted up. He tells me he needs to make some room, and its just taking up space in his closet. Has a nice set of wing bags, but the gear block is wasted, canopy gone, busted glass fuse and nose section, damaged foam core wings but "easy to repair." Its a 5-hour drive one way to pick it up.
The ARF sold for $1000 new. I can use the wing bags, and spare parts sounded good to me so I offered to buy the wing bags for full price if he threw in the basket case airframe. He himmed and hawed, so I asked him to give me a number.
Apparently I offended him because now he's ghosting me lol!

I know whenever I have something like that I'm lucky if I can give it away. I thought I was being generous, but apparently I hurt this guys feelings. I guess he really doesn't need to make room after all, and is still attached to his crashed airframe.

What do you guys think something like that really worth? No servos, just an empty airframe missing a bunch of stuff you would have to fabricate from scratch to get in the air.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-30-2019, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by fly4fun
Canada, AB, Beaumont
Joined Mar 2006
99 Posts
Honestly a wrecked airframe is virtually worthless unless it contains parts that you know somebody else really needs. I would say hes dreaming hoping for $ from the deal, but everybody feels differently about their stuff. Either he takes your deal or doesnt, I will be curious to see what happens.
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Old 05-30-2019, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,195 Posts
Let him stew on it a while...if he's got any intelligence he will soon figure he's got something that's only worth anything to the right person . I think your offer was More than generous.... especially if you have to drive 5 hours.
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 05-30-2019, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,087 Posts
Sometimes a 'discontinued' airframe can be worth $$ just because it is discontinued and if you have one you want to have spare parts.....unfortunately in this case it sounds like the only thing of value are the wing bags, so your offer based on their value would be fair.....the fact that you have to drive 10 hours roundtrip adds additional costs you will incur, not to mention the 10 hours out of your life.

If he continues to ignore you I wouldn't lose any sleep over it
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 05-30-2019, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
825 Posts
Its just like all the junk cars sitting in someones yard, its been untouched for fifteen years, you offer them hundreds, but they want thousands. Go back by the same house fifteen years later car is still there only another junk car is sitting in front of it.
I think you made a very solid offer, I have tried to give away several wrecked planes but the people did not think the small pieces in the trash bag used to be a plane
Festivus is online now Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 05-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by i8dpeach
"Winter is Coming!!"
United States, ME, Bath
Joined Jan 2015
351 Posts
I would say if it's a kit built air frame (Carden, Dalton, Jtec) it's worth some money(depending on condition upwards of 1k, more or less). It also depends on who built it. You could expect to pay very good money for a busted up McCausey or Tuny build. The thing is some of these high end busted up foam core air frames will sit for years and the owner finally decides to move it. I don't think people are trying to make money off broken air frames and if they are it's painful work.

Composite aircraft require a certain skill set to fix but in decent shape 35% and bigger go for $400 and up depending on damage.

If it's a good brand modern arf with just the gear ripped out, it's worth a little bit, maybe $300 or so.

This is my .02 and just what I see around n' about.
i8dpeach is offline Find More Posts by i8dpeach
Old 05-30-2019, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
3,855 Posts
sailplanes are a different animal and without knowing more about it, it's really impossible to say. how old it is is somewhat meaningless - there are plenty of very old sailplanes that command multiples of their original cost. it's what it is that matters. who knows what it is worth, and to whom. you need to share a lot more information. and there are also guys in the sailplane world who can work miracles on broken airframes.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 05-30-2019, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,616 Posts
It's a 4.2m eflite Blanik. Here's the one I picked up-. Not exactly a European moldy. For what it is it's super cool to me- but not a competition model. I really don't need the parts but if they really are just taking up space I could give them a good home. Heck- I don't even need the wingbags. I can make some out of foiled insulation for $40.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 05-30-2019, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Joined Jan 2018
77 Posts
I remember as a Kid looking at Comic Books and seeing that certain Pennies could bring hundreds of dollars......I found a 1919 penny in my Piggy Bank I thought I was Rich....my Dad said a Penny is worth a Penny until you can find someone to give you more .......only you can say what’s it worth to you and shouldn’t matter what anyone else thinks......you have to make you Happy
Justwantafly is offline Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Old 05-31-2019, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by RMurf101
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Dec 2017
3 Posts
10 hours of driving plus an unknown amount of $$ for a trunk
full of worthless/broken crap?
Give it a pass.
RMurf101 is offline Find More Posts by RMurf101
Old 05-31-2019, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
3,855 Posts
that's the thing. it's not crap. it's a 4.2 meter scale sailplane. maybe needs some work, but very difficult to replace.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 05-31-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by marksextra
Once U go Yak, U never go back
pa
Joined Mar 2006
442 Posts
I wrecked plane? PLUS 10 hours of my life? ha! yeah....free isn't even free enough....
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Old 06-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Fully Sending It
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2008
2,792 Posts
Sailplanes are an entirely different world than powered aircraft. I sold a Hobie Hawk (google it) a handful of years ago that needed serious repairs for well more than double what it originally retailed for. The other one I had in near mint shape sold for multitudes more. Composite sailplanes with wrecked fuselages can be repaired with some basic knowledge of laying up fiberglass or carbon, and they are a hell of a lot less expensive to purchase and repair in damaged shape than forking over several thousand for a new one, let alone a discontinued model.

Some of these competition models put GS airplanes to shame for what they sell for, and they tend to hold onto their resale value.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old 06-05-2019, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by RMurf101
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Dec 2017
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
that's the thing. it's not crap. it's a 4.2 meter scale sailplane. maybe needs some work, but very difficult to replace.
Well...then go for it.
Everyone will have a different opinion as to it's value or lack of.
You're the only one to know if it's something you want to undertake.
I, personally, would not drive 10 hours for a wrecked airplane.
RMurf101 is offline Find More Posts by RMurf101
Last edited by RMurf101; 06-05-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Team TDRC Mgr.
Joined Jan 2006
8,255 Posts
It is worth what you will pay for it. You know what kind of work goes into it to repair it. Factor in that time for repair, too.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle

Quick Reply