logo
Old 06-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcz5785 View Post
I don’t know if your kidding but here it is.
With just a quick look in my art program the right wing T/E has a nice bow to it, see pic. If the red line was correct it would have a left roll.
If the root and the tip are correct (yellow line) then the center is up, this would create a right roll.
acerc is online now Find More Posts by acerc
Last edited by acerc; 06-05-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,498 Posts
Ace, that is what I am seeing also but as I indicated earlier, my images are not very good out here in gods country.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by xcz5785
United States, IL, Palatine
Joined Aug 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Sadly I am out in the wilderness with only a phone so I canít really expand the photos. At a quick glance it looks like the right wing has more washout than the left but frankly the wing looks far better than I expected for 60 clicks of trim. Have you had a chance to check the wing roots and tips and even mid span for equal incidence side to side?
Iím waiting for a special battery Batteries Plus didnít have. Looks like a micro C. Should be here Thursday.
xcz5785 is offline Find More Posts by xcz5785
Old 06-05-2019, 10:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
With just a quick look in my art program the right wing T/E has a nice bow to it, see pic. If the red line was correct it would have a left roll.
If the root and the tip are correct (yellow line) then the center is up, this would create a right roll.
About in the center of the right wing? Looks like the T.E turns down. That would give a left roll, which is counter to the what is happening. That’s what I see anyway. I did just get new glasses so....
You did give me a good idea and hit the T.E. with my lazer level. A nice straight thin line.
Tomorrow though. 4:45am comes early.

I’ve never been so excited to get a battery in the mail.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
350 Posts
I'm seeing a right wing issue as well. Put a yard stick down the leading and trailing edges while you wait on a battery and see what it says.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 06-07-2019, 04:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
41 Posts
The Hanger 9 Angle Pro is garage. I kept getting different numbers. I brought a calibrated one from work using the Angle Pro long bar. I measured three places from each tip inward, not on the ailerons. I used an internal horizontal surface as my datum. The measurements are as follows left wing to right wing. They are repeatable to within .3
Negative 1.5, 2.4, 2.4, FUS, 2.0, 1.4, positive .3
I checked the split elevator and they are the same degree exactly. So I have a downward twist on the right causing it to drop.
I don’t think there is anything I can do about the twist, I tried don’t know if I could get it to stay. Should I try to drop the root TE a bit on that side? A bit of left rudder trim? Or just live with it? I’m not warm and fuzzy about slicing the sheeting on the bottom. Maybe.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 06-07-2019, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,498 Posts
Overall the easiest fix is just to fly it the way it is if it behaves itself in the air. If trim changes horribly with airspeed or there are other undesired affects then you may have to take more drastic measures. The easiest mechanical fix is to rotate the whole wing slightly but you will probably notice more trim change with airspeed change than just carrying a bunch of trim in ailerons. Is this an ARF? Maybe you could buy just a new wing panel if you know which one is bad. Don’t try to trim with rudder as you don’t want undesired yaw.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Last edited by Truckracer; 06-07-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Overall the easiest fix is just to fly it the way it is if it behaves itself in the air. If trim changes horribly with airspeed or there are other undesired affects then you may have to take more drastic measures. The easiest mechanical fix is to rotate the whole wing slightly but you will probably notice more trim change with airspeed change than just carrying a bunch of trim in ailerons. Is this an ARF? Maybe you could buy just a new wing panel if you know which one is bad. Donít try to trim with rudder as you donít want undesired yaw.
Itís a Phoenix Spitfire 60 ARF. Iím overall happy with it for the price. The sheeting on the wings are not the best. The person sheeting it didnít take care not to warp it. Iíll just live with it. It seemed to fly fine with the trim as is. Next time Iíll check everything for square.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by jbeech
Joined Nov 2013
38 Posts
An alternative is to add a small trim tab to the aileron. Don't poo-poo the idea because it's common practice in full scale aviation. In fact, my Bonanza has one. Remember, only God is perfect! The rest of us? We're doing the best we can.

Take a Coke can, snip out a small piece and flatten. Next, attach to the trailing edge of an aileron. Yes, you'll have to experiment with how much of a bend to put in it as well as how large to make it but this is, after all, a hobby! Anyway, like I said, I've seen lots of full scale aircraft other than mine with trim tabs attached to the trailing edges of control surfaces. Not unusual in the least.
jbeech is offline Find More Posts by jbeech
Old 06-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
An alternative is to add a small trim tab to the aileron. Don't poo-poo the idea because it's common practice in full scale aviation. In fact, my Bonanza has one. Remember, only God is perfect! The rest of us? We're doing the best we can.

Take a Coke can, snip out a small piece and flatten. Next, attach to the trailing edge of an aileron. Yes, you'll have to experiment with how much of a bend to put in it as well as how large to make it but this is, after all, a hobby! Anyway, like I said, I've seen lots of full scale aircraft other than mine with trim tabs attached to the trailing edges of control surfaces. Not unusual in the least.
That sounds like a good idea. Iíll give it a try.

Quick Reply