Old 06-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Magenta
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Jun 2011
148 Posts
Discussion
Ball link set up between carburetor arm and throttle servo

Hey guys ,

What are you using as ball link and rod for your carburetor arm to the throttle servo for a 120 cc size motor ?? I don’t think I can use a 440 size ball link because that would rub against the muffler . Thx.
Magenta is offline Find More Posts by Magenta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
3,855 Posts
Hi you might specify what engine as guys who own the engine can help you. If a DA or DLE 120 I use a 4/40 ball on either one. I believe on the DA the ball goes inside the arm and you have to use a short bolt. Do not use a ball link that has a standoff.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 06-11-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Joined Jun 2011
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Hi you might specify what engine as guys who own the engine can help you. If a DA or DLE 120 I use a 4/40 ball on either one. I believe on the DA the ball goes inside the arm and you have to use a short bolt. Do not use a ball link that has a standoff.
Hello it’s a D120. Thank you for responding I’ve always used those beveled standoffs with a ball link that goes in between the ball link and the arm , do you think I could use the ball link directly on the arm without the standoffs ? Also do you have a link to the ball link u use ? Thanks again for taking the time
Old 06-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
977 Posts
I like to use these Sullivan aluminum quick disconnect ball links on the throttle arm.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?I=LXYCH3&P=7
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 06-11-2019, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by dusturbd
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2015
688 Posts
I have used 2-56 ball links on all my throttles they are small and I have never had 1 fail
dusturbd is offline Find More Posts by dusturbd
Old 06-11-2019, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by Harold Smith
United States, TX, Chandler
Joined Dec 2009
577 Posts
I use 4-40 ball links and don't use the little beveled piece with no problems.---Smitty
Harold Smith is offline Find More Posts by Harold Smith
Old 06-11-2019, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
3,855 Posts
there's nothing wrong with a 2/56 over short distances. the DA 120 arm is tapped for a 4/40 bolt, (the 70 is 2/56) so you could use a 2/56 with a 4/40 bolt, or a 4/40 and 4/40. yes, you can put the ball directly on the throttle arm. I think mine either has a lock nut or a regular 4/40 bolt, I don't remember, but it does have to be thin so as not to hit the muffler. you can Dremel off any unneeded length of bolt. hope this helps. I use the Chinese or Dubro ball links, both work fine.

RCA...i'm going to try the Sullivan connection in the future.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 06-11-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Joined Jan 2006
977 Posts
FGNewbie, I have had a couple of those super tight space applications like you show in your photo. They are no fun.
Something else that can help give just enough extra clearance is to use a low profile buttonhead screw instead of the standard full socket head cap screw.

Also, the miniature 2-56 or 4-40 locknuts are helpful. Nelson used to offer them in brass but most recently I believe that I got them from Microfasteners in aluminum. They can provide a little extra clearance on the opposite side of the throttle arm when the regular 2-56 or 4-40 locknuts are just a bit too large.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Joined Jun 2011
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
FGNewbie, I have had a couple of those super tight space applications like you show in your photo. They are no fun.
Something else that can help give just enough extra clearance is to use a low profile buttonhead screw instead of the standard full socket head cap screw.

Also, the miniature 2-56 or 4-40 locknuts are helpful. Nelson used to offer them in brass but most recently I believe that I got them from Microfasteners in aluminum. They can provide a little extra clearance on the opposite side of the throttle arm when the regular 2-56 or 4-40 locknuts are just a bit too large.
Thanks for the feedback I got some miniature locknuts
Old 06-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Feb 2006
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post

Bingo! That made the biggest difference but the small profile locknuts are occasionally useful as well. When I use those, I generally cut the screw flush, or close to it, with the locknut.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 06-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Joined Jan 2006
977 Posts
Old 06-13-2019, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
399 Posts
You don't have to use ball-links on everything. A good quality clevis works fine in many small areas where a ball-link won't clear.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant

Quick Reply