logo
Old 01-27-2021, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by ScratchBuilder
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2021
14 Posts
Discussion
Different Levels of Scale

I'm new to building scale models. Before you tell me to start with an LT-40, some background. I've been flying since 1998. I like to build kits and have recently started plans building and scratch building. I fly ARFs too, but I enjoy a stick build more.

In the past, a Decathlon, J3 Cub or Extra 300L was built and covered with monokote, with no thought given to a cockpit or other scale details. It was all about flying the plane.

Attitudes and priorities change as we age. I want more of a challenge. I have several NIB kits that I'd love to "scale out" but they don't exactly have scale lines. Bud Nosen P-51 and a Dynaflite Chipmunk to name a few. Neither of these planes is considered 'worthy' of adding those scale details too, because as you all know the Nosen P-51 has a nearly flat bottom wing and the lines are wrong. Same with the Dynaflite Chipmunk.

The Chipmunk box says "Fun Scale"

So, can the more experienced modelers out there help me with some definition?

What IS Fun Scale?
Can a Fun Scale model be made to look more scale?

What other types of scale exist? What would that be called? Master Scale? Contest Scale? Stand off Scale?
ScratchBuilder is offline Find More Posts by ScratchBuilder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-28-2021, 12:23 AM
Find More Posts by Dowmer
Scale Warbird Nut
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2013
32 Posts
If you are not competing in a scale contest then it doesn’t matter. You can scale most any plane out to you liking. Scale building is a rabbit hole. Once you start down it’s hard to get out...lol. What’s great about modeling is you can pick any level of detail that makes you happy, and remember, a truly scale project is never finished, you just stop working on it.
Dowmer is offline Find More Posts by Dowmer
Old 01-28-2021, 12:30 AM
Find More Posts by ScratchBuilder
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2021
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowmer View Post
If you are not competing in a scale contest then it doesn’t matter. You can scale most any plane out to you liking. Scale building is a rabbit hole. Once you start down it’s hard to get out...lol. What’s great about modeling is you can pick any level of detail that makes you happy, and remember, a truly scale project is never finished, you just stop working on it.
I understand that.

What would it be called if you were competing in a scale contest?
ScratchBuilder is offline Find More Posts by ScratchBuilder
Old 01-28-2021, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by William_Burkert
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Oct 2013
1,020 Posts
I used to compete in ‘stand-off’ scale where judges weren’t allowed to get too close.
William_Burkert is offline Find More Posts by William_Burkert
Old 01-28-2021, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by s3nfo
United States, AZ, San Tan Valley
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
For Scale Masters it's the Pro-Am class. Static judging is a "yes" or "no" proposition and you get 5 points for looking like the scale picture you provide. Color is judged, but you don't have to provide color chips for comparison, it's just basically "does the airplane look like the provided picture". Not the correct airfoil, not a problem, dimensions not quite right, tail feathers a little too big to increase flyability, not a problem.
s3nfo is offline Find More Posts by s3nfo
Old 02-02-2021, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by carlgrover
Joined Jan 2015
69 Posts
Fun scale: you provide a picture that proves the model you are competing with is some semblance of the full scale plane. That buys you 5 points in a contest. Your Dynaflite Chippie or the Nosen P51 are golden here.

Stand off scale: full documentation package required and judged at 15' away.

Expert scale: same thing as stand off only you have moved up from stand off scale. The top 3 or 4 in expert scale can move on to the masters if the contest is a scale masters qualifier.

Designer scale: the judges can get nose to nose with the plane. We're talking the best of the best here. This is Dave Platt territory.

It's been awhile but I think there is also an expert fun scale and a first time fun scale class for the guy who has never competed. It all depends on the contest, of course.

You can look it all up in the AMA competition rule book.

Carl
carlgrover is offline Find More Posts by carlgrover
Old 02-04-2021, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by s3nfo
United States, AZ, San Tan Valley
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
To correct Carl's post just a little, there is no class called "Stand-Off Scale", AMA has the Fun Scale and Sport Scale class where Static Judging is relaxed. For Scale Masters competition it's the Pro-Am classes (Pro-AM Pro and Pro-Am Sportsman) that have relaxed Static Judging. rules.

You can download both the AMA and the Scale Masters competition regs if you are thinking of competing, or just want to look at the competition static definitions for your build.
s3nfo is offline Find More Posts by s3nfo
Old 02-04-2021, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by Philkoury
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Feb 2007
533 Posts
Bomber Field is planning a Scale extravaganza covering the AMA, Scale Masters, and Top Gun scale classes for October. Ed Claymon has posted several pages of information regarding scale competition in an effort to entice more participation in scale events.

https://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum...TID=31288&PN=1
Philkoury is offline Find More Posts by Philkoury
Old 02-04-2021, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,042 Posts

Pick an easy to fly and expendable subject..... P47.....Cessna 150 aerobat.....T28

I'm not a scale building professional but doing your homework and searching
for just the right bird, reliable equipment and so on seems a worth while pursuit.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 05-20-2021, 12:59 AM
Find More Posts by CHAD VEICH
ARIZONA
Joined May 2007
56 Posts
You would probably be very surprised at just how well you could do with the Dynaflite Chipmunk if you simply added a bit of detail and a nice finish. With a bit more work to bring it into a little bit better outline it could probably do very well at a Scale Masters type event. Of course you may have as much time invested in it as you would in building a more scale Chippie from plans but if you enjoy building what does that matter? As long as you build the model yourself it can be flown in any category including "expert".
CHAD VEICH is offline Find More Posts by CHAD VEICH

Quick Reply