logo
Old 01-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by RICHMATH
FLYEMBIG
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Heads up!...The ROLLING Chicken Stick Grip #3 is back in stock. I have it in black and a very nice bright red. The red grip is a little brighter red then the one in the picture, just be aware of that if you order the red. Thanks for your patience while I was getting this batch together.

OK everyone, If you have purchased or are thinking about purchasing one of the ROLLING Chicken Sticks, please read on…

In the video I said to place the Chicken Stick roller on the prop about a third of the distance in from the tip of the prop. In reality you probably should stay a little closer to the tip of the prop. If you look at the end of the video where I spin the prop,(time 5.50) notice how close I am to the end of the prop. I am only a few inches from the tip of the prop. When you hand flip a prop you usually take a pretty good bite on it by going in kind of deep, but with the RCS you don’t want to go in very deep. Please take a little time and see where it feels right for you on your engine and prop.

When you get your RCS don’t be a stubborn head and just think you can just start flipping you prop without doing what the instructions say. You need to practice the right technique so the Starting Stick will work correctly for you. It takes a little conscious practice to keep the roller going in a straight line down the edge of the prop all the way off the tip of the prop. But this is the way you have to use the RCS. It is very important to do this correctly. After you practice a few times, look at the roller. If the marks on the roller vinyl are slanted towards the top and bottom of the roller then you are not keeping the roller straight going down the prop. The marks on the roller vinyl should be straight.

I thank all of those that have purchased the RCS and please let me know if you are having any problems.

One other thing, if your thinking of getting a Chicken Stick now and another in the future, you might want to get them both now. I will be raising the price soon.

Now gentlemen…start your engines! And don’t forget to enter the Flying Giants contest to win a free ROLLING Chicken Stick…you can’t win if you don’t enter!

Richard
RICHMATH is offline Find More Posts by RICHMATH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-29-2017, 11:23 PM
Find More Posts by ktm fanatic
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2016
117 Posts
Used mine for the first time yesterday. Worked awesome starting my GP 123.
ktm fanatic is offline Find More Posts by ktm fanatic
Old 01-30-2017, 09:14 AM
FLYEMBIG
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm fanatic View Post
Used mine for the first time yesterday. Worked awesome starting my GP 123.
Glad to hear that ...thanks for the post..

Richard
Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by frank99
United States, AR, Sheridan
Joined Oct 2009
4,069 Posts
Have tried to PM you, 4 times, with no luck, I guess my , messages is broke
frank99 is offline Find More Posts by frank99
Old 02-17-2017, 08:36 PM
FLYEMBIG
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank99 View Post
Have tried to PM you, 4 times, with no luck, I guess my , messages is broke
Hi Frank,
What can I do for you?

Richard
Old 03-05-2017, 08:59 PM
FLYEMBIG
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Got an order with this message attached....

"I'm looking forward to these sticks - one of my big twin gasser just
fired back and smashed my fingers pretty hard a few days ago. I'll never
touch the prop again on this beast directly with my hand "

Makes my day to know this will never happen to him again!

Richard
Old 01-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by randomguy
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Sep 2018
76 Posts
Hand propping technique

Just found this thread. Maybe a bit late but I'd like to suggest one additional tip for starting gassers that's common practice for hand propping full scale airplanes (not that hand propping is common practice) but I haven't seen used or discussed in the modeling world. That is, swinging your body away from the prop as you follow through on the flip. It requires flipping as much with the legs as with the wrist.

Here's a quick 11-second example video:
Airplane Hand Propping Demonstration (0 min 11 sec)
. The mechanics are different for models being lower to the ground, but the idea is the same.

I do this with every flip and find it works best with the prop mounted at 1:00 so my momentum can be horizontal, off to the side, rather than down towards the ground. By the time the engine catches and gets up to speed, I'm 2 feet in front and to the side of the prop, with my body momentum carrying me away from it. If anything were to ever happen to cause the plane to lurch forward, the plane would have to chase me down to get me.

It's less ergonomic than just standing over the prop and takes a little more effort, but it's huge peace of mind knowing that I'm literally two steps ahead of (and beside) the airplane if someday it decides to startle me.
randomguy is offline Find More Posts by randomguy
Old 01-04-2019, 03:33 PM
FLYEMBIG
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy View Post
Just found this thread. Maybe a bit late but I'd like to suggest one additional tip for starting gassers that's common practice for hand propping full scale airplanes (not that hand propping is common practice) but I haven't seen used or discussed in the modeling world. That is, swinging your body away from the prop as you follow through on the flip. It requires flipping as much with the legs as with the wrist.

Here's a quick 11-second example video: https://youtu.be/b2XXWj6cAGQ. The mechanics are different for models being lower to the ground, but the idea is the same.

I do this with every flip and find it works best with the prop mounted at 1:00 so my momentum can be horizontal, off to the side, rather than down towards the ground. By the time the engine catches and gets up to speed, I'm 2 feet in front and to the side of the prop, with my body momentum carrying me away from it. If anything were to ever happen to cause the plane to lurch forward, the plane would have to chase me down to get me.

It's less ergonomic than just standing over the prop and takes a little more effort, but it's huge peace of mind knowing that I'm literally two steps ahead of (and beside) the airplane if someday it decides to startle me.

I think if you gotta use both hands to spin your prop you might be at the wrong flying field. The way to tell is if there is a full size person sitting in your plane.... we are talking RC here right???
Old 01-05-2019, 01:59 AM
Find More Posts by randomguy
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Sep 2018
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHMATH View Post
I think if you gotta use both hands to spin your prop you might be at the wrong flying field. The way to tell is if there is a full size person sitting in your plane.... we are talking RC here right???
Hence my comment The mechanics are different for models ... but the idea is the same.

I'm just amazed at how many people I see standing flat footed in front of the prop as they flip it.

Or to your point, maybe I'm just extremely vertically challenged and I need all the leverage I can get. Yup, that might be it!
randomguy is offline Find More Posts by randomguy
Last edited by randomguy; 01-05-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:24 AM
Find More Posts by stickbanger
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined May 2014
254 Posts
I have seen too many times where pilots with an engine that is difficult to start tend to flip flip flip flip fast as possible find themselves with an engine that starts putting their fingers right back into the spinning prop. One should always flip pause flip pause flip pause.
stickbanger is offline Find More Posts by stickbanger

Quick Reply