logo
Old 06-16-2016, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Raleighcopter
Joined Feb 2016
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude07 View Post
You trying to start a fight by calling NC State UNC? Just yanking your chain.

Dorthea Dix is a city park behind the Farmer's Market in Raleigh. Dix is accessible via Western Blvd. There is no formal flying club at the site. Just a bunch of people who fly there. There are model rockets being flown in the same space, DLG pilots, people walking and playing in the same area, etc... I went out there once and decided to never go back. There was no established pattern, cliches/groups of friends stood together and flew their way and couldn't care about anyone else. I watched one guy put his suped up Parkzone Spitfire on the road behind the cars and pilots, take off on the road and shoot out between the trees and pilots into the field. A DLG pilot was out in the middle of field before anyone showed up and no one respected him, they buzzed him and drove him off the field. Watching all this I decided the safest thing to do was for me to pack up and watch the insanity. I was also surprised to see two local hobby shops show up in logo'ed cars and trailers and partake in the insanity.

My advice to flying at Dix is: fly at your own risk.
Being a USF grad it doesn't make a difference to me, although i have a sister who is a prof at nc and 2 nephews who are grads.

It is free form, but not many people there. Never seen people launch from the street.
Raleighcopter is offline Find More Posts by Raleighcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by rcdude07
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Feb 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighcopter View Post
Being a USF grad it doesn't make a difference to me, although i have a sister who is a prof at nc and 2 nephews who are grads.

It is free form, but not many people there. Never seen people launch from the street.

No worries, just know that calling one NC school the other around here will start WW III with some people. I was there in the fall on a Saturday, so that was probably my first mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewiek308 View Post
Bill,
I know Kent so ill message him. thanks for the advice!

Looks like Dix park is a no go haha I don't want anything to do with that. thanks for the input!
If you are close to Holly Spring/Fuquay Varina area there's a new electric only club in Holly Springs that flies at Suggs Farm Park. Dues are $20 for the year.
rcdude07 is offline Find More Posts by rcdude07
Old 06-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by Raleighcopter
Joined Feb 2016
92 Posts
I'm sure there are idiots at dix, but its a big park and if you time it right, its empty.
Raleighcopter is offline Find More Posts by Raleighcopter