logo
Old 08-24-2019, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by Jaketab
Escape From Gravity!
United States, WV, Charleston
Joined Aug 2007
754 Posts
Short video clip of the take off, but you have to forward to 10:27. Otherwise some great video of Wally's Squadron in Summersville, WV.

Wallys Squadron 2019 (20 min 11 sec)
Jaketab is offline Find More Posts by Jaketab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-31-2019, 06:17 PM
Escape From Gravity!
Joined Aug 2007
754 Posts
I had a lucky set back today with the landing gear.
For the last several flights the gear was stalling and not fully retracting on one side. It would stop when it was about 4/5 up. Toggling the gear switch would make the gear retract into position. There was no problem with gear down. I thought maybe it was the wind buffeting the gear and causing it to amp out.

With the plane in my yard today, I lubed the gear and then test cycled. The left side stalled completely at 4/5 going up. The motor was trying to work but the gear leg would not cycle up or down. Lucky me. The best I can see without removing the unit completely is the screw worm gear coming out of the electric motor has stripped threads in the same spot. If you enlarge the picture you can see the spot where the gear threads are stripped. Hoping I can send the gear back to the manufacturer for an examination and repair.

I have no way of knowing if the electric gear motors are capable of handling the 6.5" wheels which are quite heavy. Sierra Giant Scale does not build the their gear with electric. Its my understanding the motors were supplied to Sierra by CARF. Hoping some of you other builders can finish up and give some feedback.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by yakdriver
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
Jake, When I received mine it didn't look like there was much if any lubricant on the threads or anywhere else. I lightly greased everything up with white grease when I got them before I ran them. You might have had a burr on the thread that started things but hard to tell. I have Robart electrics on my Zero and they have worked great for 5 years. I'm going to try and get mine flying before winter sets in.
yakdriver is offline Find More Posts by yakdriver
Old 09-02-2019, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by emessys
United States, NY, Kings County
Joined Jan 2006
1,103 Posts
There was a discussion a few years back about electric gear stalling on GSWarbirds@yahoo.com.

The moderator,Andrew Benjamin, was pretty knowledgeable about the fixes.

You might want to contact him by joining the group at Yahoo and addressing your problem to him for any advice he can give you.

FWIW
Ira
emessys is offline Find More Posts by emessys
Old 09-02-2019, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by Philkoury
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Feb 2007
605 Posts
Shouldn't the jack screw have acme threads?
Philkoury is offline Find More Posts by Philkoury
Old 09-03-2019, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Feb 2016
456 Posts
I was going to ask the same question about grease. I thought the Comp Arf manual said to heavilly grease all moving parts with white grease from a spray can. I'm not saying that lack of grease was the cause for your threads to be stripped, but maybe it was a contributing factor. I don't see any grease on those threads, maybe they were lubricated but they do look kind of shiny in your picture.
Renegadeflyer is offline Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
Old 09-03-2019, 09:54 PM
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
I have a tube of white grease and made sure there was plenty of grease on everything before I even ran the gear. There was no visible lube on mine at all.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by darrenuae
Joined Sep 2019
1 Posts
Hello all

Is anyone using the Carf cockpit or is there other options available? Does the plane look ok without?

Are the light lense covers part of the kit or a they part of the light kit?
darrenuae is offline Find More Posts by darrenuae
Old 09-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
Has light lenses in the kit. I bit the bullet and ordered a cockpit. A lot of money but it is just a big hole without it. I also need to find a pilot that looks like me. I never wore a flight suit just normal clothes and a Dave Clark headset.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Feb 2016
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdriver View Post
Has light lenses in the kit. I bit the bullet and ordered a cockpit. A lot of money but it is just a big hole without it. I also need to find a pilot that looks like me. I never wore a flight suit just normal clothes and a Dave Clark headset.
That's good to know that the lenses are installed. I wasn't sure about that. I have the light set already from UniLight (spelling?). I also have the retracts in hand, but am waiting for the airframe. As soon as the airframe lands, I will order the cockpit too. Let us know what you find for a pilot!
Renegadeflyer is offline Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
Old 09-07-2019, 05:50 PM
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
Took it out to the club fly in today. First time I have had it all assembled. Looks impressive.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Escape From Gravity!
Joined Aug 2007
754 Posts
Great news on my damaged retracts. I got the replaced electric motor back from Sierra Giant Scale today. Great service from Darrell at Sierra. Only 1 week turnaround. CARF stood behind the repair. I can only guess that something foreign attached to the pinion gear threads and caused the damage.

One other problem has surfaced, but not critical.
The retract controller has 3 channels. See picture.
Two are for the back wheels and the middle channel for the front or tail wheel. One of the channels has ceased to function. I can still use the retracts by plugging one of the power leads into the middle channel.
My fear is the controller may at some point fail completely.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:28 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Did the Controller come with the Gear/ from Carf? If so id get in touch and see what they can do, I would feel a little uneasy with a channel loos as well.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 09-16-2019, 09:43 AM
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
Jake, I would be interested what they say also. My Robart controller has worked perfectly on my Zero and I think it will work with this gear.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
Got my cockpit kit today. Is it nice, yes it's OK. Is it worth $1000 a big no. Parts are not glued on well so I will have to go through and re enforce about half of it. I thought stuff like the throttle quadrants could be more scale. Instrument panels look kind of generic. So all in all I should have built my own. Quite dissapointed in it.

Quick Reply