Old 05-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by robertp17
United States, MD, Warwick
Joined Sep 2007
1,407 Posts
Re: Who here flys Ultralights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec taylor View Post
robertp17. i bought a rally" big lifter" in 1985. it was 2 place , side by side powered with a rotax 503. lots of cables and top speed of 45 mph. then got a aussie "thruster" 2 seater. in 1995 i built a "kitfox mk 4 which i have done 890 hrs. rotax 912. in new zealand we heard you were having problems with the ultralights but we dont know the reason why. could you give us some background please. most things are allowed to fly here as long they are airworthy. we are known as "recreational aircraft association of new zealand"raanz. org. nz alex
Ok back to your regularly schuduled program... Yes we had several of the big lifters and then i think they came out with a better version with a bigger wing more power and counter balanced tail surfaces and it flew soooooo much better. We had a guy order a rally sport that I saw a video of a guy doing rolls and loops with it but we never did. It even had winglets on it. Does anyone remember in the early 80's when there was an ultralight that you shifted your weight to fly it? More of a hang glider with an engine. Now that I think about it I think the big lifter was the "improved" version that you had Alec
robertp17 is offline Find More Posts by robertp17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

Robert, I think that was this one:

Shooting An Easy Riser Ultralight Out of the Sky (4 min 18 sec)
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
50, The funny part of this whole thing is that the stuff your sick of, we are to.
Why is it that people have the need to play motors, or planes or anything off each other?
Do you know how sick everyone is of the bickering about motors and such we see?

If you really look at of the threads that were modded you will find that most of the comments or remarks are unsubstantriated. And we simply cannot allow rumors to spread. If you look closely, you will see that people with real questions (good or bad) and people that give real answers (good or Bad) that are factual answers that have the data to back the information posted, will remain up. Heck, I bet over 99% of the posts on this site remain up. I still believe that our editing/delete rate is WAY below .5%.

Also, please take into account the fact that posts that get modded are ones that are brought to our attention. We usually get 3 - 5 "lame post" notices and in this threads case I received 3 PM's requesting the needless bickering be removed, after review and several read throughs I decided that indeed the posts were not needed and removed them. This is a hard decision, mainly because you can never make everyone happy. One guy is upset we deleted the posts, one guy is upset they remained.
Its a hard decision, but we try to always make sure our actions favor the entire community, not just the interests of one member.

Look forward to seeing you guys at one of the Huckfests. A good weekend of hanging out,and good times is what we all need.
Well said...... Its not that big of a deal. Just stick to the title of the thread and although we all have opinions we need to respect others as well. Why waste time argueing with someone you cant hit . I was one of the ones who called it out to sleepy about a lame post because im trying to read and enjoy this thread that is titled " Who here flys Ultralights " and for two whole pages I have to put up with two people slamming each other and trying to outdo each other and both trying to get the last word in. Its immature and knowone wants to see it. Just remember, " never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down and beat you with experience"
Old 05-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
That was pretty good. Looks like a lot of work. He was moving around alot.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertp17 View Post
Just remember, " never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down and beat you with experience"
I sure hope you did not just call me an idiot.... That's not FG style there....
Think about this... you came onto a thread I started and maybe it had BS in it, you chose to read through it! Calling me an idiot and you are not smart enough to hit the back button to get out of the thread that annoys you. It's like changing the channel if you don't like it. Hmmm..... So from now on, I'd really appreciate it if you would not call me an idiot, got it? I am in touch with people who actually fly these things thanks to a reader of the thread. He and I will meet up and go over the thought of ultra light flying.... He's been quite helpful. Thanks......
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 05-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by 3Dreaming
Noble, IL USA
Joined Sep 2006
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinX View Post
I hate it when people chime in negative comments with NO knowledge of the questions or answers....

AL, that was NOT directed at you
If that was directed at me I was not trying to be negative. I was just trying to add a word of caution because of the recent changes in regulations. While I have not flown the aircraft you mentioned I do have some knowledge of fat ultralights, ELSA's, and SLSA's. I am a dealer and owner of the best selling SLSA on the market in the US. I have trained Sport Pilots, and Private Pilots in an Light Sport Aircraft. I have also helped customers and Friends with converting fat ultralights into ELSA's
If you buy a Challenger I've heard they are nice flying airplane, but please have it checked over closely. Any of the of the ultralights that use a steel bolt through aluminum tubing have some corrosion problems with age. My Friend with the Challenger rebuilt it, and found bolts that had lost over 50% of their diameter inside the tubing. There has also been some wing folding accidents due to this corrosion. I hope this has been more helpful. If you want you can check out my website www.flymyct.com . Tom Baker
3Dreaming is offline Find More Posts by 3Dreaming
Old 05-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

Tom I like those CTs, the first time I saw one I thought it was an egg on a tripod but the interior and fit and finish seems much, much better than most sport planes out there.
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Old 05-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Noble, IL USA
Joined Sep 2006
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post
While Ryan is correct on m ost points he is not quite right about being able to land at your home field. Most Edge 540's are Experimental Exhibition. There is a rather large area around your home airport you are allowed to fly, include land. If you want to go outside that area you have to notify, just notify not get permission your local FSDO. Most Edge owners fax their FSDO where they plan to go for the year, contests, airshows, etc. supplemental faxes are sent if they need to go somewhere different.

All that said, I doubt you can use the Exhibition category for a fat/ 2 seat ultralight. It is used for airshow, competition, warbirds, etc.

I don't know Ryan but his posts do tend to come across gruff at times. His advice in this area is sound in my opinion. I would not buy an unregistered 3 seater. Also, get with your local EAA chapter and find someone familiar with the type of plane you want to buy and take them with you to look at a plane. As much as you would be careful buying a used built up 40% airplane, you should be even more careful buying something built by an amateur that you are going to put your butt in. Just as there are awesome model builders, there are awesome homebuilders. You just have to be careful.

Get help when getting ready to buy.

Dan
It depends on how the operating limitations attached to the airworthiness are written. They will contain all the information regarding how the airplane will be flown and maintained. Some are very restrictive like training flights with take off and landing at your home airport only unless the flight is listed on your yearly trip sheet. I have only dealt with one exhibition aircraft, and its limitations were pretty open. Tom
Old 05-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Noble, IL USA
Joined Sep 2006
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
Tom I like those CTs, the first time I saw one I thought it was an egg on a tripod but the interior and fit and finish seems much, much better than most sport planes out there.
Ryan, they are a great airplane. I've been studying, and I think I could load a 35% in there if its rudder and landing gear would come off. That would make traveling to some of the long distance contest easier. Tom
Old 05-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Noble, IL USA
Joined Sep 2006
121 Posts

I just wanted to add there is just as much confusion inside the industry on the regulations for the maintenance of these SLSA's. In most cases the local FAA does not have the answers yet either. Tom
Old 05-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dreaming View Post
If you buy a Challenger I've heard they are nice flying airplane, but please have it checked over closely. Any of the of the ultralights that use a steel bolt through aluminum tubing have some corrosion problems with age. My Friend with the Challenger rebuilt it, and found bolts that had lost over 50% of their diameter inside the tubing. There has also been some wing folding accidents due to this corrosion. I hope this has been more helpful. If you want you can check out my website www.flymyct.com . Tom Baker
I'm sorry, but that kind of corrosion is due to dissimilar metals and has nothing to do with age. However, I agree, check any aircraft over very carefully before you buy. There's a lot of folks who don't know how to plan for the long run.(i.e. not using sealant on steel bolts through aluminum tubing)

Sleepy, see you at the Huckfest.
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 05-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by jonkoppisch
United States, AL, Semmes
Joined Jan 2006
810 Posts

The CT looks pretty incredible! Great specs! Wish I had an extra $130,000 lying around I'm afraid general aviation is way out of my price range
jonkoppisch is offline Find More Posts by jonkoppisch
Old 05-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Noble, IL USA
Joined Sep 2006
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50%plane View Post
I'm sorry, but that kind of corrosion is due to dissimilar metals and has nothing to do with age. However, I agree, check any aircraft over very carefully before you buy. There's a lot of folks who don't know how to plan for the long run.(i.e. not using sealant on steel bolts through aluminum tubing)

Sleepy, see you at the Huckfest.
I know what it is and why it happens, but the truth is it is unlikely to show up until the airplane has some age. How much age I don't know.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dreaming View Post
I know what it is and why it happens, but the truth is it is unlikely to show up until the airplane has some age. How much age I don't know.
time, weather, stress, etc. but if you look to see if they were installed with sealant, or any other protective measure, you can generally get a good idea whether it was done right.
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 05-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

For what it is worth, I am looking at new, factory built rigs....
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX

Quick Reply