logo
Old 08-03-2020, 06:00 AM
Find More Posts by Belginique
Joined May 2020
39 Posts
Hi All,

I am making progress on my Timber build.
I have opened up the top of the tail section to put in some reinforcements. The amount of glue was ok, no dry spots. Also I re-did the wing strut mounts in the wings with M4 bolts.

Overall it is a great kit and build quality is great. All the hardware is also great quality.

I mounted a tow release (picture attached - you can see some of my cross bracing in the background). Servo location is a bit strange. You either have to fit a very long servo arm and use about 40% of the throw, or do as I did and make a Z-bend to align it a bit better.

Question: we always aim to avoid metal on metal to reduce interference issues. The tow release is aluminium and the rod that goes through the center bore is steel, should I worry about this?

Xcub gear installation was pretty straightforward, minor re-alingment was required. Those Airtop wheels are HEAVY. Hurts a bit to put so much weight on it, but they do look great. If there is a lighter alternative out there that works with a 23x8 prop... please let me know.

The xcub gear springs seem very stiff. I suspect I will never even get the springs to budge. Any tips for softer springs? It appears there are two springs inside the 'sock'. I could try to remove one. I will fly with them first to see how they work in real life.

Where are you mounting your battery packs? I will aim to move them as far aft as possible, but the rudder servo does not leave much space on the sides. I will have three 2200mah 2s packs. Currently I'mt thinking to place them on either side of the rudder servo to avoid creating a dedicated plate for them behind the rudder servo.

Final question is about general control throws: The recommended throws seem very small. I will start off with them as my low rates. For 3D I am aiming for 45 degree deflections for all surfaces. With the 1.5" servo arms that is perfectly achievable. Any need for more?
Belginique is offline Find More Posts by Belginique
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-03-2020, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by AKNick
1Corinthians 3:18
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belginique View Post
Hi All,

I am making progress on my Timber build.
I have opened up the top of the tail section to put in some reinforcements. The amount of glue was ok, no dry spots. Also I re-did the wing strut mounts in the wings with M4 bolts.

Overall it is a great kit and build quality is great. All the hardware is also great quality.

I mounted a tow release (picture attached - you can see some of my cross bracing in the background). Servo location is a bit strange. You either have to fit a very long servo arm and use about 40% of the throw, or do as I did and make a Z-bend to align it a bit better.

Question: we always aim to avoid metal on metal to reduce interference issues. The tow release is aluminium and the rod that goes through the center bore is steel, should I worry about this?

Xcub gear installation was pretty straightforward, minor re-alingment was required. Those Airtop wheels are HEAVY. Hurts a bit to put so much weight on it, but they do look great. If there is a lighter alternative out there that works with a 23x8 prop... please let me know.

The xcub gear springs seem very stiff. I suspect I will never even get the springs to budge. Any tips for softer springs? It appears there are two springs inside the 'sock'. I could try to remove one. I will fly with them first to see how they work in real life.

Where are you mounting your battery packs? I will aim to move them as far aft as possible, but the rudder servo does not leave much space on the sides. I will have three 2200mah 2s packs. Currently I'mt thinking to place them on either side of the rudder servo to avoid creating a dedicated plate for them behind the rudder servo.

Final question is about general control throws: The recommended throws seem very small. I will start off with them as my low rates. For 3D I am aiming for 45 degree deflections for all surfaces. With the 1.5" servo arms that is perfectly achievable. Any need for more?
Right on!
2.4ghz is less prone to interferance with the metal to metal contact. I think you'll be fine. You can possibly make your own linkage with a Dubro Goldnrod. I'm not using the tow option.

On another forum there is a guy who made his own aluminum gear with heavier gauge material and made it taller... FG wont let me share a GSN link.
You can get some PMT tires from Germany, but they take about a month to get to the USA. They are much lighter, and more expensive.
I've seen people use lighter springs from the hardware store.
You can shorten the center rods to achieve a little more ground clearance as it moves the tires inboard. Once again, FG wont let me share a GSN link.

I made a little shelf along the mid cabin on either side of the fuel tank for the batteries.

1.5" seemed too little for the geometry they came up with for control horn placement. I used a 2" arm utilizing the 1.75" hole for max deflection.

I'm not sure how you installed your M4 (not M3?) blind nut in the wing. It appears to be upside down?
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 08-04-2020, 03:43 AM
Find More Posts by Belginique
Joined May 2020
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNick View Post
Right on!
2.4ghz is less prone to interferance with the metal to metal contact. I think you'll be fine. You can possibly make your own linkage with a Dubro Goldnrod. I'm not using the tow option.

On another forum there is a guy who made his own aluminum gear with heavier gauge material and made it taller... FG wont let me share a GSN link.
You can get some PMT tires from Germany, but they take about a month to get to the USA. They are much lighter, and more expensive.
I've seen people use lighter springs from the hardware store.
You can shorten the center rods to achieve a little more ground clearance as it moves the tires inboard. Once again, FG wont let me share a GSN link.

I made a little shelf along the mid cabin on either side of the fuel tank for the batteries.

1.5" seemed too little for the geometry they came up with for control horn placement. I used a 2" arm utilizing the 1.75" hole for max deflection.

I'm not sure how you installed your M4 (not M3?) blind nut in the wing. It appears to be upside down?
Great, thank you for the feedback.

For the metal on metal... good to hear 2.4GHz is less sensitive. I guess I will leave it as is, as I am sure many have these systems in use now without issues.

At first I thought I was stupid for forgetting about the PMT's and being based in Europe... but then I remember the price. I guess I will have to see if I can get over the fact that the Airtops add about 1kg of weight...

I will see how the gear behaves, but for me the whole point of an articulated gear is that it wel... articulates. As I love touch and goes, I want to see it moving.

Thanks for the advice on the shelf. I was thinking about that for the receivers... but doing that for the batteries will allow them to sit at the back more comfortably. I will likely do the same.

For the blind nuts, well spotted! Yes, I installed the them upside down. I have done that quite a lot in the past as it does a much better job at diffusing the load than building a soft wooden frame around it. I just made sure I used enough glass reinforced epoxy on top to ensure that it does not budge and can resist some shocks.
Belginique is offline Find More Posts by Belginique
Old 08-04-2020, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by flyerman
United States, AL, Troy
Joined May 2014
264 Posts
Just notified mine has shipped and will arrive Thursday. After skimming part of this thread I'm really happy I don't have to re-invent the wheel solving "issues" and finding nice to have add-ons.
Fast shipping- I ordered about midnight Friday and here it comes!! Killer price point with the sale.
flyerman is offline Find More Posts by flyerman
Old 08-04-2020, 09:48 AM
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerman View Post
Just notified mine has shipped and will arrive Thursday. After skimming part of this thread I'm really happy I don't have to re-invent the wheel solving "issues" and finding nice to have add-ons.
Fast shipping- I ordered about midnight Friday and here it comes!! Killer price point with the sale.
Almost made be buy a spare!
Old 08-04-2020, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by flyerman
United States, AL, Troy
Joined May 2014
264 Posts
Quote:
Almost made be buy a spare!
Two better than one most of the time!
flyerman is offline Find More Posts by flyerman
Old 08-06-2020, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by castlebravo
It's the Summer Of George
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Mar 2007
2,335 Posts
Subscribed...Just got mine with the 15% discount and free shipping (Yay!).....gonna be a slow build because most of my free time these days is taken up by playing pool My setup will be slightly different than the typical found here mostly because these are the components I have here on hand. Here Goes:
Engine: Evolution/MVVS 58/ Mejlic 22/12 3 Blade prop
Servos: Mixture of HiTec 5955's and 7955's with a JR 8711 on Rudder
Flex 8 Gyro...maybe...
If it comes off backorder...I'm gonna put the X-Cub gear in....however has anyone used any other articulated gear such as Robart or any others?
Has anyone used the wheels/tires from the 170cc X-Cub....I know they're expensive but availability may trump cost....
If I can think of any other oddities I'll list em....control is via my trusty old Futaba 14MZ

Good Times!

CB
castlebravo is offline Find More Posts by castlebravo
Last edited by castlebravo; 08-07-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlebravo View Post
Subscribed...Just got mine with the 15% discount and free shipping (Yay!).....gonna be a slow build because most of my free time these days is taken up by playing pool My setup will be slightly different than the typical found here mostly because these are the components I have here on hand. Here Goes:
Engine: Evolution/MVVS 58/ Mejlic 22/12 3 Blade prop
Servos: Mixture of HiTec 5955's and 7955's with a JR 8711 on Rudder
Flex 8 Gyro...maybe...
If it comes off backorder...I'm gonna put the X-Cub gear in....however has anyone used any other articulated gear such as Robart or any others?
Has anyone used the wheels/tires from the 170cc X-Cub....I know they're expensive but availability may trump cost....
If I can think of any other oddities I'll list em....control is via my trusty old Futaba 14MZ

Good Times!

CB
Right on! I have yet to hear anyone using the robart gear. The stock gear bends easy, and is junk. I've seen people bend up there own heavier gauge aluminum gear, and make it taller to accommodate the larger 50cc props. Haven't seen anyone use the 8.5" X-Cub tires. Maybe check the forum over there to see what they think of them.
The Tailwheel for the big x-cub is a little bit different. I wonder what size wheel that uses... It does have more leafs the the smaller x-cub.

Curious what the gyro would help you with? It's basically a hyped up supercub.

When building your timber install your components aft as much as possible. CG is best at 5.125" empty, 5" loaded with fuel.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by castlebravo
It's the Summer Of George
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Mar 2007
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Right on! I have yet to hear anyone using the robart gear. The stock gear bends easy, and is junk. I've seen people bend up there own heavier gauge aluminum gear, and make it taller to accommodate the larger 50cc props. Haven't seen anyone use the 8.5" X-Cub tires. Maybe check the forum over there to see what they think of them.
The Tailwheel for the big x-cub is a little bit different. I wonder what size wheel that uses... It does have more leafs the the smaller x-cub.

When building your timber install your components aft as much as possible. CG is best at 5.125" empty, 5" loaded with fuel.
I dont need the gyro however sometimes the flying is just a little more "pleasurable" with one...especially with High Alpha aerobatics.....but I've also had bad experiences with them so thats why I'm still on the fence about installing the one that I have....good advice on the CG...Thanks!

CB
castlebravo is offline Find More Posts by castlebravo
Old 08-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlebravo View Post
I dont need the gyro however sometimes the flying is just a little more "pleasurable" with one...especially with High Alpha aerobatics.....but I've also had bad experiences with them so thats why I'm still on the fence about installing the one that I have....good advice on the CG...Thanks!

CB
A buddy on another site (GSN) said 5.25" is too much as the tail drops. I really think the sweet spot is like I said. 5-5-1/8"
It's a fun plane, cant wait for you to get airborne!
Old 08-08-2020, 05:53 AM
Find More Posts by Das_Stig
United States, NH, Derry
Joined Nov 2018
52 Posts
Quote:
I put an AS3000 in my Timber just because. I definitely agree with you ....It certainly doesn’t need it. But man o man is she solid on a gusty day.
Das_Stig is offline Find More Posts by Das_Stig
Old 08-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by BSteeve
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2018
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
I put an AS3000 in my Timber just because. I definitely agree with you ....It certainly doesn’t need it. But man o man is she solid on a gusty day.
Are you gas or electric?
BSteeve is offline Find More Posts by BSteeve
Old 08-10-2020, 05:39 AM
Find More Posts by Das_Stig
United States, NH, Derry
Joined Nov 2018
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSteeve View Post
Are you gas or electric?
I am gas with a DA50.
Das_Stig is offline Find More Posts by Das_Stig
Old 08-14-2020, 07:21 AM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
United States, FL, Odessa
Joined Apr 2019
1,239 Posts
Question for those that purchased the PMT Bushwheels. I’m in the process of purchasing a set of 262mm, yes they are a little spendy at €200 (approx. $240) shipped. However they are trying to collect an additional almost $50 in VAT (value added tax).

In all my other international purchases, I have never had to pay VAT. Those who bought from PMT, did you also get charged VAT.

These wheels will end up being half the cost of the airframe itself!!
GR8R8 is offline Find More Posts by GR8R8
Old 08-14-2020, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by Redjack
United States, LA, Slidell
Joined Oct 2014
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8R8 View Post
Question for those that purchased the PMT Bushwheels. I’m in the process of purchasing a set of 262mm, yes they are a little spendy at €200 (approx. $240) shipped. However they are trying to collect an additional almost $50 in VAT (value added tax).

In all my other international purchases, I have never had to pay VAT. Those who bought from PMT, did you also get charged VAT.

These wheels will end up being half the cost of the airframe itself!!
Would you do me a favor and send a link to the PMT tires you found?
Thanks,
Gary
Redjack is offline Find More Posts by Redjack

Quick Reply