logo
Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAZ4 View Post
Original firmware, not updated at all. The updated firmware was what I was worried about since the radio had performed flawlessly as original. As to why was I using the radio? Duh it was my radio!

Now to start studying up on a replacement system. I am looking into JR 11x and Futaba 12 dual processor model.

JB

After a few fly-aways I changed to JR11X. The SG-10 would be a possibility---I am not a fan of Futaba programming.
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Another option if you like your A9 is the XPS modules. I know that "theKM" has had great success with the XPS modules in his A9.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by DougV
Miramar, Florida
Joined May 2008
518 Posts
Red z06,

I can't remember where I read that you guys were not flying the A9 with helis any longer, is that still the case?

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by red_z06
Dumont, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,517 Posts
Doug

We are not with the Hitec team. But, we still fly mostly Hitec stuff because they work. Justin is still flying his Aurora 9 with his helis and airplanes. I left the team to be able to test other brand servos (haven't done it yet although Savox and MKS servos are mounted on test helis) openly.

We test fly Futaba and JR tx on daily basis while testing or tuning club members' helis and airplanes and felt that there is no real gain from switching.
red_z06 is offline Find More Posts by red_z06
Old 11-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by JBAZ4
Joined Feb 2011
118 Posts
Slow arc, fly away, no control whatsoever, YUP, that was it. Thank God no one was injured! The plane actually left the state of AZ, flew across the Colorado River and ended up in BLM (Indian Land). The field we fly out of has soccer fields, a park and other places where people relax, so I am just happy that no one was in the Crash Path! At least they might of heard the engine running (idling) before impact.

At this point I am afraid to try the A9 with a big plane again. Heck I admit it, I am afraid to fly a 100c again, but it just flew and landed like a dream. Fuselage is only $300 bucks and I have an extra set of wings, so figure with all replacement parts I can be flying the 260 again for under $400! IFFFF, the engine is ok! Maybe just fly it without the opto kill.

JB
JBAZ4 is offline Find More Posts by JBAZ4
Old 11-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by Paroos
Sweden
Joined May 2007
255 Posts
Can someone please explain the optical kill switch thing?
If its an optical kill switch used to turn on/off the ignition I cant see how it could affect an Rx?
(except if it was malfunctioning very badly, they are built to fail in a safe way)
It has optical coupling to isolate the ground loop which protects the Rx from the igition system regarding RF noise and voltage/current.

Sounds very strange!
Paroos is offline Find More Posts by Paroos
Old 11-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paroos View Post
Can someone please explain the optical kill switch thing?
If its an optical kill switch used to turn on/off the ignition I cant see how it could affect an Rx?
(except if it was malfunctioning very badly, they are built to fail in a safe way)
It has optical coupling to isolate the ground loop which protects the Rx from the igition system regarding RF noise and voltage/current.

Sounds very strange!

it was hitecs first thought of the lock outs. it has since been eliminated as a suspect.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 11-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by Paroos
Sweden
Joined May 2007
255 Posts
OK, makes sense...
Paroos is offline Find More Posts by Paroos
Old 11-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by skippy78
Narrows, VA
Joined Jun 2009
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
Another option if you like your A9 is the XPS modules. I know that "theKM" has had great success with the XPS modules in his A9.
+1 on the xps modules I have been using one in the A9 since it was released.
skippy78 is offline Find More Posts by skippy78
Old 11-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by CSpaced
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts
It sucks when people have lockouts, I got to see a couple the other weekend on another brand, again with no apparent reason why.

I've been flying my A9 for about a year and a half in giant scale planes and 3D helis, absolutely flawless for me. I recently put an optima 7 into an electric 2m sailplane, and sent it up until I could barely see which way the wings were pointing, didn't get so much as a hiccup. For what it's worth, I fly the Smartfly optical ignition kill in all my giant scale planes.

I fly a few helis with an 8FG, mainly because it's got bad ass programming for helis (remote governor settings, gyro gain settings for all 3 gyros).
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
Old 11-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by CSpaced
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts
To the OP, are you going to send your gear to Hitec to be checked out? I'd be interested to hear what they find.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by JBAZ4
Joined Feb 2011
118 Posts
I am sending the Optima 9 in. Like I said, I have been using the Optima 6/7 on at least 8 planes without issues. Of course when I changed the 7 for the 9 the lockout occurred (maybe coincidental).

Is the XPS system from the guy in Lake Havasu City, AZ? I thought I saw him at the float fly in Havasu last year with a turbine heli?

JB
JBAZ4 is offline Find More Posts by JBAZ4
Old 11-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by pryor808
Fast & Low
Originally from Puerto Rico but, live in NY. Go! Gabriel Altuz
Joined Nov 2009
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
To the OP, are you going to send your gear to Hitec to be checked out? I'd be interested to hear what they find.
They will change the gears......
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
How many points do you have ?
3 miles South of where Jamie McMurray cried like a Biotch.
Joined May 2007
9,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAZ4 View Post
Original firmware, not updated at all. The updated firmware was what I was worried about since the radio had performed flawlessly as original. As to why was I using the radio? Duh it was my radio!

Now to start studying up on a replacement system. I am looking into JR 11x and Futaba 12 dual processor model.

JB
After i lost 3 planes to the A9 flyaway mode,and two of my good friends had the SAME EXACT issues with there A9,s.....we all went to the 11X and we are right back on track and non of us have lost a plane since,just like ALL THE YEARS of NO ISSUES prior to the A9.....I liked the A9 alot,it felt good and was a blast to program a plane with-but that damn thing has an issue,sure hope they fix it fast....It has been almost 2 years since we had our issues.....and i am not trying to say JR is the way to go,just what a bunch of guys around here are using with not 1 issue.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
How many points do you have ?
3 miles South of where Jamie McMurray cried like a Biotch.
Joined May 2007
9,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Spool View Post
Hitec posted on there web about using opto kills with there system....... I love my A9 and stand behind it 100%, im sure there are better radios out there but money for money there isn't.
Not sure about where you live,but alot of places i fly,and events i go to,you have to have an ign kill.....Hell,i went to one event that they gave anybody that did not have one for 10 bucks so they could fly for the weekend-or go home.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child

Quick Reply