Old 02-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeythrtlr View Post
My fusion https://youtu.be/XClgx4oqJVI

Original Kit from OMP. The lighter 67" flew better than the current 70".

Ain't that the truth,they always have to bake things bigger but not always better.IMO they ruin the Fusion by making it bigger and heavier...
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by Whiskeythrtlr
Joined Nov 2017
274 Posts
Two bros I know tried it. They say it still flies IMAC well but doesn't 3D very well on a 20cc. They tried adding a firewall for a 30cc and that just upped the weight and wingloading and didn't help the power situation.

If you really want the true profile experience but don't want to spend a month of evenings building a kit/scratch then the sabre 35 and 47 from valuehobby are your only options sense OMP dropped their proyak.
Whiskeythrtlr is offline Find More Posts by Whiskeythrtlr
Old 02-17-2018, 01:56 PM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Feb 2013
2,697 Posts
I hated my 70" fusion out of the box. After removing a tail servo and adding a 30cc it became a whole lot better. Whiskythrtlr is right in that it ups the wing loading however it still does high energy 3D just fine. You won't fly it low and post stall all the time like a bro approved slab but it's still a lot of fun and the plane is built extremely tough. I have a set of plans from Pro Bro Allen for new wings however after the 30cc conversion it just wasn't as important to me. DO NOT BOTHER with 20cc gas on this plane. If you don't make it 35cc then go electric (did I really say that?)

The 20cc Peak model (Aerobeez redwing etc) and similar 20cc slabs are fun planes however they are EXTREMELY fragile and can snap in half on a hard landing. Fortunately they are easy to fix but you will be fixing them. I've repaired my fuselage twice. Also they are a little sketchy post stall, wing rock in harrier is a given.

My biggest and baddest slab is a WWRC 60cc LamSuk (80", 15lbs) that was my first kit build. It is a true Pro Bro approved slab that prefers to fly stalled more then it does on the wing. It literally slows down time and is so easy to fly post stall that it's like a 3D trainer. Only issue with that plane is high energy 3D is simply out of the question. Snaps, blenders, KE spins are a little funny looking to say the least.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 02-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
Ain't that the truth,they always have to bake things bigger but not always better.IMO they ruin the Fusion by making it bigger and heavier...
Agreed, I only purchased the new model because of the name and history of the 67". I was so disappointed after the first flight that I put it up for sale almost immediately but couldn't sell it.The new model leaves a ton to be desired and should have been released with a firewall for a bigger engine and more wing area. It's almost 9 lbs with a DLE 20 and that's simply anemic 3D power. Also I can't figure out why they used 2 elevator servos. You can pull out almost 1/4 lb by removing it and joining the elevator halves with some music wire.

Here is my Fusion Mod thread:
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=206107
Last edited by Muttdog; 02-17-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:24 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,703 Posts
I had a kit built Fusion first then a couple of 67" ARF's.They WERE the best profiles on earth at the time.I see you found the weak point of the 80" WW LamSuk as I did too.Low and slow was the way it was design.After repairs to the aft fuse I needed to add a DJ72 to counter the rear weight that got added.Now it doesn't fly the same as new with a DLE55,mine came out sub 16lbs. too,but not any more.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,697 Posts
Low and slow is fun, it's just I'm not that good and with the emotional attachment of a kit build it's hard to do the low part. It has been a huge help learning rolling harriers with so much control at low speed.
I found an add in craigslist the other day for an old OMP fusion brand new in the box never opened only a few hours drive away. I couldn't type the email fast enough until I realized it was a smaller version. Bummer.

Last edited by Muttdog; 02-17-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:30 AM
Joined Jul 2006
4,703 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean.One of the ProBro's had a 50cc Fusion that they only made for about a year that he wanted to sell.Only bad part you had to but a OMP Yak and Edge(that I already have) to get it as a package deal.
I'm thinking about retiring my LamSuk and building a 50cc EE Extra.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:57 AM
Joined Nov 2017
274 Posts
Man I'd love to get ahold of that 40 size fusion arf!
Old 02-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeythrtlr View Post
Man I'd love to get ahold of that 40 size fusion arf!
https://lakeland.craigslist.org/for/...443532170.html
Old 02-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by RobertC
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2006
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
I'm thinking about retiring my LamSuk and building a 50cc EE Extra.
50cc EE Extra is a pleasure to build, and it should be a beast of a profile between the large wing-area and low weight! I did a very un-ProBro thing and modified mine to have a larger (taller) vertical stab (forgive me Hazz), and reduced the elevator size at the recommendation of Richard (WrongWay).

[Oh, and please ignore my wife's truck in the back... ]
RobertC is online now Find More Posts by RobertC
Old 02-18-2018, 02:35 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,703 Posts
The Bro's live by modifying kits to their liking.That interesting that Richard thinks the vertical stab needs to be in large and the elevator smaller.Most of the time they want control surfaces big.They sure do look good in the bones,thats part of the reason I like clear covering in most any color.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by RobertC
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2006
24 Posts
To be clear, Richard suggested reducing the width of both the elevator and rudder-- I suspect that because the tail moment is so long it becomes difficult to balance (there are warnings everywhere in the manual to not add any more glue than is absolutely necessary to the tail). I did reduce the rudder width, but increased the height... just didn't dig that stubby tail.

Not sure of the covering scheme yet, but I agree that it would be a shame to hide all that beautiful wood!
RobertC is online now Find More Posts by RobertC
Old 02-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,703 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:37 PM
Joined Nov 2017
274 Posts
I know the stock EE's of all sizes fly and 3D beautifully. I hope the mods work out for you.

Quick Reply