Old 10-22-2018, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,442 Posts
Discussion
TAS Freestyle Observation

I really enjoyed the Live Feed. I watched some live and went back and watched others on youtube after they were done.

I have to say, it has been a few years since I watched much freestyle from TAS but have to say they were ALL really good. previously I might enjoy watching the top few and the rest were just OK. Not that I could do better by any means but not that interesting. Even the bottom half had parts of their routine I thought were really good or some novel moves.

One thing I noticed was basically everyone had a bunch of music changes. I understand the criteria enough to understand the tempo changes and needing to show the whole flight envelope but the constant music changes were somewhat distracting for me. I am curious as to if this is just the way it is in order to score well? Just wondering if freestyle has become a flying AND music mixing contest.

Dan
why_fly_high is online now Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-22-2018, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,394 Posts
Something to note that we did different this time....

We had 6 judges, and there are 6 criteria. Each judge only had to judge ONE criteria. I believed this helped big time as I heard from many of the judges saying it was wayyyy easier to judge freestyle focusing on their one criteria that was assigned to them.... I also put the description of their criteria on the score card, so they can review it before the flight takes place.

To answer your question, to score higher on freestyle you need to have a melody of music consisting of fast, med, and slow pace songs. You should also build your routine to fly to the music the best you can. A routine that consist of fast pace music / flying is not going to score as well as a routine with fast / slow / medium pace music / flying. This falls under one of the criteria, and since one judge only had to focus on this one criteria it was a lot easier to judge.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply