Old 06-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
720 Posts
Help!
best glue for glueing a busted canopy?

So i am trying to figure out how to fix this busted canopy, he put tap on it and i had a time getting most of the sticky off of the top, i cut a coke bottle and have it fitted on top thinking about just gluing it to the outside then maybe taking another part of a bottle or something and gluing on the inside. to kinda sandwich it together to help hold, if anyone has any other ideas please let me know them.

after that i would paint it from the inside black or maybe white. so it wont look so bad then

Picture of it busted and with the bottle just laying on top.. i have been trying to think of anything else that would be bigger and go all way down on the sides maybe.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Last edited by epoweredrc; 07-25-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by crosswind
Never hover on an empty tank
Sacramento, California
Joined Nov 2009
451 Posts
Man epowered I feel for ya. Have you thought of buying a new canopy from a similar airframe, removing that one from the hatch and fitting the new one to that hatch? It would take some work for sure and probably not the cheapest way to go but may be a better result in the end. I'm assuming a new one is not available for that plane.

As far as canopy glue goes I really like Zap canopy glue, formula 560 for attaching canopies to new airframes. CA gold, foam safe that won't fog plastic works well for repairs and smaller canopies. Good luck!
crosswind is offline Find More Posts by crosswind
Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
Man epowered I feel for ya. Have you thought of buying a new canopy from a similar airframe, removing that one from the hatch and fitting the new one to that hatch? It would take some work for sure and probably not the cheapest way to go but may be a better result in the end. I'm assuming a new one is not available for that plane.

As far as canopy glue goes I really like Zap canopy glue, formula 560 for attaching canopies to new airframes. CA gold, foam safe that won't fog plastic works well for repairs and smaller canopies. Good luck!

Thanks, no the company is no longer around, and i have ads that i need one but i feel finding someone with one in ood shape will be one out of a million..

our first thoyght was to buy one for another plane and put it on this one, but didn't relize all of the canopys are already attached to the hatches.. need find a way to buy one that has'nt been attached yet. not sure who to even ask about something like that...

I just found out about a product called PETG Plastic it is suppose to be modable. and can be heated to fet around.. only issue is i'm not sure what thickness i would need and i need a big sheet looks like the canopy in whole is 20 inches long by 14 inches wide. I would want a little bigger to have more to work with..

it might work better then what i have now but just not sure.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
906 Posts
Just put packing tape over the hole, fly the plane and see if you love it enough to spend that much on repairing. You can also remove old canopy and cover hole left behind for test flying. Then nake a plug from foam cover with black Econokote or similar covering and fly it!!!!
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 06-11-2019, 07:04 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Just put packing tape over the hole, fly the plane and see if you love it enough to spend that much on repairing. You can also remove old canopy and cover hole left behind for test flying. Then nake a plug from foam cover with black Econokote or similar covering and fly it!!!!

it is so brittle by itself, i think the tape will just not hold up. first flight the whole thing be broke im sure.
I thought about removing the glass and covering the hole with balsa but ive flown a plane that the whole canopy/hatch flew off and it flew like crap when it came off. so not sure.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by crosswind
Never hover on an empty tank
Sacramento, California
Joined Nov 2009
451 Posts
You could try Performance Aircraft Unlimited for a canopy. A lot of their airframes you have to attach the canopy to the hatch. If you send them an email he is really good at getting back to you.
crosswind is offline Find More Posts by crosswind
Old 06-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
You could try Performance Aircraft Unlimited for a canopy. A lot of their airframes you have to attach the canopy to the hatch. If you send them an email he is really good at getting back to you.
Oh, you mean. https://flypau.com/
I will look into that. thanks
Old 06-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
1,870 Posts
Fiberglass specialties sells clear canopys. You didn't tell us what it was for so I couldn't look it up. They might have something
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 06-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182 View Post
Fiberglass specialties sells clear canopys. You didn't tell us what it was for so I couldn't look it up. They might have something
Thanks

its a Air wild 35% edge 540

is this them? http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm

Looks like they just do cowls and wheel pants
Last edited by epoweredrc; 06-12-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,268 Posts
For a future note.....WD40 on a rag will remove almost Anything sticky.....
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Thanks

its a Air wild 35% edge 540

is this them? http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm

Looks like they just do cowls and wheel pants
You will need to look under parts for kits. Look through each brand to see if they have anything close. Otherwise check with fibertechnmore
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 06-12-2019, 02:57 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy082662 View Post
For a future note.....WD40 on a rag will remove almost Anything sticky.....
I thought i put that but wd40 was what i used first, then it didn't do a whole lot the goof off did lot better. but had to be wiped off right after got it loose.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:07 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182 View Post
You will need to look under parts for kits. Look through each brand to see if they have anything close. Otherwise check with fibertechnmore

Thanks for the sites, I looked again and didnt see anything big enough for a edge.. I will keep looking.

the last site says they were hit by a tornado and there okay but some there buildings got torn up and everything on order is on hold right now.. I looked on the site and didn't see anything.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by bruce leach
United States, NY, Haverstraw
Joined Apr 2010
104 Posts
I had a cracked up canopy on a pattern plane. I took a manilla folder and wrapped the outside and shaped it a bit. Then I fiberglassed it from the inside. Some sanding and some silver paint and that was it. Not 100% perfect, but from 10 ft. away not bad at all.
bruce leach is offline Find More Posts by bruce leach
Old 06-12-2019, 11:41 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce leach View Post
I had a cracked up canopy on a pattern plane. I took a manilla folder and wrapped the outside and shaped it a bit. Then I fiberglassed it from the inside. Some sanding and some silver paint and that was it. Not 100% perfect, but from 10 ft. away not bad at all.
I guess with the fiberglass it soaked into the manilla folder to stiffen it up? i would never thought that would been strong enough

Quick Reply