logo
Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 04:40 PM
mnavarro is offline
Find More Posts by mnavarro
Registered User
United States, CA, SF
Joined Oct 2012
80 Posts
So I've been flying this plane for a bit. Like others I had an issue with the mount rattling loose. I had to actually remove the covering to fix/reinforce. The area just aft of the landing gear is extremely fragile. On so/so landing (was trying a harrier landing) the area behind the landing gear cracked in several pieces. When you uncover the film you will see how delicate it is. 1/8 lightply with balsa stringers. It's tought to get it perfect straight after damaging it..

It's a very light airframe, but the airframe needs to be stronger. I might buy another one, remove the covering and see if I can mod the airframe a little to make it stronger. It's almost disposeable as I bought it for $135 at redwingrc.com
mnavarro is offline Find More Posts by mnavarro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM
leelee is offline
Find More Posts by leelee
Knife Edge
leelee's Avatar
United States, NC, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2006
1,135 Posts
I am getting ready to purchase one from Aerobeez. Its a profile at a great price. If it get destroyeed buy another. I could fly this in the backyard so i think it will be worth it.
leelee is offline Find More Posts by leelee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 PM
CanCanCase is offline
Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Look, I can hover a foamy!
CanCanCase's Avatar
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Dec 2006
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnavarro View Post
So I've been flying this plane for a bit. Like others I had an issue with the mount rattling loose. I had to actually remove the covering to fix/reinforce. The area just aft of the landing gear is extremely fragile. On so/so landing (was trying a harrier landing) the area behind the landing gear cracked in several pieces. When you uncover the film you will see how delicate it is. 1/8 lightply with balsa stringers. It's tought to get it perfect straight after damaging it..

It's a very light airframe, but the airframe needs to be stronger. I might buy another one, remove the covering and see if I can mod the airframe a little to make it stronger. It's almost disposeable as I bought it for $135 at redwingrc.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy View Post
"Do you feel like a big man when you talk to people like that? What a tool!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
"I'd rather fly than build, (and I have build profiles to 40%ers.) and some ARF's offer a great quality to price value. To each his own, no need to rain on anyone's parade!"
Hmm... seems familiar.
-Case
CanCanCase is offline Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Last edited by CanCanCase; 10-28-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added real name to take responsibility for what I have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM
mnavarro is offline
Find More Posts by mnavarro
Registered User
United States, CA, SF
Joined Oct 2012
80 Posts
This post has been edited to remove inflammatory languange and implied threats against another member who intentionally posted comments designed to incense me. I clearly felt baited here. I've been warned and I received 1 point. I post frequently in rcgroups and never had 1 warning but the reality is if somebody responds to a post of mine with that language "quotes or not" and not explained, I feel it illicited the response received and I would likely repeat it.
mnavarro is offline Find More Posts by mnavarro
Last edited by mnavarro; 11-02-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 PM
CanCanCase is offline
Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Look, I can hover a foamy!
CanCanCase's Avatar
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Dec 2006
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnavarro View Post
So you insult me for expressing my opinion on this airframe. You are the tool and i really would enjoy watching you say something like that to my face you little bitch.


Nope... go back to the first 3 posts in this very thread. I criticized the quality of the ARF, and made comments to the effect of getting a better product building and constructing instead of just flying an ARF from a box.

The two quotes I just posted were copied verbatim from OTHER POSTERS (see the quotation marks?) in response to my criticisms and suggestions. I think it's funny that you and I can both criticize the same model for much the same reasons, but when I say it I get blasted. Then when the same replies are quoted after YOUR post, the nastiness is wrongfully attributed to me and responded to with at least one or two violations of site policy.

Hey, SleepyC... THAT'S the "double standard" I was referring to... it has nothing to do with your moderation, but rather everything to do with members' perception of dissenting viewpoints. The "cool kids" are allowed to swear and insult anyone offering a dissenting opinion while anyone with a low post count or that doesn't have a history of flying at organized events get blasted just for offering a different viewpoint. Moderate all you want, it's the regular posters that set the "mood" for a forum and make FG a relatively hostile place.

Back to the original post and topic for a minute: For the THIRD TIME, I've found the Aerobeez/Redwing 65" Yak 20cc Profile to be of low quality (typical of most currently available Chinese ARFs) and in desperate need of serious modification and/or just build a different 20cc profile option from a simple kit.

-Case
CanCanCase is offline Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 AM
plowboy is offline
Find More Posts by plowboy
Balsa Farmer
plowboy's Avatar
United States, TX, Belton
Joined Jun 2008
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post


Nope... go back to the first 3 posts in this very thread. I criticized the quality of the ARF, and made comments to the effect of getting a better product building and constructing instead of just flying an ARF from a box.

The two quotes I just posted were copied verbatim from OTHER POSTERS (see the quotation marks?) in response to my criticisms and suggestions. I think it's funny that you and I can both criticize the same model for much the same reasons, but when I say it I get blasted. Then when the same replies are quoted after YOUR post, the nastiness is wrongfully attributed to me and responded to with at least one or two violations of site policy.

Hey, SleepyC... THAT'S the "double standard" I was referring to... it has nothing to do with your moderation, but rather everything to do with members' perception of dissenting viewpoints. The "cool kids" are allowed to swear and insult anyone offering a dissenting opinion while anyone with a low post count or that doesn't have a history of flying at organized events get blasted just for offering a different viewpoint. Moderate all you want, it's the regular posters that set the "mood" for a forum and make FG a relatively hostile place.

Back to the original post and topic for a minute: For the THIRD TIME, I've found the Aerobeez/Redwing 65" Yak 20cc Profile to be of low quality (typical of most currently available Chinese ARFs) and in desperate need of serious modification and/or just build a different 20cc profile option from a simple kit.

-Case
It's not what you say it's how you say it.
plowboy is offline Find More Posts by plowboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 AM
CanCanCase is offline
Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Look, I can hover a foamy!
CanCanCase's Avatar
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Dec 2006
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy View Post
It's not what you say it's how you say it.
So if I were to tell you to go help the local farmer jack off his horse, would that be a problem with what Im saying or how i say it??? There is no "feeling" or "tone" in the vast majority of internet posts, so to take my written (typed, actually) words at anything other than face value is a mistake on your part.

Besides, these recent posts haven't said anything new... a different poster was making the same points that I did back up in post #2 of the thread. Since you took the liberty of berating my post and calling me names, I simply responded by quoting the posts you and SleepyC made in response to these same factual statements.

Let's do this a third time... since the original poster asked for opinions of the Aerobeez 65" Yak 20cc Profile, I'll say that I picked one up cheap, and it's a good thing I did since the construction is of very poor quality. I guess if a guy wanted to peel back covering and reinforce several key areas, it would make a decent, flyable airframe. It would be less work, however, and less total expense to simply build one of the many 20cc profile kits available. Building the kit will give a much better understanding of what's in these things, and will make the inevitable repairs much easier. An ARF may get you flying sooner, but a kit will get you to the second, third and fourth flights much faster and with far less expense.

-Case
CanCanCase is offline Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 AM
BRBR is offline
Find More Posts by BRBR
A contributor of sorts
Joined Aug 2012
1,931 Posts
Yanks love to argue over trivial matters eh. I was interested in this model once until you killed the enthusiasm with petty bickering over differences of opinions. Instead of generalising that something is bad. Why not pin point those items that you felt were a problem and why. if your going to take the time to write a post lengthy or short at least clarify some useful info in it so others can use it to their advantage.
BRBR is offline Find More Posts by BRBR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 10:30 AM
CanCanCase is offline
Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Look, I can hover a foamy!
CanCanCase's Avatar
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Dec 2006
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBR View Post
Instead of generalising that something is bad. Why not pin point those items that you felt were a problem and why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
No tube in the fuse, typical hot glue ARF construction, and just a barely passable covering job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
The aerobeez ARFs aren't of great quality, IMO. You'll get a better built, lighter airframe building a profile from a kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnavarro View Post
I had an issue with the mount rattling loose. I had to actually remove the covering to fix/reinforce. The area just aft of the landing gear is extremely fragile. On so/so landing (was trying a harrier landing) the area behind the landing gear cracked in several pieces. When you uncover the film you will see how delicate it is. 1/8 lightply with balsa stringers. It's tought to get it perfect straight after damaging it..

It's a very light airframe, but the airframe needs to be stronger. I might buy another one, remove the covering and see if I can mod the airframe a little to make it stronger.
Beginning at post #2 in the thread, here ya go...
-Case
CanCanCase is offline Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 10:36 AM
plowboy is offline
Find More Posts by plowboy
Balsa Farmer
plowboy's Avatar
United States, TX, Belton
Joined Jun 2008
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
So if I were to tell you to go help the local farmer jack off his horse, would that be a problem with what Im saying or how i say it??? There is no "feeling" or "tone" in the vast majority of internet posts, so to take my written (typed, actually) words at anything other than face value is a mistake on your part.

Besides, these recent posts haven't said anything new... a different poster was making the same points that I did back up in post #2 of the thread. Since you took the liberty of berating my post and calling me names, I simply responded by quoting the posts you and SleepyC made in response to these same factual statements.

Let's do this a third time... since the original poster asked for opinions of the Aerobeez 65" Yak 20cc Profile, I'll say that I picked one up cheap, and it's a good thing I did since the construction is of very poor quality. I guess if a guy wanted to peel back covering and reinforce several key areas, it would make a decent, flyable airframe. It would be less work, however, and less total expense to simply build one of the many 20cc profile kits available. Building the kit will give a much better understanding of what's in these things, and will make the inevitable repairs much easier. An ARF may get you flying sooner, but a kit will get you to the second, third and fourth flights much faster and with far less expense.

-Case
No, you belittled him. I didn't have to read between the lines. You just didn't like it when I called you out for it. I don't like a bully.
I'm done with this futile exercise.
plowboy is offline Find More Posts by plowboy
Last edited by plowboy; 10-30-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM
roskob86 is offline
Find More Posts by roskob86
Anybody see where that went?
roskob86's Avatar
United States, OH, Ashtabula
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Hello Guys,
I am in the middle of putting one of these together to try and get it in the air before the snow flies. Overall so far it is ok as far as quality. I have seen better and worse. The worse is the covering. I had to re-iron the whole thing. Not just wrinkles (I expect some) but alot of loose seams/edges. The second is throw away the tailwheel assembly and get a sullivan. I read someone recommended putting carbon fiber on the motor mount area to keep the nuts from mashing the plywood. This worked great. My question to you is what are the recommended throws for low/high rate and where is the C.G balance point.
Thanks
roskob86 is offline Find More Posts by roskob86
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:36 AM
raydar is offline
Find More Posts by raydar
Registered User
Joined Nov 2009
1,178 Posts
If you have put a dle 20 on the front where its suposed to go (muffler in gap in fuse) and fitted your battery to the wing tube then consider it balanced, add a few oz to the nose first flight if your concerned. I did and removed it after maiden.

Make sure you add tri stock to the motor mount were you can. Great flyer but the front end is weak. After several low dead sticks and landing gear flattening landings my whole front end fell off. Repaired now.
raydar is offline Find More Posts by raydar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 AM
BRBR is offline
Find More Posts by BRBR
A contributor of sorts
Joined Aug 2012
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydar View Post
Great flyer but the front end is weak. After several low dead sticks and landing gear flattening landings my whole front end fell off. Repaired now.
Ha ha
BRBR is offline Find More Posts by BRBR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Cooper 1 is offline
Find More Posts by Cooper 1
IMAC USA Team Member
Cooper 1's Avatar
Nampa, Id
Joined Jul 2007
252 Posts
what size prop is everyone running on the DLE 20???
Cooper 1 is offline Find More Posts by Cooper 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 03:18 PM
raydar is offline
Find More Posts by raydar
Registered User
Joined Nov 2009
1,178 Posts
17 6 xoar, any 17 6 wooden is about right.
raydar is offline Find More Posts by raydar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


Quick Reply
Message:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools