logo
Old 03-22-2017, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by VinceY
That guy
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Feb 2006
734 Posts
Sub'd. I always enjoy your assembly and build threads Terry!
VinceY is offline Find More Posts by VinceY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-23-2017, 01:10 AM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Sorry kinda left everyone hanging Tuesday and Wed. Major issues at work, blah blah blah......lets get back to fun stuff!!!!

I spent some time tonight doing some measuring and a little calculating on the engine install. I'm excited to see as shown before that the did their homework and have the two cowls set up perfectly for most any quad and twin. My setup to balance is going to take some thinking but we'll have it done in no time. More on engine tomorrow.

I dug into the hardware some more and am impressed that everything in the kit is 100% usable which is nice. I'm a picky bastard and I normally go through and start tossing and make a list. Everything looks fantastic.

I'm really pleased with the tail wheel. #1 it's not short stubby so your rudder almost drags in the grass on the taxi out. #2 it's a painfully easy install. and #3 it's good quality, not an after-thought. It is all assembled, has the tiller wire installed, the ball link to capture the wire is installed in the rudder.
Also note that they had the factory pre-install all the screws in all the blind nuts throughout the plane and cowl!
Why is that exciting you say? Well, how many times have you installed a screw on an ARF only to find glue in the threads? How about installing a screw only to find the threads are barely there. All that is not an issue. Use a little blue loctite on the screws for safety even through they used four screws. Note: washers for this are in the tailwheel bag.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 03-23-2017, 01:20 AM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
OK, here is the tail wheel I am choosing and why. There is zero reason to do this other than my wife and I normally put on 6-8000 miles a year going to events and I fly a LOT during the summer. Gear and wheels take a beating even riding in the trailer not to mention all those different fields. For that I prefer the wire tailwheels over carbon.......nothing to break.

Obviously this is not an option from the ARF factory so I look to specialty companies. I like the Ohio Superstar for robust functional design, however for this project I saved some weight by going to J&J tailwheel which has the same physical dimensions. I've used dozens of each of these and been more than pleased.

I'm not going to go into details on install but if anyone wants some assistance shoot me a PM please.
Last edited by terryscustom; 03-23-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by AirRally
Air Rally
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Apr 2009
395 Posts
Nice build Terry!

I can't wait to see this plane this year. I have a 150 on the shelf just waiting to be used. Now to decide if I put some other projects aside.... hmmmm.
AirRally is offline Find More Posts by AirRally
Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Team JR Propo
Antarctica
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Looking good
Surfer Dude is offline Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Old 03-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRally View Post
Nice build Terry!

I can't wait to see this plane this year. I have a 150 on the shelf just waiting to be used. Now to decide if I put some other projects aside.... hmmmm.
115 with a 150 would be right up your alley with your precision flying skills!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
I always do my builds from major components down. So tonight will be engine and landing gear. I started last night with some measuring and pondering on the canister install. These cans are larger than most so fingers crossed. Also since we have rain and humidity today the fuse finally started to wrinkle just a bit. Well work on that too. Wings are perfectly smooth yet.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Here is a cool video I found on the 105, actually the AJ crew has a whole pile of awesome videos!!! This is very cool, and all this applies to the 115 / 123" as well. Beats the heck out of paper or downloaded manuals IMHO:

AJ Aircraft 105 Build Video Part #2 (39 min 7 sec)
Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by scottyb313
AJ Aircraft
United States, MI, Petersburg
Joined Sep 2013
518 Posts
Thank You terry

Scott
scottyb313 is offline Find More Posts by scottyb313
Old 03-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by brucolino
Joined Oct 2016
2 Posts
+1 Subscribed !!

Nice Build !!
brucolino is offline Find More Posts by brucolino
Old 03-24-2017, 12:26 AM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
OK, I'm going to do one post on my engine with an explanation and a disclaimer. My disclaimer is "Don't try this at home". Here's why......

- The 115" plane is absolutely perfectly set up for the DA150 and DA170 and even the engine I'm putting in would work with pull pull ruder.

- The longer cowl on the 123 is absolutely perfectly set up for the DA200 and DLE222 and I assume similar 200'ish cc quads.

I know most people are likely going to run DA, DLE engines and maybe some 3W. I just sold another 42% plane so I had the ZDZ180 on hand. I actually have 5 of these engines and they are the absolute reason I've gotten back into 40%+ airplanes. More or less the same weight as a 170 but with more power than the DLE222 and DA200.

So, I've weighed calculated and decided my complete setup which includes push-pull rudder in the tail instead of pull-pull. I know with the shorter firewall and pull-pull and proper battery placement the plane will balance beautifully because that is how Andrew flew the prototype. Only the canisters I have are slightly larger but they are super light......

SO.......with the power I want the "look" of the long cowl, long rudder and larger wings and my engine will make it look good and perform amazing.

PLEASE don't try this at home, I will tell you that the thrust angle is not an angle most can even measure. It is a three digit angle (X.XX degrees) so there is no way you are going to cut all these parts to make that happen safely. I also have .01" gap between the ARF engine box and the new engine box....just enough for a thin layer of epoxy. This is VERY critical to make this safe, accurate, etc. I will also note that I removed 6.5oz from the plane and only added 6 back (excluding adhesive) with very careful consideration to this.

So enough with the disclaimer......lets mount an engine so we can get on with the rest
Old 03-24-2017, 12:49 AM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Good news is my JMB cans will fit and for those looking to add cans it looks like 80mm drop may be the ticket. There is not a lot of extra room for mounting so I have a special set of JMB's coming my with that are slightly smaller O.D., a bit longer and rear dump. They are specifically designed for the H-9 Sukhoi with the ZDZ180. I know my friend Mark Dill is running that setup and he's super happy so I'm going to test how they fit this plane. Stay tuned for that early next week:
Old 03-24-2017, 02:33 AM
Find More Posts by CHUCK
TUCSON,AZ.
Joined Oct 2006
1,284 Posts
Dude
Awesome job
CHUCK is offline Find More Posts by CHUCK
Old 03-24-2017, 06:31 AM
Find More Posts by jms5599
United States, MO, High Ridge
Joined Feb 2009
973 Posts
That's awesome. Good job.
jms5599 is offline Find More Posts by jms5599
Old 03-24-2017, 06:43 AM
Find More Posts by flybaby505
AmericanSpectre
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2006
748 Posts
Box extension

Pm'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
Good news is my JMB cans will fit and for those looking to add cans it looks like 80mm drop may be the ticket. There is not a lot of extra room for mounting so I have a special set of JMB's coming my with that are slightly smaller O.D., a bit longer and rear dump. They are specifically designed for the H-9 Sukhoi with the ZDZ180. I know my friend Mark Dill is running that setup and he's super happy so I'm going to test how they fit this plane. Stay tuned for that early next week:
flybaby505 is offline Find More Posts by flybaby505

Quick Reply