logo
Old 02-25-2020, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by Andrew Campbell
Trader Rating: 43
United States, PA, Malvern
Joined Feb 2015
48 Posts
Trader Rating: 43
Several years ago I shipped a RTF trainer plane and it got to the buyer with a big old spear hole through the side, most likely from a pallet jack. Yep, I bought insurance. I filed a claim with UPS that same day and the buyer filed a claim with PayPal to refund his money. UPS ignored about six calls over the next month. When they did eventually pick up the phone I got their email and sent them photos of the box before and after it was shipped. Their claims rep said they wouldn’t accept responsibility because they didn’t pack the plane but they did agree to send someone out to inspect the damage. They took a while to call the buyer for an inspection but by that time he had gotten rid of it. Plane was gone, money was refunded, and a lesson learned to never ship again. I don’t know why this post was started or why anyone should be expected to ship something. Some people don’t have the time to build an elaborate box. Some tire kickers ask for shipping but don’t realize how much it costs and then bail. If you are going to ship something, I suggest you send it FedEx and have them pack it so any mishaps are undeniably their problem. For the really big expensive stuff, it ain’t worth the risk. Be willing to drive within a reasonable distance as a courtesy to your fellow hobbyists but as for shipping you might want to think twice.
Andrew Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Campbell
Last edited by Andrew Campbell; 02-25-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-25-2020, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Trader Rating: 96
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Years and years ago a good buddy of mine in PA received a beautiful MIBO A-10 all dolled up in scale detail in a crate that would do anyone proud.
Unfortunately one of the 'good folks' at a Forward Air Freight dock speared the crate.....but not in the long side IN THE SHORT SIDE!!!
We believe that the person was pushing the crate on the warehouse floor and when the crate stopped one of the forks went right through the side and smack into the beautiful fuselage, splitting it wide open.
Forward Air Freight put up a big fight about the cost of the airplane and said that they would ONLY pay for repair / repaint......bill for that came to over $5K.
So no matter how you package something there's always a way for someone to smash/mash/crash it!
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 02-25-2020, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
Trader Rating: 4
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
I have had a few planes shipped to me and it is 50/50 that it makes in unscathed. I have had them speared with a forklift, dropped, crushed, one even blown away in a wind storm off a loading dock then ran over on the freeway— yes that really happened.. If I am buying and I really want it I don’t care if the shipping is 7-800. But if I am selling something I don’t want to take the time to crate and haul to the freight depot. too much pain in the a$$ and a lot of risk of loss.
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 02-26-2020, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by onfiregrafx
Trader Rating: 12
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Nov 2013
458 Posts
Trader Rating: 12
Im offensive I guess... Thread closed
onfiregrafx is offline Find More Posts by onfiregrafx
Last edited by onfiregrafx; 02-29-2020 at 12:08 AM. Reason: No reason
Old 02-26-2020, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
Trader Rating: 11
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
Its a hassle at times and this seems like a worthless thread. Not singling out anyone here
(except the OP maybe) but isn't it the seller's right to not prefer to ship? End of silly discussion
for me. Now proceed...….
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 02-26-2020, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Trader Rating: 6
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
Sometimes it's just not worth it ...and sometimes the shipping cost can be no big deal. Example...I have a used airframe listed for an awesome deal at $275 but it don't sell because the shipping cost more than the airframe but if I sell a Jet for $5000 and $300 for shipping it sold right away. So sometimes it's just relative.
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 02-26-2020, 08:28 AM
Find More Posts by mlj3
Trader Rating: 76
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Nov 2008
33 Posts
Some folks will not ship anything small assembled plane, kit, arf kit, even had one guy refuse to ship a small enya engine ??
mlj3 is online now Find More Posts by mlj3
Old 02-26-2020, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by rcflyguy
Trader Rating: 1
workin on rollers!!!
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
2,203 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
If I don't want to ship, that's my decision. no amount of crying will change my mind.

Come get it, or move on.
rcflyguy is offline Find More Posts by rcflyguy
Old 02-26-2020, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Trader Rating: 8
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,508 Posts
Trader Rating: 8
Post #16 Andrew C. has some very good information in it. We stopped using UPS in our business because of their policy regarding insurance claims.
When it comes right down to it, it's shipping anything of high value can be risky. Insurance claims under the best of circumstances can be complicated and time consuming.
Take pictures of the packing and the box or crate so you can prove that the content was adequately protected. Advise the person receiving the package to inspect it carefully upon arrival and document any obvious damage to the driver right there on the spot.
Based on my experience with UPS, you can almost be assured that they will deny responsibility for damages and you will have to vigorously pursue them.
I don't blame sellers for wanting to avoid risk.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 02-26-2020, 10:21 AM
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
One other point....make sure you accurately describe the contents of the crate/box you're shipping. Some freight companies refuse to ship 'model airplanes/aircraft' or will charge an exorbitant amount for insurance simply because.
And if you don't and something happens be prepared for a denial of any insurance claim should 'something happen'
Old 02-26-2020, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by mlj3
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Nov 2008
33 Posts
Got Ya Thanks for the info Mr. Campbell I understand
mlj3 is online now Find More Posts by mlj3
Old 02-27-2020, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by scale only 4 me
Trader Rating: 15
It's Hooty Tooty Here?
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
Most people in this hobby these days barely have the skill to properly assemble a 95% built plane,, you really expect them to have to tools and ability to actually build something from scratch?,,, even something as simple as a box,,

I agree it's not hard,,, but I've been building things since I was a kid, I don't run around assuming everyone has the same skills, tools and a place to build as I do, Because I know most don't,,, If the ad says will not ship,, I just assume they don't have the skill or a way to do it properly and respect their decisions and move on,,

Crying about not getting the toy you want and calling people names says more about the name caller than the guy not wanting to go through the trouble of shipping a toy airplane
scale only 4 me is offline Find More Posts by scale only 4 me
Old 02-27-2020, 09:41 AM
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
Most people in this hobby these days barely have the skill to properly assemble a 95% built plane,, you really expect them to have to tools and ability to actually build something from scratch?,,, even something as simple as a box,,

I agree it's not hard,,, but I've been building things since I was a kid, I don't run around assuming everyone has the same skills, tools and a place to build as I do, Because I know most don't,,, If the ad says will not ship,, I just assume they don't have the skill or a way to do it properly and respect their decisions and move on,,

Crying about not getting the toy you want and calling people names says more about the name caller than the guy not wanting to go through the trouble of shipping a toy airplane
Old 02-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
United States, NY, Wading River
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts
Been on both sides of this conversation. I see stuff all the time I want, but it's never in my neck of the woods. It's a bummer, but I move on because I've also shipped large planes (40%, jets etc) and know the hassle.
It begins with getting the seller to agree to pay all the shipping charges which include My time, materials, shipping and insurance rates. I don't work for free and don't expect anyone else to either. So if someone agrees to pay all those costs (which they never do), then can reasonably understand that they will not get the plane by the end of the week because I work full time and may not get around to building the crate till the weekend and then not be able to get it to the freight forwarder till the following weekend, then and only then will I agree to ship something.

So yes, unless it's a NIB plane or something small, I am not offering shipping.

Flame suit on.
JeeUm is offline Find More Posts by JeeUm
Old 02-27-2020, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Trader Rating: 0
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Honestly I don’t ship planes because it’s not worth the trouble to build the crate or box to ship it in. Time, materials, and shipping cost adds up. In AZ it’s not too hard to sale locally.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid

Quick Reply