logo
Old 03-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by Diablo2006
www.freestyle-rc.co.uk
Norfolk - United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2006
231 Posts
How to - transfer from plans to foam?

If you get a set of plans for a model (foam in particular) then how do you cut out your depron from the plan? Do you cut out part of the plan (ordinary rag paper printout) and then tack it with a water soluble glue?

cheers,
George
Diablo2006 is offline Find More Posts by Diablo2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by Mudsurfer1234
Glow fuel sucks!
United States, PA, Bechtelsville
Joined Jan 2006
615 Posts
Re: How to - transfer from plans to foam?

A friend and I printed tiled plans off the internet and cut out each piece from the paper, then just used a little bit of spray adhesive, by spraying it on newspaper, and then putting it around the edges of the paper with a paint brush, then cut out around the paper with a hobby knife. long story short, make templates out of the plans and cut around em.
Mudsurfer1234 is offline Find More Posts by Mudsurfer1234
Old 03-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts

Or carbon paper and trace.
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Old 03-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by OverTemp
No Matter
Joined Jan 2006
699 Posts

I saw an idea in some hobby magazine... go to Walmart or some general store and buy some disposable cutting boards... they are flimsyish clear plastic. Put them over the plans and trace the outline onto the cutting board. Then, cut your templates out of the cutting board. Whala, permanant templates. Just lay these on the foam and cut around them.
OverTemp is offline Find More Posts by OverTemp
Old 03-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by wizard
It will fly!!!
Washington, Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
13,374 Posts

What I do is make a copy of the plans. Most of the plans I use are tiled plans off the net. I print them out use tape to assemble the plans. I then cut the different parts of the plan close to the outline on the paper. Next I lay out the pieces on my sheet of foam to find the best use of the foam. I then take the pieces of the plan, one by one, turn them upside down on a piece of newspaper. Use a cheap spray glue like the blue can of Duro spray glue. Spray a light mist of glue on the part and put it back on the foam. Yes, glue it straight to the foam. Cut out the pieces with an exacto, right through the plan. Peel the paper off the foam. If you just use a light mist of glue the plan will come very easy. If there is any glue left on the foam, lighter fluid will take it off with no problems.

I print a new set of plans every time. It takes a little more paper but I know that I have not added errors making a template.
wizard is offline Find More Posts by wizard
Last edited by wizard; 03-08-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by MetHerInBaghdad
Cheaper than Botox
San Diego
Joined Jan 2006
786 Posts

My method is to simply lay the plan over the foam I plan to cut, put a few pins through it and cut the plan as I cut the foam. I have used the same set of plans now to make three planes. No special glue needed, or even tape...just stick pins. For a cutting surface I use a piece of cardboard over some plywood to keep mama's table from getting 'initiated'.

Only really special trick... keep a VERY sharp blade. Expect to change blades about 3 times per plane. A dull blade will drag through and tear up your plane.
MetHerInBaghdad is offline Find More Posts by MetHerInBaghdad

Quick Reply