logo
Old 03-18-2011, 12:56 AM
Find More Posts by Ara Tidwell
Aralien
Joined Nov 2006
412 Posts
Discussion
DX8 vs JR X9503

I am not in the market for a new radio, I am very happy with my X9503, however I have a friend who is about to finish his 33% H9 Cap and needs a new radio. I told him to go to his local hobby shop and buy what ever radio fits best in his hand. He says he is fond of JR though.

Can people who have experience with both radios add their comments to help make his decision a little easier?
Ara Tidwell is offline Find More Posts by Ara Tidwell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-18-2011, 01:09 AM
Find More Posts by hughsey
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2010
742 Posts
Re: DX8 vs JR X9503

Personally i prefer the JR, the Spektrum just feels cheaply made and a bit trailer trash for my liking and if that makes sense, do not take it the wrong way as it is just an observation. I also think the screen is a bit small for my taste and I do not really like the way it feels in my hands.

The JR in my opinion just feels like a much more professional unit, I have Futaba and JR radios and the JR in my opinion is the much better made of the two, the Futaba probably has the better operating software with FHSS.

I do not own a DX8 and I am not really interested in telemetry, but i have flown and test flown planes for people with the DX8, I have also helped people with programming and the dam screen is a problem for me.

Ultimately though it is all personal preference but if it were me I would stick to JR or Futaba unless funding is a problem.
hughsey is offline Find More Posts by hughsey
Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by dick hanson
murray utah
Joined Jan 2006
2,494 Posts

Having used JR/SPEKTRUM for almost 30 years -I really feel the DX8 is the all around best setup I have used
This includes all of the 10 channel JR -9 channels - DX7 etc..
nuthin cheap feeling about it - and it is really easy to use . I sold both of my 9303 /x9303 radios and DX7s -
The balance and weight is "just right" -for me-I fly with a neck strap or a tray for glider. hand held for put put stuff.
dick hanson is offline Find More Posts by dick hanson
Old 03-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by michaelJH
Team Extreme!
High Prarie, Wa
Joined Mar 2010
810 Posts

I have owened both Spektrum and JR radio's and personally like the JR best. I love my 9503 and am happy with the programming. For some reason, Spektrum radio's feel like cheap junk that could fall apart anytime. No bashing intended, I am just saying what they feel like to me... Both will de the job though.
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Old 05-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by OZSamE
Joined Jan 2011
641 Posts
I agree with Michael and Hughsey, having owned JR and Spektrum, IMHO the JR is much better quality, the spektrum look and feel like plastic fantastic. Deal breaker for me with my DX7 was that there was no throttle curve, the deal breaker for the DX8 is the pots issue.

Sorry dick but the DX8 just feel cheap, especially when compared to a Futaba, JR, Airtronics or even a Hitec.

Hughsey, have to disagree on the funding issue, the Futaba 8FG is probably the best value for money radio on the planet!!

p.s. Dont own a Futaba, but my friends do, DX9 man myself!!
OZSamE is offline Find More Posts by OZSamE
Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by Hoosier06
United States, IN, Highland
Joined Jan 2006
616 Posts
Pots issue? When does it come, new or alot of use? Just bought one but never heard of this issue before. Is this problem verified by Spektrum or from users experience? Thanks. What happens when you have a pot issue?
Hoosier06 is offline Find More Posts by Hoosier06
Old 05-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404818

The stick centers but the control surface doesn't.
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 05-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by OZSamE
Joined Jan 2011
641 Posts
My mates Radio had the pot issue from brand new, he sent it back and the distributor replaced it with a Futaba.
OZSamE is offline Find More Posts by OZSamE
Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts
personaly for me the dx line of radios feel cheap. they dont use jr boxes anymore and thats because they are not made by or apart of jr. they are a line of horizon radios. i like the feel of jr. i have owned almost every radio jr has made and this 11x is one of the best. but as others have stated get what you feel compy with, and try and get what others at your field are using if new to this game as they can save you alot of time learning the radio
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 05-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by dick hanson
murray utah
Joined Jan 2006
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZSamE View Post
My mates Radio had the pot issue from brand new, he sent it back and the distributor replaced it with a Futaba.
He replaced the pot with a Futaba?
interesting
price sounds about right.
dick hanson is offline Find More Posts by dick hanson

Quick Reply