logo
Old 08-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Nice thinking with the exhaust extension.
The plane looks fantastic! Do try to post some video soon

Congrats on your maiden!
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by yakdriver
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
Here was our solution for the N3N. The owner had a trucking company and this was a stack from a semi. Whenever I hadn't flown the SNJ for awhile one of us would hold a 5 gallon bucket behind the stack on start up.
yakdriver is offline Find More Posts by yakdriver
Old 08-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by Jaketab
Escape From Gravity!
United States, WV, Charleston
Joined Aug 2007
754 Posts
Got 3 flights on the SNJ Harvard yesterday. Added 1 ounce to the tail and the balance was near perfect. Was able to reduce the up elevator. Landed very nice.

I used the temporary exhaust stack for start up. The sound change of the exhaust note was incredible. It sounded more like a full scale radial engine. Sorry still no good video. Hope to have video about August 19.
The exhaust residue was almost non present - meaning the engine is getting run in.
Jaketab is offline Find More Posts by Jaketab
Old 08-05-2019, 03:29 PM
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
Do you feel the Moki has excessive power?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Escape From Gravity!
Joined Aug 2007
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdriver View Post
Do you feel the Moki has excessive power?
No, but very respectable for a scale plane of this size.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:30 AM
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
Thanks Jake, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to power mine with.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
Woo Hoo Mine shipped yesterday! Did yours come in on this shipment Renegade? Should be building next week. Someone was talking about the cockpit kit earlier. I talked to Ray Labonte about it. I told him I thought a $900 was a little excessive. I don't think the forward framework and dishpan need to be in it as they are completely covered up. The cockpit should be
easy to do with Iflytallies parts and dowel to replicate the structure in the cockpit area. This airplane deserves a detailed cockpit. Now to find a pilot that looks like me at age 35.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Feb 2016
456 Posts
Quote:
Have they updated you at all? Mine is supposed to be in the next shipment also.

No update recently but about 2-3 weeks ago I was told there is an August container leaving and I believe my plane would be on it.
Renegadeflyer is offline Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
Old 08-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Feb 2016
456 Posts
Quote:
Woo Hoo Mine shipped yesterday! Did yours come in on this shipment Renegade? Should be building next week. Someone was talking about the cockpit kit earlier. I talked to Ray Labonte about it. I told him I thought a $900 was a little excessive. I don't think the forward framework and dishpan need to be in it as they are completely covered up. The cockpit should be
easy to do with Iflytallies parts and dowel to replicate the structure in the cockpit area. This airplane deserves a detailed cockpit. Now to find a pilot that looks like me at age 35.
The cockpit is actually $1000 I believe. But, its all there, complete, just drop in. I have a buddy that spent months and several hundred dollars making up his own cockpit, I definitely don't have that kind of time so I will probably end up purchasing it.

How do you know that it shipped, did you get updated? When you say shipped, is that put in a container or landed in USA and being delivered?
Renegadeflyer is offline Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
Old 08-10-2019, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by A350
Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined Aug 2019
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketab View Post
Maiden flights today at Butler Airfield in Summersville, WV. Home of Wally’s Squadron Fly In. Truly one of the best annual fly in events in the east. (August 14 – 17, 2019)

I found the plane to be nose heavy – based on the CG reading taken from the Xicoy CG Balancer. The pic of the elevator shows how much up elevator it required for level flight. To confirm this – when flying inverted 45 degree up-line at full throttle, the plane arcs downward to the canopy. A slight rearward repositioning of the batteries will correct

Regards - Jaketab
Jaketab, could you please share the values from the CG balancer that you ended up with after repositioning the batteries ? Would be a great help !

Regards Thomas
A350 is offline Find More Posts by A350
Old 08-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegadeflyer View Post
The cockpit is actually $1000 I believe. But, its all there, complete, just drop in. I have a buddy that spent months and several hundred dollars making up his own cockpit, I definitely don't have that kind of time so I will probably end up purchasing it.

How do you know that it shipped, did you get updated? When you say shipped, is that put in a container or landed in USA and being delivered?
Talked to Ray and made the final payment on it and it shipped from their facility in California Thursday. I should have it mid week. I'll let you know when it arrives. I bought the gear a couple of months ago because I know how Darrell is at Sierra. Got it right away so it is in hand. I ordered a tailwheel for my Oscar several months ago and haven't seen it but it will show up one of these days. The gear is beautiful except the tailwheel isn't scale at all. Just has a cheesy looking Sullivan tire on it. The full scale has a flat tread with square corners. Carf's Corsair and Mustang would use the same tire so if they made a mold it could be used on all of them.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by spookyeng
Kelhar Designs
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Jun 2006
995 Posts
Quote:
Talked to Ray and made the final payment on it and it shipped from their facility in California Thursday. I should have it mid week. I'll let you know when it arrives. I bought the gear a couple of months ago because I know how Darrell is at Sierra. Got it right away so it is in hand. I ordered a tailwheel for my Oscar several months ago and haven't seen it but it will show up one of these days. The gear is beautiful except the tailwheel isn't scale at all. Just has a cheesy looking Sullivan tire on it. The full scale has a flat tread with square corners. Carf's Corsair and Mustang would use the same tire so if they made a mold it could be used on all of them.
Great to hear that your kit is coming Don! Looking forward to seeing it! Let me know if you need anything made!
spookyeng is offline Find More Posts by spookyeng
Old 08-10-2019, 10:49 PM
Joined Jun 2019
64 Posts
Any way to make a scale tire? This will give you an excuse to come over and see it.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:02 AM
Escape From Gravity!
Joined Aug 2007
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350 View Post
Jaketab, could you please share the values from the CG balancer that you ended up with after repositioning the batteries ? Would be a great help !

Regards Thomas
Thomas,

I did not move the batteries, but added 1 ounce inside the tailwheel cover. Using the weight of the plane in post #43 and with the planes wings leveled at 0 degrees, will give you the following approximate.

LF = 23.40
RF = 23.39
TW = 4.35

I have not had the plane back on the balancer. I have since installed the light kit and the left side intake duct. I will be flying again by Wednesday.
If you have a CARF Texan and can provide me with the 3 weights, I can calculate the C/G for you.

BTW - I installed a louver vent on the underbody to for better ventilation.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:31 AM
Find More Posts by A350
Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined Aug 2019
16 Posts
Thanks Jaketab,
I’ve the same balancer as you and it would be easy to duplicate. My AT-6 is in the production line as we speak, hopefully I’ll see it next month. Enjoying your thread and trying to collect as many tricks as possible prior to my own plane arrives.
A350 is offline Find More Posts by A350

Quick Reply