logo
Old 11-27-2016, 12:39 AM
Find More Posts by MarkU1967
United States, IN, Chesterton
Joined Sep 2016
422 Posts
Discussion
Which Gasoline are you using survey

OK so I was wondering which gasoline you guys are using in your favorite 2 Stroke Engines and why?

I'll start:

I own a DA-70 Twin a couple DLE 20's and a DLE 55 and have been using VP 4 Stroke Gasoline (94 octane, no alcohol) mixed with Redline oil at 40:1. I buy it by the case and its not cheap, but I like it.

Why? Well because the DA recommends 91 octane or better. I think its better to use non alcohol gas and you cant get that at the pump. Also, the high octane pump gas like 91 to 93 octane also contain alcohol and since the last few years, the price difference in 87, 89 and 91 (better known as Regular Grade, Midgrade and Premium Grade) has not been 10 cents as it used to be. I have seen Regular Grade gas go for say $2.00 a gallon and Premium Grade go for almost a dollar more. To me, that means that the average consumer will not pay the extra for premium, so it will sit in the ground getting old and bad especially with the alcohol in it. So pay a lot of money for crapy old gas. Nope. So I refuse to buy that crap gas and put it into my RC Plane engines.

Also, the VP gas does not smell like gas. So if I spill some in my vehicle, it doesn't leave that horrible gasoline smell.

How about the rest of you????

Mark
MarkU1967 is offline Find More Posts by MarkU1967
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-27-2016, 01:33 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
your logic is a bit flawed. the so called average consumer pays the difference for premium if whatever he or she is driving is tuned for 91 or higher octane, and that's an awful lot of vehicles. It is not available as an "upgrade" for people who are using 87. You can run 87 in DAs without any problems if you are concerned that the local 91 is stale.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 11-27-2016, 05:59 AM
Find More Posts by lc39tech
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Oct 2009
103 Posts
You need to know what the compression ratio for your engine is. If it is greater than 11:1, you need 91 octane. If it is lower, you can run 87 all day. The ethanol blend is a separate issue. If non-ethanol is available in your area, it's a no brainer to use it.
lc39tech is offline Find More Posts by lc39tech
Old 11-27-2016, 06:21 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
Sure can tell the winter is here.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 11-27-2016, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by Harold Smith
United States, TX, Chandler
Joined Dec 2009
874 Posts
I run 93 octane Chevron or Shell.---Smitty
Harold Smith is offline Find More Posts by Harold Smith
Old 11-27-2016, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
I use whatever gas, literally, it doesn't matter......Its what I have used for maybe ten years and
redline 64-1 (2 oz per gallon). I never worry about where I buy gas and my DA motors don't
either. I have owned multiples of every engine they sell and will never waste my money on
VP gas. Its a big waste of money. My engines perform well and last for years w/o maintenance.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 11-27-2016, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by Venson
Just Flying Around
United States, NC, Fayetteville
Joined Sep 2014
12 Posts
I use Sunoco GT Race Fuel.. 100 octane an mixed with AMSOIL DOMINATOR Synthetic 2-Stroke Racing Oil @ 45:1.
Not sure of any performance advantage, but if you spill some or get it on your hands or clothes the smell is gone almost instantly. i've been running this fuel for years..Never had any issues at all..
I do remove the unburned fuel from the tank, but i have never ran the carb. dry. Racing fuel also stores very good. Hardly ever goes bad
Venson is offline Find More Posts by Venson
Old 11-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by 3ddave
United States, MN, Eagan
Joined Jun 2008
170 Posts
91 octane non oxygenated and Stihl Ultra HP 40:1
3ddave is offline Find More Posts by 3ddave
Last edited by 3ddave; 11-30-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by jetmech05
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2009
166 Posts
I'm running ethanol free 89 octane Mixed 40:1 with redline In my DA 100 and 170
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old 11-27-2016, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by as722
Pennsyvania
Joined Jan 2006
1,592 Posts
What ever I can get.
as722 is offline Find More Posts by as722
Old 11-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts
89 octane ethanol free
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Old 11-27-2016, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
If I could find a premium non-ethanol, I'd run it because I do believe alcohol hardens the (Tygon) fuel lines. After years of chasing 100LL Avgas and 87 octane non-ethanol, I've decided to plumb my lines inside the tank with Viton and simply run the gas Desert Aircraft recommends. But having said that, we all gotta do what we gotta do.... Good luck with whatever you choose.
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 11-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
Auto Gas (93 OCT), No Alcohol $4.30 /gal with Stihl 50:1
ghoffman is online now Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 11-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by MarkU1967
United States, IN, Chesterton
Joined Sep 2016
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
your logic is a bit flawed. the so called average consumer pays the difference for premium if whatever he or she is driving is tuned for 91 or higher octane, and that's an awful lot of vehicles. It is not available as an "upgrade" for people who are using 87. You can run 87 in DAs without any problems if you are concerned that the local 91 is stale.
Thank you for your reply FGN. While I appreciate your reply I don't think your are correct about you opinion regarding the tuned to 91 octane vehicles. I only say this since I know for a fact that my Jeep Grsnd Cherokee overland requires 91 or better for best performance. If however the owner chooses not to use higher octane gas then they don't have to. The vrhiclrs computer utilized engine knock sensors, O2 sensors and a bunch of other technology to compensate for best engine performance. I have observed this in my Jeep and feel the difference in the engines behavior. Further, I think you missed the point of my question. You added absolutely nothing to the conversation. That's your right though. Thanks again for your reply.
Mark
MarkU1967 is offline Find More Posts by MarkU1967
Old 11-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
I will get fuel from a local high volume gas station. Usually 91 octane because i run tuned pipes. This myth about the 10% ethanol causing issues in our engines is just that, a myth. You let your engine sit for a while the gasoline and ethanol will evaporate out of the carb. I have ran thousands of gallons of E10 gasoline through my 2 stroke engines and even after sitting for a few years my engines still fire up as normal and run fine. As an example, this year i started my jetski after sitting since 2014 with a mostly full tank of fuel. I wanted to get rid of that gas and decided to not fill up with fresh fuel. My engine had no problems running 64 mph at 7000 rpm for most of the day. Not bad for fuel that is over a year old. My other ski sat for 2 years untill this year. Same experience. I think more people have issues with tuning than actual fuel issues. They just blame it on the gas.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951

Quick Reply