logo
Old 04-03-2020, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by Andrew Campbell
United States, PA, Malvern
Joined Feb 2015
48 Posts
Build Log
30cc Valiant Build

Im glad I have a build to work on during this quarantine and figured I would post some pics in case anyone was interested in buying and building one. I took some cues from Tom Hintz at Flyingrc.net and his How To YouTube videos. Nice guy and responded to a couple emails I sent with questions.

As far as the build, its all new stuff:

Hitec 5645 digital metal geared servos with 168 oz torque at 6 volts. Im running two 2S 3,000 mAh LiFe packs so maybe I get a little more torque. The Valiant manual calls for Spektrum A6180 servos with 94 oz of torque so these Hitecs should do very well.

DLE40 twin engine. I went with the twin because Ive had great success with DLE60 and 120cc twins. Also it fits with a minimal amount of cowl cutting. Only the spark plug caps stick out. Ill send some pics once I cut the cowl.

Spektrum 12 channel power safe receiver

Tech Aero Ultra IBEC powers the ignition from an extra channel on the receiver. I really love these things because I dont have to use an ignition battery.

Fourtitude 16 oz fuel tank

4-40 Dubro Safety Lock Kwik Connect for linkages because the included metal clevises felt way too loose on the pushrods.

Falcon carbon prop

Dual aileron harnesses for easy plug and go.

I will update this post as the build continues but its coming together nicely. Ill be covering some wires with mesh sleeves but the interior is just about done. Now onto the wings...
Andrew Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Campbell
Last edited by Andrew Campbell; 04-04-2020 at 06:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-03-2020, 11:23 PM
Find More Posts by Swampflier
Costa Rica, San Jos Province, San Jos
Joined Feb 2007
243 Posts
Looks like it'll be a very nice bird when finished!!
Swampflier is offline Find More Posts by Swampflier
Old 04-04-2020, 07:14 AM
Joined Feb 2015
48 Posts
Aileron and Flap Servo Mounts

Here is a shot of the back of an aileron mounting plate. You can see where I applied some two-part 30 minute epoxy to the connection points. Some people drive a screw into the wood for added security but I wouldnt recommend it for this plane. There is no thick wood to screw into, just several small pieces of wood glued together. Driving a screw into the wood for this particular model could separate the pieces and weaken the mount. Using some strong epoxy and patience is really all you need.

Gravity pulls the epoxy down so do one side at a time. When it dries, flip it 180 degrees and do the other side.
Last edited by Andrew Campbell; 04-04-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:25 AM
Joined Feb 2015
48 Posts
Hinging the Flaps

This part is very easy and needs little explanation.

The other thing to remember is to cut one side of the hinge to 1 inch so it doesn’t poke up out of the covering. I actually melt petroleum jelly to liquid form and dip the hinge pin in that liquid oil so epoxy doesn’t get get into the hinge, stress it, and cause an eventual failure. The liquid really lets it get in there rather than smearing it on the outside. It doesn’t take much heat to melt Vaseline. Dab some epoxy in each hole as you go, swipe some on the hinge arm, and pop it in. Dip a paper towel in some alcohol and wipe the area clean. In a pinch you can use vodka. I hate to waste good alcohol but it’s only a tiny bit. Once they dry I’ll go ahead and install on the wing.
Last edited by Andrew Campbell; 04-04-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:56 AM
Joined Feb 2015
48 Posts
Window Install

I rough up the outer edges of each plastic window where they contact the fuse so the glue has something to grip. Other than that make sure you use strong canopy glue and coat the surface evenly but do not overdo it or the glue will smush out and make a mess when you install the windows. Secure tightly and evenly with masking tape inside and out of the fuse. This is not rocket science but needs to be done right. If you lose a window out in tall grass chances are youll never find it! Lastly, keep some alcohol and a cloth or paper towel on the side and dampen one with alcohol. Go to each window and rub it clean with alcohol to remove any glue or finger smudges and gently dry with the other cloth.

Start from the rear and work your way forward. Wait until the windows all dry before installing the windshield. That way you can use the front hole to reach in and remove masking tape if you want. Some people just leave tape on there for added security.
Last edited by Andrew Campbell; 04-06-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:22 PM
Joined Feb 2015
48 Posts
Cutting the Cowl

Measure twice, cut once? How about measure twice, drill a tiny hole and bore it out slowly until its just right? This job is super easy once you get the cowl bolted on. Then take off the cowl and measure key points like the spark plug caps and where the wire needs to come out. Use those bolt holes as a reference. Like I said, cut small because you can always cut more until its right. I use a sanding drum on the dremel and then install rubber grommets. The grommets are in the mail! Also, I ordered two DLE teflon muffler extensions and clamps so the muffler holes need to be slightly larger to accept the clamps. I dont stress my cowls by stretching them around spark plugs, mufflers, and spark plug caps. Instead put the cowl on and then add those items. Its way less stressful for you and makes for a cleaner install.
Last edited by Andrew Campbell; 04-07-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply