logo
Old 03-05-2019, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by Adam Stang
Joined Mar 2019
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwright View Post
Talon 120 ESC with latest firmware, and high timing is being used with the Rimfire 65CC. We've flown it with a mix of Xoar and APC props , covering everything from 19 to 26 inch, with pitches of 10 and 12. We're using the Talon's BEC,.. so no seperate battery for the radio. Ali likes the 24X10 as best overall, and the 22X12 comes in second. for what you want, i'd suggest the 22X12. You'll be able to pull the left stick a lot further back in cruise mode, like driving down the highway at 70 in 5th gear rather than 4th. going much smaller than that will of course decrease the amps you see on the ground, but you'll be at higher throttle in the air due to the lower thrust of the "small" prop. Flight time can actually go down due to that. Static current readings dont' tell the whole story.

multiple props were used on the D7 of various sizes, so there isn't a single "scale size" for prop.
That is excellent information to have! Thank you very much Gary.
Adam Stang is offline Find More Posts by Adam Stang
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-07-2019, 11:21 AM
Joined Mar 2019
56 Posts
Question for Gary/Ali...

Based on what you said (Gary) about the prop size for what I intend to do what size would you go with if my options are limited? I want to get the Xoar Axial WWI style prop. The sizes available close to what you suggested are-

22x10, 23x8, 23x10, 24x6, and 24x8.

They don't make a 22x12 or Ali's favorite 24x10 in the Axial style prop.

I can get a 24x10 in a painted Sabre, but they don't make/have anything in the Xoar WWI series that is 22x12. I am looking at Justmodelprops.com.

Also...I got my Rimfire 65cc motor in yesterday (planning ahead!) What a hoss!! I did notice it has a pinch style collet prop adapter!?? Is that acceptable for a prop this big and that much torque?? I'm kind of surprised its not a bolt on adapter.

Thanks!

Adam
Last edited by Adam Stang; 03-07-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by gwright
Product Developer Hangar 9
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Feb 2006
52 Posts
From your list,.. 23X10 woud be best.

collet is fine. Much prefer collets they always run perfectly true unless they're bent.

My records show we only saw 76 amps with that prop on 12S, static, average was 36 amps in flight. 22X12 was 10 amps less static, but only 2 amps less average during flight. I've ran that motor at almost double that power level in other things,.. collet was no problem.

Keep in mind those numbers were during testing,.. and the throttle stick was not exactly being treated very kind.
gwright is offline Find More Posts by gwright
Site Sponsor
Old 03-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Joined Mar 2019
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwright View Post
From your list,.. 23X10 woud be best.

collet is fine. Much prefer collets they always run perfectly true unless they're bent.

My records show we only saw 76 amps with that prop on 12S, static, average was 36 amps in flight. 22X12 was 10 amps less static, but only 2 amps less average during flight. I've ran that motor at almost double that power level in other things,.. collet was no problem.

Keep in mind those numbers were during testing,.. and the throttle stick was not exactly being treated very kind.

Gary,

Thanks for the great info! So nice to get detailed responses from guys that take...and keep notes! Thats awesome!! 23x10 it is!
Old 03-08-2019, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by kevinperry
Ingersoll,Ontario,Canada
Joined Jan 2006
2 Posts
Looking forward to this plane , I have one ordered through my local hobby shop! What is the eta of the Fokker being in ?
kevinperry is offline Find More Posts by kevinperry
Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar 9
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinperry View Post
Looking forward to this plane , I have one ordered through my local hobby shop! What is the eta of the Fokker being in ?
Thank you for the order. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am?
First shipment has arrived and should be heading out to the early pre orders as we speak.
The first shipment did sell out, but we ordered another production run as soon as we could. I expect that order to be with us in May.

Regards Ali

P.S I am sorry., I do not have means to see if your order made it onto the first batch.
Ali Machinchy is offline Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Old 03-11-2019, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by horsefeetky
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Jul 2015
102 Posts
im thinking this is the new norm in our hobby that we shall see very little stocking of large items like this arf and we will be forced to deal with pre orders and wait constantly. not sure what the saturation level of the market is for such a plane but it does seem most all companies are doing things in this manner now. i do know china can ramp up a build of balsa framed planes much more than the full compsit gliders they make so in this case one day there may be planes in stock to order when the itch hits me. until then i just dont do the waiting game well. just how i feel about a hobby. it is to be enjoyed when the itch hits and often waiting takes the fun out of it for me. for some it makes them overly happy when the order is filled and they get hands on the plane. by then i have already spent my funds another direction and may even be flying that option by the time the pre orders get filled.

glad to see a ww1 enter the arf giant market though. it does stand out as an only option in this case.....bring back some of those great planes wwi birds that left us wanting more. look at the prices for an untouched arf and im sure the market is ready for a v2 of those planes with doors or hatches for battery access
horsefeetky is offline Find More Posts by horsefeetky
Old 03-11-2019, 11:13 AM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefeetky View Post
im thinking this is the new norm in our hobby that we shall see very little stocking of large items like this arf and we will be forced to deal with pre orders and wait constantly. not sure what the saturation level of the market is for such a plane but it does seem most all companies are doing things in this manner now. i do know china can ramp up a build of balsa framed planes much more than the full compsit gliders they make so in this case one day there may be planes in stock to order when the itch hits me. until then i just dont do the waiting game well. just how i feel about a hobby. it is to be enjoyed when the itch hits and often waiting takes the fun out of it for me. for some it makes them overly happy when the order is filled and they get hands on the plane. by then i have already spent my funds another direction and may even be flying that option by the time the pre orders get filled.

glad to see a ww1 enter the arf giant market though. it does stand out as an only option in this case.....bring back some of those great planes wwi birds that left us wanting more. look at the prices for an untouched arf and im sure the market is ready for a v2 of those planes with doors or hatches for battery access

This actually has nothing to do with the number of our PO'S placed. If the factory could have made them, we have placed enough orders to have doubled the pre orders made by customers.
The issue here was the Asian new year celebrations. We took every single D7 the factory could make before they shut down for the month of February.
We looked at the GP DR1. I killed it in favor of the D7 because it is a much more solid and versatile a flying platform. Who knows. We might re visit the WW1 thing in the future? As of now. Its onto trying to generate "other" RC Itches that need scratching.

Regards Ali
Old 03-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by RappyMan
Help - I like helicopters
United States, IA, Elk Horn
Joined Jan 2006
1,353 Posts
Hi Ali
Very happy to see the DVII in ARF form and it looks great. I just built a BUSA 1/4 scale DVII a year ago and love how it looks in the air. Should have lots of "friends" flying with the H9 version and may have just bought one of them if the choice was there a year ago. I like the wing mounting you've done versus the BUSA.
You will have to sneak in another WW1 plane - an allied version so there will be more dogfights at events ☺
RappyMan is offline Find More Posts by RappyMan
Old 03-12-2019, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by loop an roll
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Jan 2006
207 Posts
Wish i ordered one from 1st batch
loop an roll is offline Find More Posts by loop an roll
Old 03-13-2019, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by RickVB
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Apr 2008
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Machinchy View Post
... First shipment has arrived and should be heading out to the early pre orders as we speak...
Ali, can you speak to whether Tower is getting any of the first shipment? Or did I screw myself by not ordering from Horizon...?
RickVB is offline Find More Posts by RickVB
Old 03-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
United States, OH, Oak Harbor
Joined Sep 2016
25 Posts
I just called to see if I was in the first batch. They said the first shipment hasn’t arrived yet and got delayed till April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Machinchy View Post
Thank you for the order. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am?
First shipment has arrived and should be heading out to the early pre orders as we speak.
The first shipment did sell out, but we ordered another production run as soon as we could. I expect that order to be with us in May.

Regards Ali

P.S I am sorry., I do not have means to see if your order made it onto the first batch.
T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 AM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Hartigan View Post
I just called to see if I was in the first batch. They said the first shipment hasn’t arrived yet and got delayed till April.
Sorry. There must be crossed wires? I am looking at the first shipment getting ready to leave the warehouse.

I can only assume that whoever you spoke to misread the info and saw that your order did not make the first one and was on batch two which is due in April?

Regards Ali
Old 03-18-2019, 12:54 AM
Find More Posts by RickVB
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Apr 2008
76 Posts
Ali, did you see my question? Do you know if Tower got any of the first batch?
RickVB is offline Find More Posts by RickVB
Old 03-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickVB View Post
Ali, did you see my question? Do you know if Tower got any of the first batch?
Sorry Rick. I was awaiting a response from the Tower team.

Tower took 24 of the first batch.

Hope this helps?

Regards Ali

Quick Reply