logo
Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by privatepilot03
Joined Aug 2014
10 Posts
Discussion
Slow roll rate

This is directly pattern related so I apologize if I'm in the wrong place..

I have a 73" Edge 540 that's still pretty new that doesn't roll all that well. I have about 40 degrees of aileron travel on high rates, so I don't think it's not enough throw. I have a similar size Yak that has twice the roll rate on less travel so I'm a bit confused.

Is there such a thing as too much travel? I've tried low rates on this plane and it just rolls slower yet. It's not terribly slow to be clear, just not nearly as fast as I'd expect.

Thanks in advance.
privatepilot03 is offline Find More Posts by privatepilot03
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by Chris Johnson
Salinas California
Joined Feb 2007
161 Posts
you may be getting "blowback". Does it roll more quickly when you slow down & apply full aileron? At that degree of deflection it should definitely roll briskly. stronger servos might do the trick.
Chris Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Chris Johnson
Old 08-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by privatepilot03
Joined Aug 2014
10 Posts
Roll rate doesn't improve with slower speeds that I've noticed. I'm running dual HS5624MG digital servos. I have the same ones in the Yak that rolls so well.
privatepilot03 is offline Find More Posts by privatepilot03
Old 10-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by CrazyIvan59
Flyin' Around
Joined Jul 2013
9 Posts
Try some Ailevator mix if you've got split elevators with independent servos. Helped a-lot on my Laser. At your full aileron input the elevators should be helping the roll with only about 3-5 degrees of "aileron like" deflection on the independent elevators. It's very much alike elevons on a flying wing, the mix works perfectly I use it every time, maiden voyage and all. just 3-5 degrees looks like nothing especially with 1/4 or less aileron inputs but "it's a difference"; believe and go from there. Hope I helped!
CrazyIvan59 is offline Find More Posts by CrazyIvan59
Old 10-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Feb 2008
2,090 Posts
How large are the ailerons in relation to the wing chord. If the ailerons are small there will be less lift force for the roll. Also something to consider is Aileron Stall. At very high deflection angles the aileron can stall just like a wing. When this happens the rotational force it exerts drops off considerably and would decease your roll rate. In all likelihood the difference in roll you are seeing is most likely due to differences in wing and aileron design between your Yak and an Edge. Thus if your are not experiencing blow back and your hinge gaps are sealed, there may not be anything you can do.
crash-n-burn is offline Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
Old 10-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by jdracing3
I like pancakes
Joined Jan 2008
2,098 Posts
You have way too much aileron deflection. Your ailerons are acting like airbrakes. Try knocking them down to around 36-38 degrees max deflection. Also try adding a little differential by going one degree less on down. To further increase aileron efficiency be sure to seal your hinge gaps. We use ultrakote and cut around the hinges. Here's a video showing our EF 88" Edge with a max aileron throw of 38degrees. Jase also fly's with only one rate programed into his Tx.

...hope this helps

Jase Dussia 2014 Joe Nall Thursday Noon Demo (7 min 53 sec)
jdracing3 is offline Find More Posts by jdracing3
Old 04-24-2016, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by DKSnyder1
United States, CT, South Windsor
Joined Aug 2015
138 Posts
Something is very wrong!! Your plane should roll like crazy with 40 degrees aileron deflection....
Do you have HUGE gaps in the hinge line?
Do you have adequate servo power? (any servos over 100 - 150 oz in should be plenty)
A separate servo on each aileron?
I can't imagine a problem that would not allow you to roll very fast....
Maybe you are expecting "blinding roll speed"....
DKSnyder1 is offline Find More Posts by DKSnyder1
Old 05-20-2016, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Some models just roll faster than others and there's not much you can do to increase what I'll call the "native roll rate".

I've had quite a few different types of models now from toamies to turbines and they are all different even between types. Case in point was my first gasser which was a 50cc Great Planes Patty Wagstaff Extra. That thing would roll as fast as any model I've ever had and it has relatively small full span ailerons. I've got an older 50cc WildHare Extra 300 which is a chunk lighter than the Patty was, has huge ailerons and I've tried all the tricks mentioned above, there just isn't any way that airframe is going to roll faster, you may have something similar....
Zeeb is online now Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 05-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by rcflip2 - Ozzy
Suspended Account
Joined May 2016
20 Posts
The 73" edge should roll faster than a Native American Indian!
rcflip2 - Ozzy is offline Find More Posts by rcflip2 - Ozzy
Last edited by rcflip2 - Ozzy; 05-20-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)

Quick Reply