logo
Old 08-14-2019, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by Harold Smith
United States, TX, Chandler
Joined Dec 2009
602 Posts
You can learn the limits of your engine by tuning the high end until it starts to sag back off untill it is running good then drop it down another 4 to 5 hundred RPM. That kind of tuning doesn't cause failures. The way I see it is most of us are flying aerobatic or 3D machines, we don't need that last little bit of RPM, what we want is for the engine to run well all the time we are doing our crazy stuff.---Smitty
Harold Smith is offline Find More Posts by Harold Smith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,708 Posts
I agree but I don't richen till it drops 4-5 hundred.I tuned the high for the highest rpm but with the richest setting.This will normally give a light tan color on the plug.But I know some think plug reading doesn't mean much.But you sure can see the color change with as little as 1/8 of a turn.To each his own I haven't fried one yet.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 08-14-2019, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
469 Posts
Tuning with a tachometer would tell you the limits, without as much risk as tuning and then flying to see where you're at. Just sayin'.

It does sound like the OP was right on the money before leaning it out. When you're at that sweet spot, it only takes a fuzz to go too far.

Deadsticks do occur though. We've all had them, not the end of the world most of the time. Of course the higher up you are when they occur is a definite advantage.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 08-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by snomas
Flyby
United States, AZ, Sedona
Joined Oct 2014
214 Posts
I was high up but our field in Sedona has barbed wire fencing & I hit the wire and damaged the rt wing, broke a prop and spinner. Its the 2nd time I have hit the wire. 1st time I over ran the runway. A takes a learning curve to land at our aircraft carrier type field set up! HA.

I will re adjust the needle valves to richen the engine. Thx for the advice guys!

I love my DA engine!!
snomas is offline Find More Posts by snomas
Last edited by snomas; 08-15-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
United States, CA, ARROWHED FARM
Joined Aug 2007
6,005 Posts
the desert heat needs a rich needle to keep engine cool. it might gurgle and sputter during transitions but don't worry and don't try to tune all of it out.
airboss/oc is online now Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 08-16-2019, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by snomas
Flyby
United States, AZ, Sedona
Joined Oct 2014
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc View Post
the desert heat needs a rich needle to keep engine cool. it might gurgle and sputter during transitions but don't worry and don't try to tune all of it out.
That's exactly what I was trying to do, thinking that it was too rich. I am used to glow engines and I'm still learning about gas engines tuning.
snomas is offline Find More Posts by snomas
Old 08-16-2019, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by crazyjoe
co
Joined Jan 2006
980 Posts
Detuning 4 or 500 rpm seriously. I can see 100. If you need to define more than that you have other issues.
crazyjoe is offline Find More Posts by crazyjoe

Quick Reply