logo
Old 12-02-2019, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by ultimate65
Los Angeles, CA
Joined May 2007
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankcase View Post
Currently Turbine Smoke Tube kits are out of stock as I was having some quality issues with my welder. I have been looking into new welding services and am happy to announce that after a few months I am confident with a new laser welding service & now working to rebuild inventory.

I expect to have High Output smoke tubes back in stock mid Dec and Standard orifice smoke tubes to follow.

Prototype turbo prop smoke tube kits are getting good reviews and should be also hitting the website soon.

Depending on the size of your turbine, one or two smoke tube kits could be used. Smoke tube kits include smoke tube, universal mounting clips, kink free backing rod for bending into shape, safety wire, installation instructions & logo sticker. Your pump and plumbing setup will determine if a check valve or valves are suggested.

Tygon tubing will also be needed to feed the smoke tube from your pump available separately. Turbine smoke tubes do not require the use of high temperature smoke oil tubing on the feed line.

For current product & shipping pricing https://baddogsmokes.com/price-listing or ordering, you can use the contact us form on the website https://baddogsmokes.com/ or PM me here on the forum. PayPal invoices are then emailed to you. Payment forms are either PP or CC.
Hi; Thanks for the reply. I'm running a Jet Central Cheetah (160 size) in an UltraFlash, so I believe a single nozzle should be sufficient. Let me know if you think different. Please PM with total cost and paypal invoice/address for payment.

When do you think I should anticipate receipt? Thanks
ultimate65 is offline Find More Posts by ultimate65
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-02-2019, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by crankcase
baddogsmokes@gmail.com
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate65 View Post
Hi; Thanks for the reply. I'm running a Jet Central Cheetah (160 size) in an UltraFlash, so I believe a single nozzle should be sufficient. Let me know if you think different. Please PM with total cost and paypal invoice/address for payment.

When do you think I should anticipate receipt? Thanks
Here is a post from a customer running a pair of standard orifice tubes on a 220N turbine.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...&postcount=200

Your 160N is sized in the middle ground where you could run a pair of standard orifice tubes or 1 single HO orifice tube. The latter option would be sized in the 180N-210N range & my choice if you wanting to do it on a single tube as you can dial the pump output down if needed depending on your flying style.

I might have a 14" High output TIG welded in the bin yet. Let me check and I will send you a PM shortly. If I do, I can invoice tonight and likely ship tomorrow or for sure Wed.
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Old 12-02-2019, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by crankcase
baddogsmokes@gmail.com
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
470 Posts
PM sent to ultimate65
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Old 04-17-2022, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2015
851 Posts
32% Decathlon

Name: DSC_3025.jpeg
Views: 25
Size: 75.4 KB
Description:
old nitroman is offline Find More Posts by old nitroman
Old 04-17-2022, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2015
851 Posts
decathlon

Name: DSC_2997.jpeg
Views: 25
Size: 80.7 KB
Description:
old nitroman is offline Find More Posts by old nitroman
Old 04-18-2022, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by Dave763
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Mar 2011
260 Posts
smoke nozzle injectors

I'm going to try stainless 10-32 rivet nuts in the headers to install smoke oil injectors.
I'll post again when I see how it works. I may need new headers by the time I'm done. LOL... but it's worth a shot
Dave763 is offline Find More Posts by Dave763
Old 04-18-2022, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave763 View Post
I'm going to try stainless 10-32 rivet nuts in the headers to install smoke oil injectors.
I'll post again when I see how it works. I may need new headers by the time I'm done. LOL... but it's worth a shot
Looks interesting...what's the ID of the hole on the inside of the pipe through which you'll be pumping the smoke oil?
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 04-18-2022, 02:53 PM
Joined Mar 2011
260 Posts
The rivet nut is 10-32. Same as the Smokin' Okie injectors. I believe 10-32 is 3/16''. The rivet material thickness range is .02'' to .13'' the header wall is about .047'' so it clamps the wall nicely.
I may remove some material from the inside end of the rivet nut.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by jkent27
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jul 2014
161 Posts
Following
jkent27 is offline Find More Posts by jkent27
Old 04-18-2022, 09:20 PM
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
The rivet nut is 10-32. Same as the Smokin' Okie injectors. I believe 10-32 is 3/16''. The rivet material thickness range is .02'' to .13'' the header wall is about .047'' so it clamps the wall nicely.
I may remove some material from the inside end of the rivet nut.
If your smoke fluid is coming out of the hole in the rivet then you'll produce a 'cylindrical stream' that will hit the header opposite to the rivet (see pic 1).
While the stream will 'splay/splatter' to some degree upon hitting the wall much of it will not, resulting in less smoke produced and more unvaporized smoke fluid blowing out the exhaust and all over the bottom of your aircraft.
If you look at the Smokin' Okie or Bad Dog nozzles, while the inlet ID is probably close to the same ID as your rivet, the outlet is a much, much smaller ID, producing a very, very fine stream of liquid (red arrow). This stream hits the solid metal at the end of the nozzle producing a fan type of spray pattern of tiny droplets of smoke fluid in the middle of the muffler or header. This gives a much better effectiveness of the heat in the exhaust upon the droplets, converting a much greater percentage to smoke (see pic 2 - black triangle is an 'rough approximation of the spray pattern)
Old 04-19-2022, 12:02 AM
Find More Posts by ampEater
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill View Post
If your smoke fluid is coming out of the hole in the rivet then you'll produce a 'cylindrical stream' that will hit the header opposite to the rivet (see pic 1).
While the stream will 'splay/splatter' to some degree upon hitting the wall much of it will not, resulting in less smoke produced and more unvaporized smoke fluid blowing out the exhaust and all over the bottom of your aircraft.
If you look at the Smokin' Okie or Bad Dog nozzles, while the inlet ID is probably close to the same ID as your rivet, the outlet is a much, much smaller ID, producing a very, very fine stream of liquid (red arrow). This stream hits the solid metal at the end of the nozzle producing a fan type of spray pattern of tiny droplets of smoke fluid in the middle of the muffler or header. This gives a much better effectiveness of the heat in the exhaust upon the droplets, converting a much greater percentage to smoke (see pic 2 - black triangle is an 'rough approximation of the spray pattern)
The only aircraft Ive seen that have that much flow rate are full size systems. Remember we only trickle fluids into our manifolds due their size and not wanting to choke our engines. Our requirements for smoke fluid injection are very unique in that fact. The ideal is a small small pass through line spraying onto a dispersal plate, like Bad Dogs Smokes system. problem here is getting a solid enough pressure at such a low flow rate. You need a super low kv pump motor and a good tight tolerance pump. These don't really exist in an ideal form yet, holy smokes is closest as they got a custom low kv 1806 motor and a decent gear pump

I have 4 planes with completely different smoke systems due the engine size, number of cylinders and hence flow rate.
ampEater is offline Find More Posts by ampEater
Last edited by ampEater; 04-19-2022 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:17 AM
Joined Mar 2011
260 Posts
I don't think you understand. The 10-32 thread will have the injector installed in it. The orifice in the injector is a very small size. The Holy Smokes pump will be hooked up to Smokin' Okie nozzles that will be screwed into the header.
The rivet nut is replacing the no weld kit.
Last edited by Dave763; 04-19-2022 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:56 AM
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
I don't think you understand. The 10-32 thread will have the injector installed in it. The orifice in the injector is a very small size. The Holy Smokes pump will be hooked up to Smokin' Okie nozzles that will be screwed into the header.
The rivet nut is replacing the no weld kit.
Okay, I totally didn't understand the configuration you intended to have, sorry about that....with what you've listed you're spot on my friend!
Old 04-23-2022, 08:16 AM
Joined Mar 2011
260 Posts
Injectors installed. Looks like it will work. I'll post again. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping to get decent smoke with the KS cannisters.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:15 AM
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Injectors installed. Looks like it will work. I'll post again. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping to get decent smoke with the KS cannisters.
Excellent, professional looking install.....smoke should billow out of those!

Quick Reply